Terror attacks by Islamist groups

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Skids wrote:Waiting for the ASIO boss and all the half wits who supported him to retract his ridiculous comment about no connection between refugees and terrorism.......
Keep waiting & blame all muslims.

There's no (causative) connection except in the fervent imagination of the extreme right. Even the Lib-Nats support the head of ASIO vs the rabid right wing of Australia (mind you some of that could be self blame). How did Barnaby Joyce frame it? How did Dutton the undertaker frame it? Then again they must be leftists

Let me see, the head of ASIO vs The rabid right & Skids? who to believe on Australia's immigration programme and the causative connection of terrorrism?
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Culprit »

I'm appalled by the Political Point scoring by the LNP. I get the perception that they would love a nice big killing in Australia to simply grab votes.
Mountains Magpie

Post by Mountains Magpie »

Culprit wrote:I'm appalled by the Political Point scoring by the LNP. I get the perception that they would love a nice big killing in Australia to simply grab votes.
Not votes, control :idea:

Just after 9/11, I watched an interview with an Irish professor (can't remember the University) who said the thing we had to NOT do was undemocratic things to preserve democracy.

I don't think enough people took him seriously.

MM
Spiral progress, unstoppable,
exhausted sources replaced by perversion
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Wokko wrote:
Culprit wrote:^^ More facts are being released. He is another nutter like Monis.
So an Islamist. Gotcha.
Honey, not all catholic priest are child molesters,

He's just a ^&*^*%, may he rot in hell with a million tainted souls like his
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

classic bag full of cats this one.

The guy was a Muslim
Was a refugee
Had been in strife before for attempted terrorist acts.

The incident is very much the product of a scattered mind. Probably little doubt he was influenced by ISIS, but was he following instructions? Does that matter if he was inspired by them?

These fruitbags claim credit for any action that suits their agenda, whether they had any direct involvement or not.

The concert bombing in England was by the child of refugees.

2 of the 3 peanuts so far who did this latest attack in London were refugees.

If 100% of acts of terror in Australia have been perpetrated by Muslim refugees (or children of), it's not accurate to say there is no link between refugees and terrorism. It's as silly as saying there's no link between Islam and terrorism.

Does it mean that all Muslims or all refugees are terrorists? Of course not. Is it reason to exercise extra caution ? yes.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Gods truth
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Mountains Magpie

Post by Mountains Magpie »

One thing I'd love to see is the retirement of islamist/islamic from the narrative. As I've said, these people are not moslems; indeed they have no religion at all. The arabic word is Takfiri. The english equivalent is apostate. If anything, that's what these people should be called.

That said, western leaders have consistently failed to label these haters by the one name (ISIS, ISIL, Daesh, IS etc) so I'm not holding my breath.

MM
Spiral progress, unstoppable,
exhausted sources replaced by perversion
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

Mountains Magpie wrote:One thing I'd love to see is the retirement of islamist/islamic from the narrative. As I've said, these people are not moslems; indeed they have no religion at all. The arabic word is Takfiri. The english equivalent is apostate. If anything, that's what these people should be called.

That said, western leaders have consistently failed to label these haters by the one name (ISIS, ISIL, Daesh, IS etc) so I'm not holding my breath.

MM
I'd just call them imbeciles. As i said in an earlier post, anyone willing to commit mass murder and suicide based on an idealistic premise with the promise of ever lasting sex in a paradise afterlife is not playing with a full deck of cards.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

stui magpie wrote:classic bag full of cats this one.

The guy was a Muslim
Was a refugee
Had been in strife before for attempted terrorist acts.

The incident is very much the product of a scattered mind. Probably little doubt he was influenced by ISIS, but was he following instructions? Does that matter if he was inspired by them?

These fruitbags claim credit for any action that suits their agenda, whether they had any direct involvement or not.

The concert bombing in England was by the child of refugees.

2 of the 3 peanuts so far who did this latest attack in London were refugees.

If 100% of acts of terror in Australia have been perpetrated by Muslim refugees (or children of), it's not accurate to say there is no link between refugees and terrorism. It's as silly as saying there's no link between Islam and terrorism.

Does it mean that all Muslims or all refugees are terrorists? Of course not. Is it reason to exercise extra caution ? yes.
Very balanced and correct, Stui. The question is what extra caution means when you convert it to concrete policies.
Two more flags before I die!
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Suppose it does.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Do you feel that something is missing from your life? Ok I'll try not to do originate from places and a culture as failing as the Arab states too much.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

Mountains Magpie wrote:One thing I'd love to see is the retirement of islamist/islamic from the narrative. As I've said, these people are not moslems; indeed they have no religion at all. The arabic word is Takfiri. The english equivalent is apostate. If anything, that's what these people should be called.

MM
So they're not Moslems..... though they say they are, they believe in the Islamic God, follow the prophet, base their acts on their understanding of the Quran, they follow a movement which wants an entirely Islamic state, they go to mosques, they say Muslim prayers, and they emerge from an Islamic culture. You can change the meaning of words, but on this basis, a duck is a handbag. The Pope is a traffic bollard.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

MM
I'm sympathetic to this view, but I also find it ultimately misleading: if someone thinks they're a Muslim and follows some Islamic precepts, it doesn't really make sense to not call them one, even if many of their beliefs are anathema to the majority of other Muslims. Refusing to call a spade a spade only plays into the hands of people like Trump and "PC gone mad" types, who use it as an example of liberal dishonesty.

What we need to understand is that only a certain proportion of Muslims are Islamists, only a certain proportion of Islamists are jihadists, and only a certain proportion of jihadists are actually involved in terrorism. Sam Harris's mate (and prominent critic of Islam) Maajid Nawaz has written some great, easy-to-understand stuff on these distinctions.

https://www.quilliaminternational.com/w ... its-roots/
Last edited by David on Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

In a strange way the Islamists may be a toxic cure, for at least they show the nature of the threat clearly. It is the soft takeover by mass immigration and quasi-legal means that would have been harder to resist. Ultimately, a large population that will vote as a bloc on religious grounds will become very powerful as our democratic parties pragmatically appease them, and at the rate of immigration and population increase, it is a matter of time before Muslim soft power in our societies begins to transform our freedom and exert its malignant, backward and intolerant influence.