Terror attacks by Islamist groups

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 75 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Everyone is an amateur Koran quoter except for the few islamic scholars who've done the detailed work, and even then the scope for interpretation is massive for how it's written.

Mohammed was a scattered ****, started off semi sensible (for a bloke who decided to declare himself the last Jewish prophet) and worked on similar stuff to the bible, then overtime (and conquest) his tone changed a lot and his words became a manifesto for conquest and war.

Problem is, it's not written chronologically. Where 2 parts conflict, the piece written last wins, but the casual reader has NFI which is which. So, so called scholars and Mullahs can quote passages with almost zero fear of contradiction.

if you read it, keep in mind the history. If two parts conflict, odds on the more violent one was the more recent and therefore wins.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

In the Universe we know.
Mountains Magpie

Post by Mountains Magpie »

Meanwhile in Iran, 7 dead in attacks:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/07/middl ... index.html

MM
Spiral progress, unstoppable,
exhausted sources replaced by perversion
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

stui magpie wrote:^

Everyone is an amateur Koran quoter except for the few islamic scholars who've done the detailed work, and even then the scope for interpretation is massive for how it's written.

Mohammed was a scattered ****, started off semi sensible (for a bloke who decided to declare himself the last Jewish prophet) and worked on similar stuff to the bible, then overtime (and conquest) his tone changed a lot and his words became a manifesto for conquest and war.

Problem is, it's not written chronologically. Where 2 parts conflict, the piece written last wins, but the casual reader has NFI which is which. So, so called scholars and Mullahs can quote passages with almost zero fear of contradiction.

if you read it, keep in mind the history. If two parts conflict, odds on the more violent one was the more recent and therefore wins.
Even the semi-sensible stuff is pretty barbarous. The core of Islam and Christianity are the words of Muhammad and Christ. If you read both as ethical manifestoes, one is full of bloodthirsty injunctions and bribes of sensuality, and the other majors on words like love, forgiveness, peace and redemption. I don't particularly believe in gods, but the words are the words. The present terror bears a relationship to the ethics being read closely by many young men. Those ethics validate their testosterone soaked impulses in the worst possible way.

To dismiss the words because it takes a professional to wrest them away from their manifest meaning is not really fair dealing.
Two more flags before I die!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Last edited by David on Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
HAL

Post by HAL »

I am glad we agree.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

^. No, the fact that many immigrants were Polish had effectively nothing to do with it.

There is negligible "hatred" of immigrants or foreigners in the U.K., but there is justified concern from 50% of the population that Britian's infrastructure and services are stretched by the sheer number of immigrants from many parts of Europe, and the fact that crime from Albanian and Bulgarian immigrants has been noticeable. There was also deep misgiving at the fact tthat Britain was disproportionately a target for for Eu immigration Because of its traditions of tolerance and the fact that everyone's other language is English, but our EU "partners" were uncompromising about the problem in pursuit of their integrationist ideological goals.

Poles are generally liked as good, hard and skilled workers, and our historic allies.
David

Post by David »

I should defer to your experience as someone who actually lives there, but that's certainly not the impression I've been getting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... fd8d1422b1

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 58866.html
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

David wrote:I should defer to your experience as someone who actually lives there, but that's certainly not the impression I've been getting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... fd8d1422b1

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 58866.html
Fair enough that you form that view on reading these. I have no doubt that there were a few ugly human beings whose tiny, thuggish brains switched to social harassment. I suspect it was happening before the referendum as well. We see this in every society. I hope they were rounded up and severely dealt with. They certainly don't represent 99.9% of British views and they had no causal influence on the 17 million who voted for Brexit.
Last edited by Mugwump on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Skids »

You're right, that was a stupid post.
Last edited by Skids on Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
David

Post by David »

That post isn't really worthy of a serious response.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

^ modern Islamic terrorism is born of technology and globalization, which has made the Muslim concept of the Ummah very present. Muslims believe via the Koran and in the Mosques that their loyalty to the Ummah transcends loyalty to their nation. Technology makes this visible and real to many, in a way that it was not in the past.

So if you see this passing, you'd have to describe how this history-making cocktail of ideology and technology will pass to make a potentially successful argument. History is not static, so a logic which models its trajectory on the IRA strikes me as weak.
HAL

Post by HAL »

What is History?
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Culprit »

think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

USA news reporting ISIS leader may be dead?
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!