Terror attacks by Islamist groups

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

My point is simple.

It's easy to point to the number of people in a country killed by Islamic extremists and claim that as it's a small number there is no real threat.

However, the Police and other security forces are on heightened alert and derail potential attacks all the time. So, if they relaxed because "there was no threat" a shitpile more would have died.

It's an argument akin to saying you don't get spam email because you have a good spam filter, therefore spam email is no threat.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

stui magpie wrote:My point is simple.

It's easy to point to the number of people in a country killed by Islamic extremists and claim that as it's a small number there is no real threat.

However, the Police and other security forces are on heightened alert and derail potential attacks all the time. So, if they relaxed because "there was no threat" a shitpile more would have died.

It's an argument akin to saying you don't get spam email because you have a good spam filter, therefore spam email is no threat.
No, I understand your point Stui - you made it. I was asking snore tooth.

I didn't say there was "no threat". I do, however, remain extraordinarily concerned about the air-time given to these clowns. The extent to which we give these guys free publicity is troubling.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Skids »

Don't count the days, make the days count.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:My point is simple.

No, I understand your point Stui - you made it. I was asking snore tooth.

I didn't say there was "no threat". I do, however, remain extraordinarily concerned about the air-time given to these clowns. The extent to which we give these guys free publicity is troubling.
I'm missing the Snore tooth bit, but I agree on the airtime.

The object of terrorism is to inflict terror, make people change behaviour because of the threat. the attacks are just tools by which they achieve that.

On that point they've already partially succeeded but the problem is if you don't give them airtime and something happens, people shriek they weren't warned. if you give them airtime you're giving them free publicity.

No win situation.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Another bad man with a car: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-15/c ... rl/8806520

Neither a terrorist, nor an Australian of Greek descent, apparently.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Pretty poor response to finding pineapple on your meatlovers Pizza I would have thought.
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Culprit »

Well the latest ISIS attack is a van driven down Barcelona's La Ramblas. Reports are varied on dead and injured. 12 - 20 Dead (approx) 80 Injured.

I have been there, no protection from a van driving along there. That may change.
Last edited by Culprit on Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pi

Post by Pi »

Pi = Infinite = Collingwood = Always
Floreat Pica
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Culprit wrote:Well the latest ISIS attack is a van driven down Barcelona's La Ramblas. Reports are varied on dead and injured. 12 - 20 Dead (approx) 80 Injured.

I have been there, no protection for a van driving along there. That may change.
for or from?

making those bollards look like a really good idea now
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Culprit »

think positive wrote:
Culprit wrote:Well the latest ISIS attack is a van driven down Barcelona's La Ramblas. Reports are varied on dead and injured. 12 - 20 Dead (approx) 80 Injured.

I have been there, no protection for a van driving along there. That may change.
for or from?

Fixed, "From". There were no bollards there 4 years ago and I am surprised that there are non there now after numerous events. I am all for Bollards, in saying that they will just move attack to a place that doesn't have them (no pun intended).
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Making me what?
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Last edited by David on Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

I believe I have heard that somewhere before.
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Culprit wrote:
think positive wrote:

for or from?

Fixed, "From". There were no bollards there 4 years ago and I am surprised that there are non there now after numerous events. I am all for Bollards, in saying that they will just move attack to a place that doesn't have them (no pun intended).
not sure if they have bollards there, i meant the ones they have put in Melbourne now. Thats the thing though isnt it? just how can you keep people safe from these attacks?

apparently 2 victorian boys were hurt.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
djh
Has liked: 1 time

Post by djh »

We were in Barcelona earlier this year, and there were definitely no bollards there then.

Those people sadly would have just been sitting ducks.