Ben Stokes

For all sporting topics - news, discussion, score updates etc. - other than Aussie Rules and Premier League Soccer.

Moderators: pies4ever, bbmods

Ben Stokes: What do you reckon?

Guilty as sin: ban him for 3 years
25%
Been a bit of a naughty boy: should be dropped and not tour
13%
Been a bit of a naughty boy: should cop a fine and remain Vice-captain
No votes
The lad was only sticking up for his mates; no case to answer
63%

Total votes: 8

Tannin

Ben Stokes

Post by Tannin »

Ben Stokes: What do you reckon?
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

Great forum this one. Gosh! I can't keep up with all the interesting posts.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
KenH

Post by KenH »

I haven't read too much about it as yet so not sure what he did. But I say f**k leave him home!
Cheers big ears
ronrat

Post by ronrat »

Pom probelm not ours. If he is allowed to tour and cocks up heads will roll. If he doesn't and gets to bowl his pies at Adelaide and Melbourne well they smack him. I have zero concern for ginger bearded tattoo twats
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Tannin wrote:Great forum this one. Gosh! I can't keep up with all the interesting posts.
Who is Ben Stokes? And why?
ANNODAM
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by ANNODAM »

WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

KenH wrote:I haven't read too much about it as yet so not sure what he did. But I say f**k leave him home!
No need to read anything. Just watch the security video. Says all you need to know.
K

Post by K »

I'm also disturbed by articles by the UK press like the following by Paul Hayward, where they whinge so much about alleged propaganda and make light of Stokes's actions:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/ ... 0g74b.html

Hayward describes the writing of George Dobell as "excellent". Well, Dobell on cricinfo really said some utterly disgraceful things in defence of what Stokes did, so one wonders what such praise says about Hayward.
thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 15 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

What a load of crap.
In the same news cycle, Steve Smith made sure he exploited Ben Stokes's absence on disciplinary grounds, saying: "I certainly don't condone that kind of behaviour [Stokes was arrested on suspicion of actual bodily harm after an incident outside a Bristol nightclub in September]."
Smith got asked a question about Stokes not playing the Ashes and gave a measured answer. He was diplomatic, not conniving or exploitative.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-15/a ... th/9052080

This dude needs to stop looking for excuses. I thought England played reasonably well and, if Stokes was available, probably would've gone 1 up in Brisbane and possibly taken Adelaide. As it was, England got beaten by a team, like most others, that's better on it's own dunghill.
K

Post by K »

Greg Baum responds:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/ ... 0hhlt.html

Baum refers to "the Telegraph's usually sage Paul Hayward".
K

Post by K »

Breaking news:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/ ... 0ir9z.html
England cricketer Ben Stokes has been charged with affray following an incident in the city of Bristol last September, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said on Monday.

Stokes, 26, and two other men are due to appear before Bristol Magistrates' Court at a date to be fixed.

The CPS said Avon and Somerset police had passed on a file of evidence on November 29 in relation to the incident, which left a 27-year-old man with a fractured eye socket, and further material was received in late December.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... cps-affray
The development comes more than three months after Stokes was arrested in Bristol on September 25, on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm following an altercation outside a Bristol nightclub. He has now been charged by the CPS with the public order offence of affray, which can carry with it a jail term of up to three years.

"The CPS was passed a file of evidence by Avon and Somerset Police on 29 November 2017 in relation to an incident of disorder in Bristol city centre," a CPS spokesman said. "Further material was subsequently received in late December. Following a review of all the available evidence, the CPS has today (Mon, 15 Jan) authorised the police to charge three men with affray in connection to the incident."

A statement said: "ECB is aware that Ben Stokes has been charged with affray in relation to an incident in Bristol in September. The board will now convene within 48 hours to decide on Ben Stokes' availability to represent England at this stage."
K

Post by K »

I wasn't previously aware of all the things George Dobell said on twitter regarding Ben Stokes.
Having seen some of his past twitter comments, I now think

George Dobell should have been fired on the spot by cricinfo.

Disgraceful beyond words...
K

Post by K »

K

Post by K »

K

Post by K »

It seems that The Sun's video footage has been very recently removed for "legal reasons"!
How curious... It's not as if one cannot still see the full minute on various other channels. It's not clear to me what legal reasons there might be for such an action.