#7 Josh Daicos

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

Two more flags before I die!
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Peter played 6 games in 1979, same number that Josh has played in 2018.

In this 6 games, Peter averaged 13 disposals per game and kicked a total of 2 goals 10 behinds

In Josh's 6 games this year, he's averaged 15 disposals per game and has kicked a total of 3 goals 1.

Mind you, Peter was 17 in 1979, turning 18 in September that year and Josh is 19 now, turning 20 later this year.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Jezza
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 195 times

Post by Jezza »

I didn't notice it at the ground, but did Daicos do a tagging job on Saad?

Some supporters are saying he did, but I can't clarify one way or another.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Presti35
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

For a 19 year old taken at pick 57 and 8 games under his belt, I think he's doing well.

If he wasn't the son of the Macedonian Marvel, would we be having this conversation?

You can compare him to Steele, you can compare him to Stephenson. But they were high picks.

Right now, he's in the team and doing what he needs to do. I'd say the signs are very positive.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

I'd keep him in until Elliott returns.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

I actually judge him less harshly because of his name. I just love having a DAICOS running around in black n white again.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
melliot

Post by melliot »

Ignoring the name, I like him as a player. He is typically clean, has some tricks, and has good work ethic. Not sure about being a future super star, but I'm confident he will be a solid League player for us at least.

Would like to see him hit the F&C crumb at pace more often.
Dr Pie

Post by Dr Pie »

It is always hard to be the son of a father who is a legend in the same field.

Teddy Whitten Junior would be remembered as being one of the better Bulldogs players of his time if his name had been Teddy Smith, instead he is remembered as being nowhere near as good as his old man.

Gary Ablett Junior has worked very hard to establish a career outside of his father's shadow, but despite the younger player's two Brownlows, any of us who have seen both Ablett's play know that Gary Senior was a far more brilliant player. (Gary Junior is almost certainly a better human being but that is not relevant to the discussion)

I think that Josh will develop into a fine player although probably not as good as his dad. If it comes to that Darcy Moore won't win two Brownlows the way his dad did either. But I am very glad to have both of them playing with Pies.
Born and raised in Black and White
ronrat

Post by ronrat »

Young Daicos shows elite handball skills, something hid Dad didn't do much unless to himself. Another preseason, 10 more games and with Stevo, JDG etc improving even more to scare the bejeesus out of opposition I expect next year he will be a weapon.
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Harrysz »

5 goals from the wing on debut, I was also at Daics's first game. He looked special from the first moment.
Young Josh hasn't had a great impact yet, but I believe he will.
melliot

Post by melliot »

Dr Pie wrote:It is always hard to be the son of a father who is a legend in the same field.

Teddy Whitten Junior would be remembered as being one of the better Bulldogs players of his time if his name had been Teddy Smith, instead he is remembered as being nowhere near as good as his old man.

Gary Ablett Junior has worked very hard to establish a career outside of his father's shadow, but despite the younger player's two Brownlows, any of us who have seen both Ablett's play know that Gary Senior was a far more brilliant player. (Gary Junior is almost certainly a better human being but that is not relevant to the discussion)

I think that Josh will develop into a fine player although probably not as good as his dad. If it comes to that Darcy Moore won't win two Brownlows the way his dad did either. But I am very glad to have both of them playing with Pies.
Interesting. I saw a fair bit of both Abletts.

Senior was awesome and unbeatable on his day, but had plenty of very quiet ones too.

Junior is/was a model of consistency , work ethic, more team orientated and brilliant moments at his best.

I'd take Ablett Junior every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
T2

Post by T2 »

Agree, Ronrat, his hand skills are sublime. I'm less sold on his kicking, however. It feels weird to tense up when a player named Daicos goes to kick the ball. I'm sure he'll improve in that area as he continues to develop.

Maybe his dad could give him one of those Peter Daicos GoalMaster footys to practise with...
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

Harrysz wrote:5 goals from the wing on debut, I was also at Daics's first game. He looked special from the first moment.
Young Josh hasn't had a great impact yet, but I believe he will.
Ricky Barham against the Hawks at Princes Park.