Wiz Fizz Cup: Pies V WC: Pre Match Discussion here thanks

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Louis

Wiz Fizz Cup: Pies V WC: Pre Match Discussion here thanks

Post by Louis »

My tip for the side to play in Subiaco.

B: King - Presty - Cloke
HB: Clement - Wakelin - Lonie
C: Buckley - Obree - Didak
HF: Cole - Rocca - Frazer
F: Davis - Tarrant - Burns
R: Richards - Licuria - Woewodin
Inc: Shackleton - Holland - Williams- Kinnear
Walker - Lokan - Davidson - Nixon

I have based this selection on some of the efforts observed on Fridays practice match. Although woey did not play I have still picked him and granted he may miss. Club indicated he had gastro but whispers were Hammy.Richards definate starter in the ruck, and dont be suprised to see Walker line up say on a MCdougall first up at CHB rather then wakes.
Shackleton will be given ground time, and Didak will be given more room to roam the wings in his new aim to become a fulltime midfielder.
Lokan(named on Bench) will primarily interchange with D King and Iam of the opinion that King will start on matera as Malty has touted for a while.
King was ok in the practice match without being flashy. dont be shocked to see King thrown in the guts.
Rogan will play forward predominantly and will change up with Richards who will need to start the ruck given his impressive form on Friday.

Edit from bbmods: Just a reminder to everyone that Nick's Scoreboard and Chat (aka Pies Chat) will be open for business during the weeks game. So, for those who can't get any access to the game over the radio or tv, or simply those people who want to chat to fellow magpie faithful during the game, drop into the Chat Room during the game. For more information, click on this link: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=15491

go pies

Edited to make this the pre match discussion thread - bbmods
I suffer from a compulsive manic love for Collingwood disorder.Born with it, cant be treated,cant be cured!!!
stoliboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by stoliboy »

I think Cameron Cloke is an outside chance. He performed well in the intraclub matches and has a solid physique.

Ben :)
Daks

Post by Daks »

yeah, i really like C Clokes chances!. If we are to stand a chance against the egirls, we need some big men for the ruck duels.. Richards and Fraser aren't big enough to be able to handle Gardiner and Cox alone.
d9 tank

Post by d9 tank »

Walker and Rocca can also ruck. No need to take over three players specifically for rucking but I wouldn't mind seeing Cam play across the HF line.

I'm not so sure King is a shoe in after a very ordinary praccy match but if we have an 8 man interchange he will definitely be taken.
JLC

Post by JLC »

That side listed is pretty strong on paper. I don't think they will send over a squad as strong as that.

I doubt Burns would be played for more than half the game, especially considering that during the season proper Burns is often given spells on the bench to help him through the season. It would seem pointless playing him much in a pre season game. I wouldnt give Bucks more than half a game either.

It would also be good if Rocca and Tarrant were also given spells on the bench to see if our forward structure can operate without them. Especially seeing as though Rocca wont be there rd 1 and Gaspar in the past has had the better of Tarrant. Try Fraser, Walker, Cam Cloke, Williams up there at various stages and see if any of them put their hands up and play well.

jlc
The Torres bounce is officially dead. You are walking alone now Fernando.
Magpie_Dan

Post by Magpie_Dan »

I would have thought Cam Cloke would have been a walk up starter for this match considering he has developed quicker than what most young kids would! I'll be very suprised if he dosent play!
PAUL MEDHURST'S #1 FAN
NATHAN BUCKLEY- 280 Games 284 Goals
Bucks You Are THE KING

AT COLLINGWOOD, YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
Canberra

Post by Canberra »

I'll give this a try.
Lokan Wakelin Clement
Buckley Prestigiacomo J Cloke Cole
Didak Shackleton Lonie
Burns Rocca C Cloke
Davis Tarrant
Fraser Woewodin Licuria

Holland O'Bree Richards Rowe Nixon Mullins King Walker
If they run with a six man backline, I would move Cole to the wing and Didak to HFF. Burns would have a roaming commission on the forward line.
Do not adjust your mind. The fault is in reality.
Joel

Post by Joel »

I think we will take over alot more youngsters than that. The Wiz Fiz cup gives us a chance to try them out against other sides.
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Footys Back!!!
My team for the Wizard Cup (taking into account fitness):

Players injured/unavailable: Buckley (rested), Johnson (hand), Lockyer (knee), Davidson (rested), McGough (O.P).

B: Cole, Presti, King.
HB: Lonie, J.Cloke, Swan.
C: Davis, Woewodin, Shaw.
HF: Nixon, Rocca, Tarrant.
F: Didak, C. Cloke, Kinnear*.
R: Richards, Licuria, Shackleton.
INTER: O'Bree, Fraser, Mullins, Walker,
B.Shaw, Lockan, Holland**.

I think that MM will take plenty of new/young players over to Perth. I also think that players such as Fraser, O'Bree & Pebbles will be rested. I am assuming that Wowey will still play dispite his bout of gastero. I think that Shacks will get a decent run as will McGoo, who we all hope can return to his blistering form of 2002 when people were labeling him the next Scott Burns. The problem is for both Shacks & McGoo is that they are not the quickest players over the ground, and the hard, dry Subiaco turf will not help. With the Wizard Cup a good place to test players in unfamilier positions, I think that both Magic & Rhyce will get a run on the wings. Richards MUST play in the ruck first up against a worthy opponant in Cox. Cam Cloke should start at full forward, lining himself up on Jacovich (if fit). Other players who will be watched closely (if playing) will be King, B.Shaw, Walker, H.Shaw, Nixon & Swan. Apart from the Shaw brothers, King, Nixon, Walker & Swan all played in either the GF or the Exhibition match against the Dockers. It would be an interesting duel of King vs Matera/Sampi. Walker should practice throwing his weight around and letting his presence be felt by all Eagles who cross his path. Nixon & to a lesser extent Swan are unknown quantaties at AFL level, with Nixons only match being that against Freo and Swan has had precious little game time in his 3 matches. Both have impressed in their matches for Williamstown.

Final Prediction: Pies by 23 points.

Go Pies!!! :)
Subject to Discussion...

*Kinnear comes in for Davidson.
**With McGough out, Holland comes in to play the same type of role.
Last edited by Johnson#26 on Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Daks is a Champ wrote:Richards and Fraser aren't big enough to be able to handle Gardiner and Cox alone.
I've heard that Gardiner wont be playing this week. Also on 3AW, MM said that Bucks is unlikely to play due to a lack of match fitness.
Canberra

Post by Canberra »

Johnno,just a question. James Clement not good enough?Also it was reported that Davidson won't go to Perth. They don't think he has had enough training yet. Which Shaw is on the wing? McGough has Osteitis Pubis. Just a personal opinion. The only place I would take Williams would be Iraq and it would be on a one way ticket.
zoia

Post by zoia »

Why cant people leave williams alone the kid will be a star, i still remember early last season alot of u posters were actually bagging shaw now everyone cant get enough of him hmmmm hypocrits
Canberra

Post by Canberra »

Personally, I have never bagged Rhyce Shaw. I will always bag Williams. He showed what he was capable of early in the season. By the 15th round he had worn out his welcome. How he kept his place in the side is a mystery to me. Betheras could only get a game as a bench warmer while Williams was allowed to take up space somewhere on the ground. If Williams shows any form I will gladly post an apology here.
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Canberra wrote:Johnno,just a question. James Clement not good enough?Also it was reported that Davidson won't go to Perth. They don't think he has had enough training yet. Which Shaw is on the wing? McGough has Osteitis Pubis. Just a personal opinion. The only place I would take Williams would be Iraq and it would be on a one way ticket.
Just resting Clemmo. Should have said that in my 1st post. Both he and Holland rested from best 22. Rhyce Shaw is the Shaw on the wing. Bith harsh on Willo, his 1st 3 matches were great but tailed off after getting crunched by Barry Hall - that collision ended up sapping his confidence - that's my theroy. Davidson not going to Perth? Ok, in his place goes Kinnear. I had no idea that Possum has OP :shock: Swap him for Dutchy.
Canberra

Post by Canberra »

Thanks Johnno,I suppose it depends on how serious the club are approaching the Wizzer. Correct about Williams and that is what I dislike about him. We know what he is capable of and with his height and mobility he is a hard match up. He didn't deserve to keep his place in the side at the expense of others. BTW, if he takes that trip to Iraq, I would hope Kinnear carries his bags.