Transgender politics and social issues

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 18 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

Yes, transgenderism is not only tolerated in Iran but actively encouraged.
So progressive.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29832690
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
thesoretoothsayer

Context matters.
If you're tolerant of transgenderism because you see gender reassignment as a way to "fix" homosexuals then perhaps you're not really that tolerant of transgenderism.
thesoretoothsayer

http://thefederalist.com/2018/11/26/mom ... sagreeing/

One side of the story but interesting nonetheless.
One parent is committing child abuse but which one?
David

Post by David »

thesoretoothsayer wrote:Context matters.
If you're tolerant of transgenderism because you see gender reassignment as a way to "fix" homosexuals then perhaps you're not really that tolerant of transgenderism.
As often seems to be the case, I think you're trying so hard to fight a straw man and play "gotcha" that you're missing the forest for the trees (and also the context in which I even raised Iran to begin with). Ronrat claimed that, in defending transgender rights, Faruqi was somehow being a hypocrite or betraying the basic principles of her religion. My point was that this isn't true and that, even when we put liberal Muslims like Faruqi (who, like liberal Christians, might well have social views that are in radical contrast to scripture) to one side, even some of the most conservative Muslims seem to, in fact, take a curiously tolerant approach to transgender rights (curious given their overt hostility towards gay people). What this means in practice is that, for people in Iran who are actually transgender (as opposed to gay and being pressured to transition), things actually aren't quite as bad as they could be and possibly even better than they were in some western countries not so long ago.

Whether that itself is a socially progressive view or evidence of a broader socially progressive tendency in conservative Islam seems to me an absurd question given that conservative Islam is, by its very nature, not socially progressive. Given we're talking about a country in which homosexuality is punishable by death, it goes without saying that this policy won't necessarily be of great benefit to gay people and may add to their persecution.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
thesoretoothsayer

Why does me putting islam's supposed tolerance of transgenderism into context upset you?
Don't you think it's relevant to know that this tolerance is based upon the Iranian regime seeing transgenderism as a "cure" for homosexuality?
David

Post by David »

Pi

Post by Pi »

....ok,,
so is this offensive?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFBOQzSk14c

pointing out someone cant have babies due to lack of biological equipment is no ones fault ; not even conservatives, or is reality just symbolic? :)
Pi = Infinite = Collingwood = Always
Floreat Pica
David

Post by David »

Last edited by David on Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pi

Post by Pi »

^
I find it funnier now more than ever..
but lets unpack this a bit , is it reasonable to offer transgender people IVF just as a gesture of our collective virtue and solidarity?

even if they cant have babies

and i'm not trying to oppress anyone.

but; what if the pythons got together and did another skit 50 years down the track offering Stan a box for the fetus to gestate in.......it just gets funnier .... even if I feel bad for laughing.
Floreat Pica
David

Post by David »

Pi

Post by Pi »

^
I get all of that and to some degree accept it but what ever we do we can not change biological reality, and this gets to the core why we see a lot of trans suicides. One of the things that no one wants to talk about is sex change regret:
https://world.wng.org/content/sex_chang ... t_silenced

We may look back on this era in 100 years time with the same view we now have of the lobotomies that took place in the 1930's.
http://thefederalist.com/2017/03/29/10- ... omy-craze/

Doctors make jokes about lobotomy surgery all the time. The lives they destroyed were not funny yet they still laugh at the absurdity of the procedure.
Floreat Pica
David

Post by David »

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Skids »

Pi wrote:....ok,,
so is this offensive?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFBOQzSk14c

pointing out someone cant have babies due to lack of biological equipment is no ones fault ; not even conservatives, or is reality just symbolic? :)
I like this in the comments section...

truthfilter
1 year ago
now the joke is on us we are living in a monty python sketch.

Yep.
Don't count the days, make the days count.