Practice Match: Pies V Swans - All discussion here thanks

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Prynny_22

Post by Prynny_22 »

Hey, Can someone please tell me if Zane Lenard Played today? I looked at that sheet thing he was down as number 44, i didnt see a 44 on the ground and on the afl website they said he played! Can someone please tell me what number he wore?
Prynny_22

Post by Prynny_22 »

magpie greg wrote:Zane Leonard was No 16..
Thank you, for a first game i think he actully played really well. I was there with my girlfriend and i told her to look for number 44 :(, but we did have a discussion bout who number 16 was.
Prynny_22

Post by Prynny_22 »

just to add to that i really have hope in Zane, Dandenong Stingrays Player(my local team) and also being state champion in events at little athletics.
JLC

Post by JLC »

I was a bit disappointed with the performance today. However we did have 10 - 11 regular senior players missing today

The only time we really got going was in the third quarter and thats was mainly due to Bucks sparking up the team with plenty of centre clearances.

David King - There is no way this guy could have been in contention for a grand final spot last year based from what i have seen. He doesnt chase much and his decision making is poor.

Jason Cloke - Panics when he gets the ball and generally just throws it on his boot. Needs to use his hands more.

McKee - A nice comedy routine and was definately "Stunned" a few times.

Lonie - Going backwards. Only a shadow of ther player he used to be.

Cameron Cloke - Will be fighting for a spot at Williamstown.

Without Rocca and Taz the forward line has no structure. King, Davis, Richards, Cloke were all tried down there but no one did anything out of the ordinary.

jlc
The Torres bounce is officially dead. You are walking alone now Fernando.
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Todays News: 29/2/04

Swans clip Magpies
Sportal
http://www.sportal.com.au/football.asp?i=news&id=48370

Swans finish all over Magpies
5:06:52 PM Sat 28 February, 2004
Matt Burgan
afl.com.au
http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&s ... eid=135697

Swans easily account for Pies
February 28, 2004
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,86 ... 11,00.html

Young Pies fail to impress again
By Peter Ker
February 29, 2004
http://realfooty.theage.com.au/articles ... 16531.html

Just Read This Line From The Age:
Missing a host of their best players, including Chris Tarrant, Anthony Rocca, Paul Licuria, Shane Woewodin and Simon Prestigiacomo, the Magpies continued to experiment with young players.
Lone Ranger
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Lone Ranger »

Remember folks ... PRACTICE MATCH. Lots of experimenting.

The good:
Didak
Richards progressing
Nixon progressing
Fraser may have taken another step
Looked half hearted till Hall started a fight and the Davis had a go at Bucks. We then decided to play for real for 5 minutes and kicked 4.

The worries:
King again looked out of his depth
Hoping for more from Lonie
Backline looks undermanned without Preti and Wakes

Next week Im sure Malhouse will experiment again. Wait till last practice match ... in that game we will be preparing for Rnd 1. If we go poorly in that one, then we can start being concerned, but not now.
1990BW

Post by 1990BW »

Why is no one listing under 'worries' the fact that Burnsy and Dids may have serious injuries?

If even one of these guys is out for a decent amount of time, it puts a serious dent in our team, let alone two. Geeez.
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Madi wrote:My friend and me were leaving Vic Park today at the same time as Scott Burns was leaving and we saw him hopping into his car,
I know his arm wasnt in a sling and I'm pretty sure his arm wasnt bandaged so I dont think it was broken.
I hope your right. If Burnsy & or Daks are injured for a large amount of time the our top 4 spot is in trouble. In the last 2 years, Burnsy has been fit & firing and so has the team, so to lose him would be like losing 2 players.
Lone Ranger wrote: King again looked out of his depth
Just what I've been thinking. He's done that in his last 3 games now. (Freo - London & Wizard Cup.)

I'm sure that we'll go well this year. Just think, we know that Bucks, Burnsy, Licca, Taz etc will play well. It's is very rare that a GF team for 2 years in a row will drop a long way and with these guys at the helm, there will be no probs.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

The Lone Ranger, the last practice match before round one is always an intra club one dude. That will tell us bugger all actually. I for one am worried compared to this time last year but time will tell if my pessimism is justified or just the usual magpie pre-season paranoia!!

Esto Collingwood Perpetua!
jeff corfe

Post by jeff corfe »

Im not terribly worried about it all , it was fantastic to watch another game at vicky park and some of the youngsters were quite pleasing to watch, still feb and still many players missing, im actually at the opinion we are quite behind other clubs at this stage.
Dont write of the maggies just yet!!!
JLC

Post by JLC »

My main concern is that the young players who have been at the club for 2, 3 or 4 years are not showing much (Lonie, Shackleton, Cloke, Cloke 2, Walker, King etc)

Our best team is still very good but its a long season and at some point our depth will be tested. At the moment its pretty shallow. Its about time some of these youngsters take the game by the scruff of the neck instead of leaving it to Bucks and the senior players.

jlc
The Torres bounce is officially dead. You are walking alone now Fernando.
Donny
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Donny »

Any updates on injuries ? Burnsy ? Dids ?
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
Eunos

Post by Eunos »

Reported in the paper that it was Burns elbow.
Has been scanned and no damage reported.
chalky

Post by chalky »

MMs favourite saying each season is that we must find another 10% improvement to stay ahead of the pack. 2003 we found it through Woewodin,early Williams, running Rhys Shaw, consistant Tarrant, Brownlow Bux and finally Fraser. If we have to raise the bar another 10% for 2004, can we see where it will come from? 1. Lockyer return? 2. Ruck Richards? 3. Dids with a bullet? Realistically, Where will the improvement come from and who WILL deliver?
So far only Dixon and Richards have put in consistant displays that would warrant senior squad consideration. The rest (according to posts)if true, are way off the mark. Not encouraging guys.
KingY'sChick32

Post by KingY'sChick32 »

The only reason all the others seem "WAY OFF" is because every supporter is giving them a hard time!!

Honestly they are all playing in their 2nd or 3rd AFL level game and everyone expects them to be Nathan Buckleys, playing on star player like Ben Cousins & Adam Goodes(a brownlow medalist!!) Really is it so hard for everyone to just give them a fair go?? Oh course, they may get nervous, make silly mistakes, and not have the same pace fitness. But isn't a practice match just that a "practice" for them to see what it is like to play at AFL level and to show them what areas of their game they need to improve??

At Collingwood your meant to stick together, so why not do that and give them some encouragement!!