Postmatch...comments here thanks..What on earth was that.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Sorry Proud Pies. I must have mucked up. Can't be bothered getting any-more news for now.
Mr Pieman

Post by Mr Pieman »

Buckley got 7.5 and Clement got 7. What figures are you reading!!!!
CARN THE PIES
JLC

Post by JLC »

Thats exactly how we played in pre season.

The fact that people named Walker and McKee at CHF etc is laughable as neither of them know how to play the position. Both but especially Walker get out out of the contest too easily. Walker needs a beeper to tell him when he is getting closer to the ball.

Cloke got smashed by Morrison in the first quarter as he was too loose. The move up forward appeared ok when comparing him to the rest of the nights effort up forward by the likes of McKee, Walker and Williams.

Williams cant even take chest marks and did very little if anything for the rest of the night.

Pebbles is easily our most important player in the team as we very rarely win without him. How nice would it have been to have Pebbles playing in the ruck and drifting forward. Fraser was out bodied by Ottens.

Anyway surely we will only get better.

jlc
The Torres bounce is officially dead. You are walking alone now Fernando.
Blanch

Post by Blanch »

Yep we are hurting, as we do after every loss. It's round 1 and I want to know how many of you would honestly say come the return game in round 16 or whenever it is, that you'll pick the Tiges to win?? I know I'm confident of knocking them off next time around.

2 grand finals is not rebuilding and I think it's about time we all realised that the media is a game for Collingwood, it's a tool to be used. You cannot trust what Balme, MM or Eddie say in regard to the club. The media won't be used to provide insight into what is really happening down at the club, even though our appetite for "the real story" is so large. We are not rebuilding and Balme doesn't believe that either....but he says it to the media. It's all about the best way to get through the year for the 22 blokes who will take the field.

Maybe we should bring out some of the threads from last year about the time of rounds 11 and 12....some pretty heavy bagging going on...and the same doubting thomas's were claiming premiership favouritism leading into the GF. Now some of us want scalps again. It's a beautiful roller coaster ride......enjoy it for what it is....know that we'll be going up the roller coaster soon enough.
My oxygen is Collingwood. Without it I die.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
perthmagpie

Post by perthmagpie »

You're right Blanch. Just like too much can be read into the pre season, too much can be read into the first game. We're low on confidence and playing like a team who is underdone and lacks any system to attack. I hope the catalyst for the turnaround (and most seasons turn around in the space of a couple of quarters) is soon. We are in our shells and have no excuses, but everyone have faith. I think the players need to think positive, watch some tapes of our best attacking footy and start taking risks. We aren't taking risks. Look how may goals we've kicked in matches since the GF. (average around 8 or 9).
Magpies love pies(Lol)
foxy

Post by foxy »

very well said perth magpie.

it's a confidence thing. being a young side we thrive on momentum. richmond had momentum last night. we didn't. we lost.

but we'll still finish top 4.
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

At least Cloke had a red hot dip in the forward line this time. Yeah he droppped marks, yeah he looked out of place, yeah he didn't kick a goal - BUT his attitude was way different to last years GF - he contested. That attitude shift could be what makes this kid.

Next week if i was on the selection panel

Nixon - Shaw
Rocca - Walker

2 changes

just maybe C.Cloke - McKee
although Stunner could be worth giving another couple of games.

It is entirely possible that we won't see any kids get a game until game 4 - after we have played Brisbane - as the Lions have a nasty habit of inflicting scars upon kids.
Get back on top.
perthmagpie

Post by perthmagpie »

I think the changes might be:

IN: Rocca, Richards
OUT: Walker and Williams or McKee

Tex is not ready yet, needs more time. Richards from what I saw in the Subi debacle in Feb has the natural tapout skills. Its time to take the pressure off Josh and develop Richards even if all he does is take the tapouts and not do much else around the ground.
Magpies love pies(Lol)
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

yeah tess Richards-McKee could be worth a shot
Get back on top.
foxy

Post by foxy »

great observation Cam. after seeing cloke contest a few times in the forward line last night it suddenly dawned on me - they're trying to make him into the new molloy! sounds like a decent ploy to me. he'll never rip sides apart with attacking power but as a forward-defender (i.e. a bloke who keeps the ball in our forward line & doesn't let it leak out as it did during the first 3 quarters last night) he could be quite handy.
Donny
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Donny »

Same Pie names missing

By Scott Gullan - Fox

TALK about perfect scripts. Nathan Brown best-on-ground, Matthew Richardson five goals and Richmond an emphatic season opening 40-point win over Collingwood in front of a packed MCG.

Not even in his wildest dreams could Danny Frawley have penned this one. Maybe, it crossed his mind back in October when Brown walked into Punt Rd but, this was Tiger nirvana. It doesn't come any better if you have black and yellow in your veins.

While the Tigers had plenty of impressive players, this was the Brown-Richardson show.

The dynamic duo had 33 kicks, 12 handballs, 20 marks and 7.5 goals between them.

That was more than most of a Collingwood team that made a mockery of coach Mick Malthouse's assertion they weren't underdone.

The Pies looked sluggish and rusty and it was only captain Nathan Buckley's efforts (31 possessions) and some ordinary kicking for goal by the Tigers that kept them from being blown away.

A five-goal third quarter with three in 10 minutes from Richo, who was too big and strong for Simon Prestigiacomo, was the decisive time.

It put the competition on notice that, just maybe, he and his under-achieving pals are ready to produce.

Yes, it's Round 1 and the Tigers did win six of the first eight games last year before crashing, but you couldn't help but be upbeat about the way Frawley's team went about their work against last year's grand finalist.

While Brown took much of the focus for obvious reasons, his midfield helpers were great with Kane Johnson (31 possessions) getting the points against Buckley and Mark Coughlan (22), Wayne Campbell (20) feeding on a dominant Brad Ottens performance in the ruck.

Andrew Krakouer played his best game for the club and his aggressive work in the forward line with fellow goalsneak David Rodan was, at times, awesome while the work of ex-Lion Shane Morrison at centre half-forward also was eye-catching.

Take Buckley, Josh Fraser and Alan Didak's last quarter out of the equation and the Pies were ordinary.

The worry for Malthouse is that a lot of the same names who let him down on the last Saturday in September were again missing.

Jason Cloke started on Morrison, lasted 15 minutes, was benched and then went forward, finishing with three kicks. Steve McKee started at centre half-forward and had no impact while Rhyce Shaw was embarrassed by Brown early. Shane O'Bree, Leon Davis, Andrew Williams and Tristan Walker had 13 possessions between them.

Apart from the opening minute of the match, the first half was a sorry tale for the Magpies and an ominous warning of what was to come.

When Scott Burns marked and handballed to Buckley for the first goal from 55m with just 32 seconds on the clock the Pies fans were dancing in the aisles.

It was another 45 minutes before they had another chance to stretch their legs.

Richmond should have been five goals up instead of 11-points at quarter time.

Easy misses by Ottens, Chris Newman and Coughlan kept the Pies alive.

Brown had four kicks in the first 10 minutes, eight for the quarter and 17 touches for the half.

When Richardson got busy early in the second quarter with two goals, the Tigers gained reward for their dominance. A Coughlan goal from 30m saw the margin out to 28 points.

Ben Johnson got the Pies' second goal at the 16-minute mark after Fraser marked on the boundary line and passed inboard.

A Greg Tivendale bomb from 55m was the Tigers quick response before Didak snapped one close to the siren to keep the game alive.

Buckley had 18 touches in the opening half and was the Pies' only good player, a trend that continued all night.

Just when the Tigers fans were looking for the fat lady to sing, two goals early in the last term from Tarrant, who was well held by Darren Gaspar, and Didak gave the Pies an unlikely sniff.

All hope faded when Didak missed a sitter from 20m at the six-minute mark that would have got his side within four straight kicks.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Changes if I were a selector:

In: Rocca, Richards, McGough.

Out: Shaw, Lokan, Walker.

Pebbles is obviously important, Richards needs to play now and McGough must be given a fair go early on (if over his groin injury).

Shaw, Lokan & Walker were awful last night and need a spell at Willi. Tex needs to speek to Rowdy about tackling and providing a contest.
favourites 2008

Post by favourites 2008 »

My 4 reasons for def last nite:
- Bombing into goal insteed of chipping it around was never going to work tarrent doesnt take big pack marks and either does fraser.
- Front and Sqrs, never there all flew for marks and rich stayed down and dominated at ground level.
- Same team that got walloped in the gf. Something had to come from that g/f lost last year but it seems MM hasnt learn anything.
- finally lack of want to put the body on the line, cant win being a spectator.

Bring back Rocca we slove one problem however we need to solve the other problems, weve had success in the past 2 years by chipping the ball around and not banging it in long, why change a good thing??
tazza2000

Post by tazza2000 »

Three things that get me pissed off:

- Players trying to judge the bounce of an oval ball - Happened at least 8 times last night

- Players not maning up - It is not hard, just stick to your man and cause the turnover

- Midfielders blazing and kicking the ball blindly into the forward line - Just slow down and eventually options will come

All we need are some level-headed players that can do the right thing at the right time, half of them out there looked over .05.
stik35

Post by stik35 »

Pretty disappointing loss.

I'm all for peaking in September but the fact is, every game counts and the one thing that stood out for me last night was that Buckley was almost a one man band like in the dark years I'd rather forget.

Only a handful of players, Lica and Woey among them stood up and tried to help him out.

Tazza got no support either, but at least he went to the aid of Shaw who was being pushed around by Hall - see the pic in the Hun today.

Shaw is now an easy target for the opposition players as he continually turns the ball over.

What happened to Burnsy? A rare poor game from him.

O'Bree barely sighted.

It was good to see Presti back and he tried his best but was no match for Sooko who has piled on the pounds.

Clement also tried hard and it was good to see him out there after his injury scare.

Brodie did a few good things as did Didak but pity he and Tazza missed a few set shots.

I will just put this game down to "one of those shockers" you have occasionally and pray that they get their act together next week.
If you bleed black and white you'll never walk alone.