Postmatch...comments here thanks..What on earth was that.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

WKB

Post by WKB »

I am disappointed but I'd have to check the posts from this time in 2002. Same story, no depth, poor performance etc. It reeks so much of that start to the season, underdone, flogged in the practice matches (or the round robin style wizard cup then) so although I was dissappointed I"m not at panic stations.

What we can't afford is to lose several in a row, we need to snatch a couple while our players are getting their legs back and then burst on as the other teams start to flounder, get injuries etc (because it does happen)
Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

The 40 points loss was dissapointing to say the least, we all agree on that. What I found even more dissapointing was the fact that once again we refuse to try some of our untried youngsters...Round 1, give them a crack, if it doesnt work so be it. How else are we to give them a taste and some much needed experience.

To many players are being given too many chances! Yes its Round 1, but I just hope that eventually we bite the bullet and try a King, Davidson or Richards, instead of talking about it.

Certain players must be on there last legs....Williams has never impressed me, but clearly Malthouse rates him. Shaw is the most frustrating player we have had since Stephen Patterson. McKee is just about finished, cant jump and gets smashed by more athletic ruckmen. Davis...well, you cant expect to kick a few rubbish time goals each week and do little else. Cloke may be the best 3rd man up in the League, but after that......His disposal is ordinary at best, and all it takes is a half intelligent opposition midfield to figure out someone is loose ( e.g Morrison on Fri night) to show just how blatanly unaccountable for his direct opponent he is. O'Bree is either on fire or not even seen...never in the middle. Bit hard to mark Walker seen as he played only 9 minutes.

As far as Fri night went, Bucks, Woewy, Clement, Daks and Lica can hold there heads high, while Fraser, Tarrant and Wakes did all they could in the circumstances.

Getting Anthony back will be a plus, but if we think its gunna make a 40 point difference we are kidding ourselves. We could start by being more direct and kicking longer, leave Taz and Dides on there own in the 50 to cause some havoc...instead of cluttering up our forward line with blokes who dont have much history of playing forward.

Lets just look forward to a new week, and the Bulldogs on Saturday, where Im sure we can bounce back. Cant tell you how relieved I am that Essendon was spanked....took away some of the pain!!

Cheers.
droche 2004

Post by droche 2004 »

BRING IT ON.
JLC

Post by JLC »

Yes it may only be round 1 but in the context of our season this week is crucial. If we were to lose to the Dogs that would be two winnable games down the drain with Brisbane at the GABBA to follow. If we play that crap like we did in Friday we should not send a team to the GABBA.

The difference with the loss of Essendon is that they probably didnt expect to win that game anyway.

Lets see what type of response the Magpies come out with this week...

jlc
The Torres bounce is officially dead. You are walking alone now Fernando.
Kristin5

Post by Kristin5 »

I've taken the time to digest Friday night's loss, yet still am very upset about it...not only did we lose to Richmond, but Richo, the JOKE, got 5 goals! What is the world coming to???

I know everyone is saying it's only Round 1, and to some extent I agree, but we were absolutely woeful and probably should've lost by more (the scoreboard flatters us, I think). Let's not forget too, that Richmond actually were very good (whether their players can all gel so well and so consistently is another matter...)

Our forward line is the problem - we had no targets. Poor Tazza had to chase kicks way up the ground, leaving noone to kick goals. Dids was good, but really needs to kick more goals. I would've preferred to see Josh up forward all night, stretching their defence, and play McKee in the ruck (seeing we didn't have the luxury of using Rocca :( )

Cole was terrible...I am yet to be convinced that he is a senior player. O'Bree barely got any game time, that I could see; Shaw was shocking too as was Leon Davis (who plays far too many ordianry games); Cloke is not comfortable playing up forward and I don't know why they persist; and Andrew Williams, well the less said the better, especially when I watched the West Coast match yesterday and saw Damien Adkins do some useful things (and boy, has he bulked up! What do they feed them across the Nullabor???)

Burns had a terrible game - but fortunately they are few and far between.

We were saved by Nath (as usual!!!), Woey, Lica and Wakelin. The problem though is that Nath is getting on a bit (that kills me to say it, as I am older than he is!!! :oops: ) and we shouldn't still be so reliant on him. Bu if he didn't play, it would've been an absolute rout!
"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls.
JLC

Post by JLC »

The fact that they had to switch Cloke up forward was as a result of two things.

1. Cloke got spanked by Morrison. Thank goodness Cloke was not played on Richo or Ottens or the carnage could have been greater. Cloke plays far too loosely. Teams have woken up and play through Clokes opponent.

2. Walker, Williams (who i think can play good football but needs to be dropped atm) and McKee didnt provide a contest up forward. Maybe we should nickname this trio the 3 stooges. So Cloke goes up there so he can provide the contest. Only problem is when he does get the ball he cant kick it anyway....lol Next game watch Walker and you will notice he runs around like a headless chicken to make it look like he is doing something. The guy has no clues.

Still far from convinced on Jason Cloke but at the moment my focus is on Williams and Walker as both have been terrible.

We have too many pawns in our team and not enough Kings, Bishops and Rooks.

jlc
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

according to the paper Walker was on the ground for 9 minutes. How can anyone (supporters) make a judgement on his abilities if he's on for 9 minutes.

McKee ........98 mins of ground time, that equated to 3.5 qtrs ...so he was given plenty of ground time ....6 clangers, and freed for grabbing the ball from the ruck ..... seriously give Richards a go

Williams didnt play well pre season either - v melb was a shocker, apparently he has bruising or recovering from sumtin - hope he recovers quick ! that dropped chest mark on the lead v richmond would have been a handy goal if he had marked. Williams fully fit is a quality player.

Re the whole forward line ...... go thru the pain of watching the replay ..... if u can be bothered - delivery from wing into the 50 was crap.
How can ya blame forwards when the ball is delivered like that.

for those who went to see the pies training pre round 1, was evident that Shaw, Lokan, Williams, Woe, Presti werent match fit.

Watched Cole kicking at goal, (pre rd 1)- scary .......... i reckon he's tough at the ball (most of the time) the richmond game wasn't a good one - but his disposal still needs a lot of work.

The only real problem i see is we refuse to rectify our ruck deficiencies year after year ....... its criminal .... how much better would we be with a strong ruck combo ?

Was and still am expecting a slow start to the season, no need to sound alarm bells just yet ...... lets see wot happens in the first month.
The only way to discover the limits of the possible, is to go beyond them, to the impossible.
JLC

Post by JLC »

Well based on what i saw pre season and on Friday night the guy has no clues. What position do you think he is best suited to ?? I just dont think he is a natural footballer.

Just watch him next game and where he runs and how easily he can get put out of a contest.

I have watched some of the game already. Heavens only knows why McKee was played at chf for some of the game?? I cant believe they never tried Tazza at chf with Rogan at FF.

What type of delivery do you think Richardson has been putting up with for a decade at Richmond?? The forward structure in the last quarter was much better as Cloke gave a contest which not many others were providing.

Cole i think just needs to improve his vision and decision making and he will be fine.

jlc
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

Geez what a shocker. Positive note, it's only Round 1 but we must improve alot in order to beat Doggies. We cannot go into Round 3 being 0-2.

Why MM took so long to move Macca in the ruck, who knows. Josh should have been in the forward line for the whole night with Macca doing ruck duties. Mind you we were killed in the ruck, we could also barely get a clearance from centre sqr, killed at the stoppages. Delivery into forward line was poor, when we did have someone there marks were dropped or our boys had to contend with min two Richmond players also contesting. Not good enough.

Bux was great as usual, thought Woey and Jimmy had good games.
As others have said, why the hell is Williams out there? It is so frustrating. He needs time back at Willi, alot of time. Shawry needs to go back there too and get confidence, he still clearly is not rid of last years ghosts. Cole I would persist with. But we have got to bring in the young kids, give Richards a go in the ruck.

Hopefully we will get some changes this week and hopefully the match committee will agree with the changes we have been suggesting.
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Slayer wrote:according to the paper Walker was on the ground for 9 minutes. How can anyone (supporters) make a judgement on his abilities if he's on for 9 minutes.
But you'd have to say that whilst Tex is an imposing figure on the ground and dosen't always get much game time but he just has no footy brain. Until he gets one he must bide his time out at Willi.
piepower

Post by piepower »

Rhys Shaw is he for real, makes a lot of costly mistakes . Time he got he's marching orders
Premiers 2010
Harvey

Post by Harvey »

Quick Fix:
Drop Shaw and davis and bring in mcgough, king swan or someone similar.

stick cloke in the backline as he will never be molded into a forward. i would rather back tex or even mckee to become the spare key forward when rocca is out.

bring back rocca

drop williams and bring in richards
sherrife

Post by sherrife »

hi all, ive been away since last GF loss because i just cant handle all the preseason talk... i was EXTREMELY dissappointed with our recruiting and i would be interested to know what we got for trading away scotland??

anyway moving right along, i think malthouse maybe feels that after investing so much time with lokan and shaw last year that it would be a waste to dump them back to the reserves. of course i disagree COMPLETELY but i think that may be his logic behind selections... i think he has forgotten the very motivating force of wanting to earn your way back in the seniors. the sad thing is i agree that it has been a waste of time putting lokan and shaw in the seniors for the last year or so but unfortunately they have not made an impact. Shaw is a weak-as-piss frontrunner who cant pick up a kick unless he's alone on the wing against a crushed opposition. Lokan just doesnt have anything going for him! what has he done in the last year? i cant remember a single peice of quality play by him? please correct me if im being too cynical? at least obree has shown he HAS talent, he CAN get it back somehow... shaw and lokan have never played a single great match?!

so anyway, we need to cut our losses and try some *sigh* more rookies. try them ALL! until one of them plays some sort of standout game, we cycle them all through the team. Hoping for improvement in naturally soft players (im not talking about shaw of course) is pointless

one more thing, i really really REALLY REALLY get pissed off by our pathetic tackling, its been happening for 2 years now and apart from burns and sumtimes bucks and cole we are a team of shirt-grabbers, not real tough tacklers. *cough* lokan *cough*

bucks after watching you on friday nite, i am in more in love than ever! lol of course its a very straight, masculine love :P im sure that the core group of senior players will pick up and perform after a few weeks and that on the backs of these 12 or so players, we will be able to make the finals. however like last year, we will have passengers and i sincerely believe we cant win a p'ship with 4-5 players who dont show any heart or grit.
I would be ashamed to admit that I had risen from the ranks. When I rise it will be with the ranks... - Eugene Debs