Things that make you go.......WTF? Part II

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Tannin

Post by Tannin »

think positive wrote:Yeah but someone will go though his family history and find something! I wonder if street names are next on the agenda

Meanwhile how do you feel about the Kookaburra culls in Tassie?? Is it really necessary
As I very vaguely recall, Dr Coon was a right aresehole of a human being. But he was nothing compared to the utterly nasty Dr Kellog (the corn flakes man). No shortage of nasty family history on a Corn Flakes packet, that's for sure.

Culling kookaburras? Sure. They are feral, don't belong here, and endanger the native birds. But it's a bit of a waste of time if they aren't going to go the whole hog and wipe them out. (That is almost certainly impossible with any sensible budget. And if you did have that sort of money you'd go for House Sparrows and European Blackbirds.)
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

What birds are native to Tassie that aren't in the rest of Aus where the Kookaburra is also native?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

There may be a better answer - but here’s an article that identifies 12 Tasmanian endemic species that are found nowhere else on Earth:

https://tasmaniantimes.com/2018/06/all- ... -birds-d1/

Post by 5150 »

think positive wrote:Yeah but someone will go though his family history and find something! I wonder if street names are next on the agenda

Meanwhile how do you feel about the Kookaburra culls in Tassie?? Is it really necessary
Nup, these loonies won’t stop at street names, suburbs, dairy goods and beers.
They are going after the States of Victoria and Queensland.

Can’t post the link at the moment but it’s a Greens senator or candidate.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

What’s wrong with, say, “Kevin” and “Charlene” as names for these States?
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I prefer names with character. eg

Tittybong

Mywee

wunghnu (pronounced one Ewe)

Poowong

Yorkey's Knob
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Yorkey must've had something pretty special going on to get a suburb named after him :lol:

Post by 5150 »

Pies4shaw wrote:What’s wrong with, say, “Kevin” and “Charlene” as names for these States?
We could all lobby for Victoria to be changed to Nicks.

We'll get black and white number plates with the logo. Nicks... the place to be or Nicks... we don't talk smoke and mirrors behind the shadows.
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

stui magpie wrote:What birds are native to Tassie that aren't in the rest of Aus where the Kookaburra is also native?
Pies4shaw wrote:There may be a better answer - but here’s an article that identifies 12 Tasmanian endemic species that are found nowhere else on Earth: https://tasmaniantimes.com/2018/06/all- ... -birds-d1/
Not to mention the ones which are found on both islands (i.e., are not Tasmanian endemics like the 12 listed by P4S) and require both places for survival. The Swift Parrot and the Orange-bellied Parrot are two obvious examples, though there may be others. Note that both species are obligate hollow nesters - in other words, they can only breed in tree hollows (something that is in very short supply in Tasmania because crazy-inappropriate logging is practically a way of life here) and must compete for those very scarce hollows with introduced kookaburras, not to mention introduced Common Starlings.

I am not up to speed on the impact of kookaburras on Tasmanian wildlife, but it certainly has the potential to be a major problem. Whether it is already, I don't know. But look at it this way: no-one is going to spend money culling them if they don't feel it is essential. Environmental budgets are mega-tight, especially under this government.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Bucks5 »

The coco pops monkey is now under threat.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/20 ... s-box.html
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I like Kookaburras.

I like Brumbies

I may have to go shopping and get some Coco Pops and Froot Loops, some C00n cheese, some chicos and redskins from the lolly aisle and get a slab of beer from the Colonial brewery, as long as it doesn't taste like Emu Export. WA can do wine well but only Adelaide does worse beer.

Post by 5150 »

stui magpie wrote:I like Kookaburras.

I like Brumbies

I may have to go shopping and get some Coco Pops and Froot Loops, some C00n cheese, some chicos and redskins from the lolly aisle and get a slab of beer from the Colonial brewery, as long as it doesn't taste like Emu Export. WA can do wine well but only Adelaide does worse beer.

I buy some fads and we’ll meet at the E.S Brown oval in Toowoomba and have some toasties...
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

^ I loved the Big Boss and Fags lollies when I was a kid
Fighting against the objectification of woman.