George Floyd Police killing and protests

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Wokko

Post by Wokko »

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:A warning from Venezuela

https://twitter.com/TruthHammer888/stat ... 7329537025
Lol no-one had a problem with statues of Saddam Hussein being toppled in Iraq or Lenin and Stalin in the Eastern Bloc after the fall of the USSR. So is the removal of statues is a universal harbinger of social collapse, or is it possible that ... these things are wholly dependent on cultural context?

I'll give her one thing (and this holds true for the examples I mentioned above, too): statues coming down everywhere often is a sign of radical cultural change. Sometimes it's good; sometimes it's bad. But for US BLM protesters, radical cultural change is obviously the point of what they're doing, and many of us wish them nothing but the best in achieving that.
Pulling down the self erected statue of a brutal dictator isn't the same as tearing down or defacing every historical statue regardless of who or what they are, as long as it's a white guy. It's not some noble symbolism of freedom it's destruction of history and the warning is because it's straight out of the Communist revolutionary handbook and there's a very recent example of it and where it leads.

Getting pretty sick of the 'racist' snipes as well

https://www.facebook.com/ThePostMillenn ... 275509380/
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

It's explicitly a Marxist movement, they've said so themselves. Communists and Nazis need to be categorized the same, both disgusting, murderous ideologies that lead to suffering a death wherever they appear.
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Pies4shaw wrote:You always get stupidity at the margins of any movement. For goodness’ sake, someone has defaced Stevie Ray Vaughn’s memorial in Texas. I can’t even begin to think why he would be a target. I expect he was just a statue in a park and got done as part of a “job lot”.

As for NASCAR, it seems to have just 1 black driver in the entire competition. It isn’t that long ago that black Americans didn’t get to play football or ice hockey. These under-representations are never because minorities don’t have the skills - they’re always because of systematic prejudice.
since Nascar is really big in the southern & midwest states, ie redneck country, that could have something to do with it,

https://www.ranker.com/list/nascar-driv ... ker-sports

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local ... up-series/

but as 1 person commented on the second link: "Most people see another great Nascar driver but thanks to pointing out of this story many people now see color .i could care less whether he white or black, i just see another man or woman in Nascar driver seat!"

i get that!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

David, that is quality posting of the highest order. There is a lot more to it than the sentence following, nevertheless, your conclusion tells it all.
David wrote:Basically, this is all a lot less like a revolution than it is a national rebranding exercise.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

Pies4shaw wrote:Some of the locals don’t find that persuasive, by the looks of it If you can’t stop the police killing sleeping, unarmed individuals, perhaps fast-food chains might get the message that it can be a poor business strategy to call the police to respond to sleeping, unarmed individuals.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-14/ ... a/12353338

Burnt to a charred rubble, apparently.
:shock: The woman arrested for burning down an Atlanta Wendy’s as retribution for the police-killing of Rayshard Brooks was his “girlfriend,” her lawyer confirmed Tuesday.

Brooks referred to Natalie White, 29, as his “girlfriend” during the June 12 traffic stop that preceded his death, body cam footage shows.

White turned herself in Tuesday after a warrant was issued for her arrest.

“[White and Brooks] were close friends,” her attorney, Drew Findling, told The Post, confirming that she was the woman Brooks referred to in the body cam video.

Brooks is married to Tomika Miller.

Findling declined to comment further on Brooks’ relationship with White “out of respect to the Brooks family who had a funeral today and is grieving the loss of Rayshard Brooks.”

https://nypost.com/2020/06/23/accused-w ... nd-lawyer/
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

I don't really understand why you're referencing my post, there. Do you think it makes it better business if your fast food restaurant is burnt down by the victim's girlfriend?
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

^ *sigh* No it was because that was the post about it being burnt down that’s all.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Hehe, blind Freddy can see that’s about the girlfriend/wife situation!

And wow, that’s gunna be messy!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Not messy at all, he's dead.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Not messy? Didn't you watch the video?
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Yep, and compared to managing a wife and girlfriend, not messy.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

stui magpie wrote: ..... compared to managing a wife and girlfriend, not messy.
:lol: :lol:
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

stui magpie wrote:Yep, and compared to managing a wife and girlfriend, not messy.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds exhausting - not that I’d know :P