Vale / in Memorium

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

ronrat

Post by ronrat »

stui magpie wrote:Shane Tuck, son of Hawthorn legend Michael, played over 150 games for Richmond, dead at 38

No reference to how he died but the bit at the bottom of every article about him, referring to Lifeline and Beyond Blue tells you all you need to know.
His mother is also an Ablett so more pain for Gary Jnr.
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

yes, his aunty, Gary seniors brother
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Very sad for such a talented musician: admitted to too much LSD which may have led to his psychotic illness. Poor bugger.

I’ve got a John Myall Blues Breakers record or two: must check it out again
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

"...Peter Green(baum) was one of the greatest Blues guitarists Britain ever produced. His shape-shifting riffs and long, improvisational excursions made Fleetwood Mac one of the most exciting live bands of the 1960s Blues explosion.

He first picked up a hand-me-down guitar at the age of 10 and, like many of his peers, began to devour the import vinyl that trickled into the UK from the US. He studied the greats - Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy and BB King - combining their tensely coiled playing style with the shimmering vibrato of The Shadows' Hank Marvin.

But he actually started his professional career as a bassist, until an encounter with Eric Clapton persuaded him to ditch the instrument.
"I decided to go back on lead guitar after seeing him with the Bluesbreakers. He had a Les Paul, his fingers were marvellous. The guy knew how to do a bit of evil, I guess."

He later had the seemingly impossible task of taking over from Clapton in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. Fans were unconvinced at first, but after a handful of incendiary performances, he won them over, earning the nickname "The Green God".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53541579
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

As to his legacy, according to Carlos, he is largely responsible for Carlos Santana's sound and Metallica's Kirk Hammett owns and plays the famous Green Gibson.

It was indicative of his personality that he named his biggest band after his bass player and drummer - it was called Fleetwood Mac because Green wasn't intending to stay forever, knew he was the gifted one and wanted to make sure his mates had a recognisable name to use, going forward. Which, of course, they did.

Although his difficulties with drugs and mental health were well-documented, it is important to appreciate that he left Fleetwood Mac because he felt he was becoming too wealthy. He gave all his money to charity and tried to encourage his band-mates to do the same. He had ridiculous musical talents but, like many others, fame didn't sit well with him.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

RIP Bridie McGuire

Post by What'sinaname »

Eddie's mum passed away.

Our condolences
watt price tully

Re: RIP Bridie McGuire

What'sinaname wrote:Eddie's mum passed away.

Our condolences
+1.

Condolences to Ed and family.
Magpie Phil

Post by Magpie Phil »

Deepest condolences to the McGuire family, God bless you all. RIP
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Here here.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
dalyc
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Best wishes to the family
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Sincere condolences to the family. Stay strong Eddie.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 75 times

Post by stui magpie »

Heard Eddie say it on the radio this morning. She was in her 90's, grew up on a farm in Ireland with a well for water, moved to Aus after marrying. Modern generations would have zero ability to relate to the kind of childhood her and my mother had.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
dalyc
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

stui magpie wrote:Heard Eddie say it on the radio this morning. She was in her 90's, grew up on a farm in Ireland with a well for water, moved to Aus after marrying. Modern generations would have zero ability to relate to the kind of childhood her and my mother had.
Thats true. Though it’s not our kids fault that life was easier. After all it’s what my Mum and no doubt yours wanted for them.

My dear old Mum turns 90 this Friday. Born in Perry St, Collingwood, one of 9 kids in a 2 bedroom workers cottage ( knocked down for public housing in the 50’s). Worked as a seamstress from 14 .. starting to seem like Monty Pythons Yorkshire skit.

She’s the reason I’m a Pie. Watching the Pies on black and white TV in Sydney in the 70’s. We went through all those losing GF’s together.

Was hoping for a flag for her this year.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
watt price tully

dalyc wrote:
stui magpie wrote:Heard Eddie say it on the radio this morning. She was in her 90's, grew up on a farm in Ireland with a well for water, moved to Aus after marrying. Modern generations would have zero ability to relate to the kind of childhood her and my mother had.
Thats true. Though it’s not our kids fault that life was easier. After all it’s what my Mum and no doubt yours wanted for them.

My dear old Mum turns 90 this Friday. Born in Perry St, Collingwood, one of 9 kids in a 2 bedroom workers cottage ( knocked down for public housing in the 50’s). Worked as a seamstress from 14 .. starting to seem like Monty Pythons Yorkshire skit.

She’s the reason I’m a Pie. Watching the Pies on black and white TV in Sydney in the 70’s. We went through all those losing GF’s together.

Was hoping for a flag for her this year.