Pre-Match: The Mighty Pies V Dogs - All comments here thanks

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Culprit »

We have not beaten the dogs at the G in the last 4 encounters. They are better than last year. They were $120 to win the wooden spoon last week, this week they are $20.

Pies looked slow, but that happens when you get beaten. I cannot see us winning unless there is a sharp improvement. To many passengers for my liking.

A weeks a long time in football. The only thing that has me slightly positive was when the questioned Eddie on the footy show about the Brisbane game, he said we have to get over this week first. To me that is a club focussed on the task at hand meaning this week.

3 new players to play with Rocca coming in, the girl (Shaw) got the flick and it's about time and I hope players like O'Bree take notice and perform.

I hope we win, but I am in the 2002 frame of mind, not actually excited yet.
Joel

Post by Joel »

Culprit, those stats can be misleading though. When was the last time we played the Dogs at the G? I would think (off the top of my head) that we have probably only played them there once or twice in the last four years, and I'm pretty certain we haven't played them there in the last two years...and we all know how much they have gone down hill in the last couple of years.
Last edited by Joel on Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

Yes they are but it's a stat I don't like knowing about.

Good thing it could mean we are due to win at the G.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Does anyone else think that had Rocca been available last week that Richards would have been an inclusion in the first round. I think MM has got the timing right with this one... Good luck to Bo, Harley and Guy - have a great game boys.
Joel

Post by Joel »

Interesting to hear that Malty expects the debutants to make an immediate impact this week (from press conference this morning).
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

Well we have to improve don't we so yes they will make an impact as I don't feel we can play any worse. We only have 2 players on the injury list so there is no excuses now. :P

Richards will be interesting, but we still lack physicality in that ruck contest.
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

Last time I can remember we played them at the 'G was Round 22 in 2002. We've played them more times at Telstra Dome, then at the 'G in recent times, from the last four years, I think we have only played them once at the 'G. I could be wrong on that one, but most of our wins against them have come at the Telstra Dome.
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

Culprit wrote:Well we have to improve don't we so yes they will make an impact as I don't feel we can play any worse. We only have 2 players on the injury list so there is no excuses now. :P

Richards will be interesting, but we still lack physicality in that ruck contest.
I wonder how much ruck work he will actually do? With Rocca and Fraser, it wouldn't be that much. Maybe they'll throw him into the forward line, and have him work around there in the early parts of the game. Then give Fraser a rest, and put Richards in the ruck. Or something like that, I wouldn't think that Malthouse would throw him in early in the game.
d9 tank

Post by d9 tank »

What Mick should do is chuck Richards into the ruck for the first quarter and a bit to see if he can hold his own. If so for the first time ever we can sustain a forward line that has Fraser, Rocca and Tarrant, something the Dogs will not be able to compete with (add Davidson forward when Fraser or Rocca rotate into the ruck and Guy has a rest).

I'm tipping 2 and a half quarters in the ruck for Guy with maybe another half a quarter playing a kick behind the play.

As far as impact goes for the first match you would have to tip Bo to head the list. It seems to take big fellas a bit longer to adjust to the tempo. All I'm watching for with Nixon is his disposal. Possessions will come but we need a midfielder with good skills. So far I've heard that they're questionable.
Joel

Post by Joel »

Because they have to be played, we don't have a choice. While Davidson may not have got much of the ball last weekend, he still kicked three goals. In regards to Richards, when are we ever going to play him?
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Bartros wrote:I would just to say that I wish Guy,Bo and Tommy all the best for Saturday!!!

Please can we not bag them if they have a bad one first up they will be giving everything they have!!!
Ditto. Did any-one hear what the 3 new boys had to say about their promotion on the Footy Show? Nixon in particular soulded very pumped up - as you should be.
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Match Day News

Magpie future on display at MCG
April 2, 2004 - 7:30PM
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/ ... 90964.html
Malthouse went so far as to predict Davidson would play 150 senior games for Collingwood.
Tall stories but true
April 3, 2004
Lyall Johnson
http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/real ... click=true
Yet today, when two Collingwood youngsters run out on the MCG for their first senior AFL game, even the harshest judge could not underestimate the pair's triumph in just making it to the big league.
No favours for Pies' rookies
03 April 2004 Herald Sun
Katie Peart
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 22,00.html
COLLINGWOOD coach Mick Malthouse warned rookies Guy Richards, Tom Davidson and Bo Nixon they would not be "babied" today on debut against the Western Bulldogs at the MCG.