Vale / in Memorium

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

watt price tully wrote:
dalyc wrote:
stui magpie wrote:Heard Eddie say it on the radio this morning. She was in her 90's, grew up on a farm in Ireland with a well for water, moved to Aus after marrying. Modern generations would have zero ability to relate to the kind of childhood her and my mother had.
Thats true. Though it’s not our kids fault that life was easier. After all it’s what my Mum and no doubt yours wanted for them.

My dear old Mum turns 90 this Friday. Born in Perry St, Collingwood, one of 9 kids in a 2 bedroom workers cottage ( knocked down for public housing in the 50’s). Worked as a seamstress from 14 .. starting to seem like Monty Pythons Yorkshire skit.

She’s the reason I’m a Pie. Watching the Pies on black and white TV in Sydney in the 70’s. We went through all those losing GF’s together.

Was hoping for a flag for her this year.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

stui magpie wrote:Heard Eddie say it on the radio this morning. She was in her 90's, grew up on a farm in Ireland with a well for water, moved to Aus after marrying. Modern generations would have zero ability to relate to the kind of childhood her and my mother had.
What an amazing life journey she must have had. Also, if she was in her nineties and Eddie is only 55, she must've had him in her mid-thirties, which I imagine would be quite unusual for the time. I hope someone has chronicled her life history for her descendants.
Sincere condolences to Eddie and family. :(
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

She can be proud she raised one of the strongest of the Collingwood faithful.
Leggie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Leggie »

Sincerest condolences to Ed and the family.

RIP
Bring Back Tranquilli
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

This is sad news.Condolences to Eddie and the whole McGuire family.It’s always hard when you lose your mum,no matter how old she is.Mum’s are irreplaceable in your life.
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

dalyc wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
dalyc wrote: Thats true. Though it’s not our kids fault that life was easier. After all it’s what my Mum and no doubt yours wanted for them.

My dear old Mum turns 90 this Friday. Born in Perry St, Collingwood, one of 9 kids in a 2 bedroom workers cottage ( knocked down for public housing in the 50’s). Worked as a seamstress from 14 .. starting to seem like Monty Pythons Yorkshire skit.

She’s the reason I’m a Pie. Watching the Pies on black and white TV in Sydney in the 70’s. We went through all those losing GF’s together.

Was hoping for a flag for her this year.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Jezza
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Jezza »

Condolences to Ed and his family.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 98 times

Vale Trini

Post by Pies4shaw »

Plenty of people my age and older sung along with his beautiful voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzElTAOF3gk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2aOjEKPl6c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek2NucwOOvs

And here's a Channel 9 film of him performing at Festival Hall in 1968: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owD1VwQ7oak

You've got to admire the ironic cover (from about 41 minutes and 8 seconds) of Leonard Bernstein's "America" - latinised back into 4/4 - sandwiched between Lemon Tree and If I Had a Hammer, his sing-along cover of Wilson Pickett's "Land of 1,000 Dances" and having a crack at What'd I Say as an encore.
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

Wonderful singer/performer.

R.I.P.
kill for collingwood!
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Loved his music growing up. May he RIP
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Vale indeed. Sad. Part of my childhood memories: his music and As a kid seeing him in “The Dirty Dozen”.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

Actually scratch that it was out of date
Sicks Bux

RIP Dean Jones

Post by Sicks Bux »

I just heard the great Dean Jones has died in India from a heart attack. Loved watching him in full flight back in the day. He was only 59. RIP Deano.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Vale. So sad and only 59.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

What? :shock:

That sux. RIP Deano.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.