Graham Wright - ex-General Manager of Football

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

Wrighty played 201 games at Collingwood
Was a member of the 1990 premiership side
Was runner up in 1990 Brownlow

And has Tracy ,Ethan & James as his kids Now I don’t know their age nor if the are playing Aussie Rules but if so and any good Father and son / daughter
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

Harrysz wrote:Warburton Lad, I hope you are well. Have you been to training?
Hello Mr Harrysz- I have had a setback after my operation to remove the tumour (there is a new tumour growing near the brain). As a consequence, I have not been able to see the Pies strutting their stuff on the track.
If there is a window of (health) opportunity, I will endeavour to journey down from Melbourne's outer-east...
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

MJ23 wrote:
warburton lad wrote:Absolutely thrilled with this- I actually don't care that he played in a flag for us- what is critical is that he is highly respected within the industry for what he does.

I see it as a precursor of landing a new coach at the end of 2021- Clarkson would be great. I hope that Wright at least picks up the phone and has a chat with Dean Solomon for one of the assistant roles.

I am certain that Wright will implement a far more professional approach to salary/contract negotiations. Be ready to lose players who overrate their worth as a consequence, but Wright will be wise enough to make the right calls.

Feeling better about the direction the club is taking by the week...
Ok, funny I thought we got rid of players getting paid more than they rated their worth last trade period and all hell broke lose.
Good evening MJ23

There is a subtle difference in what I am suggesting- at the end of 2020, we moved on players who were already contracted on substantial salaries. Under Graeme Wright, I am rather hoping that the club will take a sterner line around actually negotiating the contracts as they come up.

Prevention is better than cure where $$$ are concerned... Just view of an old man from the hills...
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Presti35 wrote:G.W. replaces G.W.
Good Work
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

People said this wasn't possible.
But it has happened.
A season of intrigue follows, anything could happen... from the flag to the #1 pick in the draft. Get ready for Collingwood in the papers, it has been a bit quiet.
Get back on top.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

MJ23 wrote:
warburton lad wrote:Absolutely thrilled with this- I actually don't care that he played in a flag for us- what is critical is that he is highly respected within the industry for what he does.

I see it as a precursor of landing a new coach at the end of 2021- Clarkson would be great. I hope that Wright at least picks up the phone and has a chat with Dean Solomon for one of the assistant roles.

I am certain that Wright will implement a far more professional approach to salary/contract negotiations. Be ready to lose players who overrate their worth as a consequence, but Wright will be wise enough to make the right calls.

Ok, funny I thought we got rid of players getting paid more than they rated their worth last trade period and all hell broke lose.
Yet Grundy is only just beginning his 7 years of overpaid rubbish...
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

As Director of Football would he be the person to select some one to fill Ant Rocca,s position
If so should it be a ruck coach (a job not really suited to Pebbles)
Would we go a further assistant coach. Maybe Dean Solomon
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

warburton lad wrote:
MJ23 wrote:

Good evening MJ23

There is a subtle difference in what I am suggesting- at the end of 2020, we moved on players who were already contracted on substantial salaries. Under Graeme Wright, I am rather hoping that the club will take a sterner line around actually negotiating the contracts as they come up.

Prevention is better than cure where $$$ are concerned... Just view of an old man from the hills...
Fair enough. Still think it’s a bit forgetful given the challenge to keep 2018 list for a crack at 2019 while big money offers were coming in.

Why I’m excited about Wright coming is that I can’t remember Hawkes ever NOT landing a big name player they went after. Them and the cats are masters of it and hopefully rumours of us chasing a big FA next year are true.

The other think not spoken about is the Hawkes medical teams record. Would love Wright bringing that IP to the pies.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Am wondering how Wright / Buckley working relationship will go and will GW be more success expecting than Eddie / Bucks process
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Cam wrote:People said this wasn't possible.

But it has happened.

A season of intrigue follows, anything could happen... from the flag to the #1 pick in the draft. Get ready for Collingwood in the papers, it has been a bit quiet.
We Might win the Flag and Also have the Number 1 Pick in the Draft :wink:
I am Da Man
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

An interesting notation that GW in 1993 told NB in no uncertain terms a colourful what he thought of him

That hatchet better be well buried
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

BazBoy wrote:^
And Buckley detailed that in his book; I think it was just a psych-out from Wright to put him off his game during that 1993 match. Nothing personal!
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

So the usual footy banter yes
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Finally, he comes home to the nest, finally, great news. Well done Eddie, he deserves kudos for this coup. Up yours Hawks, suffer in ya jocks.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

The move was well over due anyway he did very well at the hawks so they did get better with wright there. Not too sure about suffer in ya jocks he was there a while did good things too.
But i wanted wright at pies for years now he arrives finally.