Random News Stories

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Tannin

Post by Tannin »

Strange universe 5 lives in. It seems that Twitter and Facebook favour the left in 5's imaginary world.

In the real world, as we all know, exactly the opposite is true. Twitter and Facebook both work really, really well to advance right-wing publicity and the research shows that. It was long after the election, only when Trump incited armed rebellion, that they abandoned him to save themselves.

Or are we denying all that and Cambridge Analytica too?
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Phil da greek misses out getting a letter from his wife by dis much.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-09/ ... 99/8496412
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

May he Rest In Peace.

God save the queen, once she’s gone, it’s done.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Yeah, you got to feel for ole Liz, I mean she hasn't just lost a husband but a cousin too.

:wink: :P
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

Hahaha, that's gold, stui.
kill for collingwood!
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Here's some good news:

The number of one-horned rhinos in Nepal's wildlife sanctuaries has increased by more than a hundred, marking a positive milestone in the Himalayan nation's conservation efforts.

According to the results of the latest census, Nepal's rhino population has risen to 752, from 645 in 2015.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-asia-56731079
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Krugman getting out ahead of the inflation fanatics:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/16/opin ... sales.html
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
think positive

Post by think positive »

pietillidie wrote:Here's some good news:

The number of one-horned rhinos in Nepal's wildlife sanctuaries has increased by more than a hundred, marking a positive milestone in the Himalayan nation's conservation efforts.

According to the results of the latest census, Nepal's rhino population has risen to 752, from 645 in 2015.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-asia-56731079
that is good news
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I thought I should revisit this as my earlier post about Phil da Greekbeing brown bread was less respectful than deserved.

I'm not a monarchist and have little time for England in general, but I've done some reading about ole Phil, the Duke of Edinburgh in the past few days and he deserves more than my flippant crack.

He had a fair dinkum go within boundaries set for him. Vale Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh
think positive

Post by think positive »

cheers, good onya, and not for me to say, but thankyou!!!

you can take the girl outta England....
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

It's been interesting to watch the reaction to the Dukes demise, not referring to Stui here, but elsewhere people seem to take pleasure in seeing Royals suffering, I just don't get it. How can people be that triggered by a family on the other side of the world?

I've never been one to react either way to famous people passing, although a certain Victorian politician might be the only person I'd ever have a similar reaction to, but in reality by the time that happens he'll be a very, very long afterthought as he'll be a long time removed from making people's lives a misery.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Honestly, I just don't care enough about him either way to feel either joy or sadness about his passing. I do think the concept of the Royal Family is a joke and that it should be wound up, but I don't think Sir Prince Philip was such an odious person that we need to dance on his grave. I find the performative grief in some quarters way weirder, though.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

I get no pleasure from the Duke's death but also don't feel any sadness. I'm not impacted by them either way, I consider them a curiosity who are largely irrelevant to my life.

Having read more about his background and life though, I just thought he deserved a bit more than just being dismissive.

Probably the only famous death I can recall that had any effect on me was Spud Frawley, and that's purely because of how he died.

I'd had instances in the past while driving where the thought would suddenly pop into my head, all it needs is a flick of the wrist.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

For me the exception was Chantal Akerman, a great Belgian filmmaker who took her own life at the age of 65 back in 2015. I usually don't feel too sad about directors dying because most of them are already pretty old and long since retired, but that was really devastating news.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive

Post by think positive »

my first shattered was John Wayne, then Elvis, Whitney, Princess Di, Prince Philip, Peter Brock, Ayrton Senna, Steve Irwin, Dale Buggins - I met him once, Kenny Rogers, John Denver, I can tell you where I was & how I found out, princess Di was really heart breaking.