George Floyd Police killing and protests

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

isnt it just plain murder? how do you kill someone 3 times?

as the guy in mayans said last night, "he aint getting any deader!!"
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

think positive wrote:isnt it just plain murder? how do you kill someone 3 times?

as the guy in mayans said last night, "he aint getting any deader!!"
Very different laws in the US.

Here we likely wouldn't have changed him with murder as intent is hard to prove but it would be a lay down misere for manslaughter.

Over there they can charge him with different degrees so if they lose the hardest to prove they have others or they can, like in this instance, get a guilty verdict on all of them. I don't like the system personally.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Well, this is fascinating.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... on-houston

Apart from the narcotics officer who entrapped him being presntly on felony murder charges for two unconnected killings, there's this:
As prosecutors delved into the Goines case, a vast number of convictions in which he was involved began unravelling. More than 160 convictions have been dismissed, and more than 10 current and former officers from the city’s narcotics unit, including Goines, have been indicted. More cases are pending.

Mathis goes on to describe the legal trap in which Floyd then found himself, with no chance to press his innocence.

“If Floyd had gone to trial, he would have faced punishment enhancements that would have branded him a habitual offender and could have sent him to prison for a minimum of 25 years.”

And so Floyd pleaded guilty to a crime he almost certainly hadn’t committed, and served 10 months in jail.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

Retrial?

I don't know enough about the law in the USA to comment, but this looks interesting for the defence.

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-ame ... 9d1d023c72
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

I think it'd honestly be impossible to find twelve people who hadn't heard of the incident and already formed a strong opinion of it, so it does seem a bit arbitrary to bar protesters from sitting on the jury. Having said that, if this juror has provided false information then I think it's reasonable to expect a retrial on that basis alone.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
5 from the wing on debut

It's also an insight into how stupid at least one of the jurors was.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Lying on the jury selection questionnaire is pretty stupid but so is expecting to be able to find 12 people who are unbiased in a case like that.

cases like this are the ideal example of being suited to a judge or panel of judges making the decision rather than a jury.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:Lying on the jury selection questionnaire is pretty stupid but so is expecting to be able to find 12 people who are unbiased in a case like that.

cases like this are the ideal example of being suited to a judge or panel of judges making the decision rather than a jury.
is it racist to suggest i cant believe the defence didnt try to block any black jurors? i agree, and im not even sure youd find an honest judge! doesnt really matter, this cop was as guilty as sin!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Everything is racist these days.

I don't think banning black jurors would help unless you imported some KKK members from interstate.

Look, the guy killed Floyd. Zero doubt in that. What's up for grabs under their "interesting" judicial system is what specific charges he's guilty of.

I still think that the first charge is a real stretch, but if going OTT on Chauvin helps heal some wounds it's probably justice.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Given the trial judge's directions to the jury on that charge, there was always going to be a conviction. I assume the directions were legally accurate - but proffer no view about that.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
5 from the wing on debut

It works both ways. When there is a black defendant, the prosecution generally strikes out some black jurors and the defence generally strikes out some white jurors.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... rged-death
The Washington state attorney general’s office has filed felony charges against three police officers in the killing of Manuel Ellis, a 33-year-old Black father of two, who, moments before his death, called out: “I can’t breathe.”

This is the first time the office has filed criminal charges against police officers for unlawful use of deadly force.

Tacoma police officers Christopher Burbank and Matthew Collins were charged with second-degree murder, while Timothy Rankine was charged with first-degree manslaughter. The maximum sentence for both offenses is life in prison. It was unclear whether any of the three officers had retained a lawyer.

The decision came more than a year after the Pierce county medical examiner’s office ruled Ellis’s death a homicide, and followed months of contradicting information from law enforcement officials, who framed Ellis as the aggressor, and eyewitness testimony and video that showed the opposite.