Welcome to Collingwood, Coach Craig McRae

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

BazBoy
Been liked: 31 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
nomadjack

Post by nomadjack »

Really impressive start. Loved the comment about DeGoey at the end He's like everyone else. When he gets back to training we'll see what kind of footballer he wants to be. Just a hint of a challenge for a guy that hasn't always come back in great shape delivered with a hint of steel. Plenty to look forward to I think
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Pies2016 »

He’s been coached by Williams in SA, Robert Walls and Mathews at the Lions and been an assistant under Clarkson and Hardwick.
The wealth of experience and knowledge he would have gathered under these legends is almost inconceivable.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
xenophon

Post by xenophon »

His Contract: How long and how much? Conditions?
Does anyone know?
xenophon
Jezza
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Jezza »

xenophon wrote:His Contract: How long and how much? Conditions?
Does anyone know?
3-year deal.

No idea of what his salary is.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
BazBoy
Been liked: 31 times

Post by BazBoy »

I don’t suggest what NB was getting

I suggest a base salary
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Welcome to Collingwood, Craig McRae!

Gee...Craig is already universally accepted as a great choice by the Collingwood faithful and also has the full blessing of his peers from other clubs.

I agree with all, I'm impressed. I can already see our young brigade thriving under his tutelage, and help from his able assistants who are also of high calibre. I also see our senior players who struggled this year to become reborn stars with renewed motivation and purpose, players such as Grundy, Sidebottom and Thomas.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

What an inspiring day.

Not only have we removed the stale remnants of the decade just passed but we have managed to point the wheel in the right direction with the first of many astute appointments that will see us move towards a premiership quicker than we think.

Good luck to Craig and his soon to be finalised coaching panel.
- Side By Side -
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Is it to early to talk threepeats ?
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
WaggaPie
Been liked: 4 times

Post by WaggaPie »

magpieazza wrote:Very happy with McRae and his personality will be ideal for Collingwood.

Love the way he flat batted some of the questions, especially from Chompers, gave him nothing.!! hahaha

Geez I miss Eddies passion and spark when he was prez though. The two fellas on the right of the screen of the announcement were in one word, bland.
Rip in Fly, this is going to be good.

Yes Korda was embarrassing stumbling his way in an attempt to deliver a cohesive sentence.
Magpies supporters drink at The Riv
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

WaggaPie wrote:
magpieazza wrote:Very happy with McRae and his personality will be ideal for Collingwood.

Love the way he flat batted some of the questions, especially from Chompers, gave him nothing.!! hahaha

Geez I miss Eddies passion and spark when he was prez though. The two fellas on the right of the screen of the announcement were in one word, bland.
Rip in Fly, this is going to be good.

Yes Korda was embarrassing stumbling his way in an attempt to deliver a cohesive sentence.
Couldn't disagree more. Korda made it about McRae and to his credit didn't use it as a platform to campaign. Did very well. Such a nice change..
Buon Giorno
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

Dp
Buon Giorno
Cruisinwithdids

Post by Cruisinwithdids »

Looks to be a thoughtful appointment with the massive ego’s of the last decade gone. Loving the low profile appointment of a man with a coaching record, not an axe to grind. Bring on the future.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Pies2016 wrote: McRae is very big on empowering players. He gets them to set their standards and then he will make them uphold them.
Bucks was more “ this is what I want from you and this is what you need to do to achieve it “
The difference is subtle enough but one style is talking with a player and the other style is talking at the player.
Fantastic summation P2016. As a teacher, I can absolutlely confirm that this subtle difference is actually, when projected across the continuum of a person's development, absolutely massive.
What you have just said in a nutshell is what I have been attempting to articulate in several of my recent comments. He is asking the players to articulatae what their goals are, concretely. Then these goals are theirs, they own them. Therefore, they will be expected to strive for them and achieve them.
This is exactly the approach that a young team requires. Pendles and Sidey will be utterly essential in explaining, clarifying, encouraging, and leading by example.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I didn’t know much about McRae until today so I reached out to a friend who knew him as a player at the lions and has been a close friend since he went into coaching
He spoke very highly of him firstly as a person with strong morals and strong work ethic. He alone said Leigh Matthews loved him as a player because he was no nonsense type player and was a team first at any cost type player
He said since he started his coaching career he has been under many and varied coaches as well as a player (Walls Northey Matthews Voss Malthouse Buckley Hardwick Clarkson) all of whom would have helped shape him in a way
He believes he’s the best of the next generation of young coaches coming through
I’m happy as he seems to be a great teacher of young talent and developing that talent
Good luck fly