Welcome to Collingwood, Coach Craig McRae

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

BazBoy
Been liked: 31 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Pies2016 »

McRaes last two years at two different clubs will prove an enormous benefit to how we take shape next year. He’s effectively spent the last two years under two of the best, dismantling Collingwoods game plan and negating our strengths.
He comes to the club having a great understanding of how to pick us apart and take advantage of our weaknesses. The game changes really quickly and I’m not sure you can be out of it for to long at all if you’re aiming to stay ahead of the curve. I have no doubt we will be more difficult to play against next season and beyond.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Whatever the expectation is of the team next year, I think it will be better than that. We will be pleasantly surprised.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:I am talking about announcing it publicly
My to be wife and I announced our intention to get married before we were even formally engaged
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Pies2016 wrote:McRaes last two years at two different clubs will prove an enormous benefit to how we take shape next year. He’s effectively spent the last two years under two of the best, dismantling Collingwoods game plan and negating our strengths.
He comes to the club having a great understanding of how to pick us apart and take advantage of our weaknesses. The game changes really quickly and I’m not sure you can be out of it for to long at all if you’re aiming to stay ahead of the curve. I have no doubt we will be more difficult to play against next season and beyond.
This is the smartest thing written on here in years
And I also believe he will have very strong views/opinions on certain players or there positions played as well
Clarkson is a master of taking away the opposition strengths and exploiting there weaknesses
Fagan who is out of the Clarkson system showed what a smart plan ca do taking away a opposition strength (lock down on JDG) and exploiting weaknesses (Sidey speed and hands) just weeks ago
If McRae can bring in similar plans it will help us be far more hard to beat or play against
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

So is it confirmed Leppa joining us have a feeling he is thinking another premiership player is joining us too on the coaching panel
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Just watched Whatley interview Craig and that brief was discussed and what part swayed him

Three things

Building Culture
Building relationships
Teaching the way

Craig said “That’s me I can do this”

On his point of assistance

“Saw too many coaches wanting like minded assistant,s. But me I want a diverse group

And while he was coding games for Hawks he was checking us and coding things we dis
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Don’t want to put a damper on what people are saying in this thread, but what McRae said was that we intend to get as good as we can as fast as we can. That doesn’t mean that in the first game of next season when MaCrae, McInnes and Rantall in the middle of the ground go up against the Geelong mids in Dangerfield, Selwood, Guthrie and Duncan, we’re going to beat them with our superior tactics. This is going to be a hard long slog next year to rise even 2-3 places up the ladder until our first and second year players get at least 20-30 games of AFL footy under their belt. All the best tactics in the world doesn’t make up for games of experience. What we’re looking for is measured improvement in all the young players. Do that the wins will follow.
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

I don’t expect a “from 17 to top 4” (would be nice tho) but the man is a realist and would have taken that into account

If he is The Teacher then he has young impressionable kids to teach good habits ( he dislikes bad ones)

We all have to take a deep breath and apply the fullness of time thinking

No guarantees. He knows that. Every one does

Just give him the one thing he deserves. Your support
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Yeah, totally agree. That's means supporting him and the club after we have a bad loss because bad losses are inevitable.
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

Can we draw parallels between the 2010-2011 build to what is in front of us now?
Do we want to move up the ladder - to just middle after 3-5 years?

48 Heath Shaw (Father/Son)
39 Travis Cloke (Father/Son)
2 Dale Thomas (Priority)
5 Scott Pendlebury
8 Ben Reid
10 Nathan Brown
11 Steele Sidebottom
29 Dayne Beams
30 Luke Ball

18 Brodie Grundy
6 Matthew Scharenberg
10 Nathan Freeman

5 Jordan De Goey
9 Darcy Moore (F/S)
30 Brayden Maynard
35 Callum Brown (F/S)
57 Josh Daicos (F/S)
6 Jaidyn Stephenson
39 Nathan Murphy
50 Tyler Brown (F/S)
13 Isaac Quaynor (A)
29 Will Kelly (F/S)
17 Oliver Henry
19 Finlay Macrae
23 Reef McInnes (A)
Last edited by Magpie Russ on Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

And Dane Beams to along with Sidey
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

BazBoy wrote:And Dane Beams to along with Sidey
Updated thanks!
As much as I want to rise up the ladder. as fast as we can.. yeah. Need some luck and/or early draft picks.
robevpau1

Post by robevpau1 »

Former Lions coach Justin Leppitsch is almost certain to join the Magpies. Collingwood is also keen on luring Hawthorn assistant coach Brendon Bolton to the club as part of an elite band of support staff being assembled to work alongside new coach Craig McRae.