Pre-Match: The Mighty Pies V Bluescum - All comments here

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Mick's My Favourite

Post by Mick's My Favourite »

Magnesium

Fraser is out

so is Cammy C, Presti and Mr Burnso
punkologist

Post by punkologist »

MAGNESIUM- PIE wrote:o'bree (omitted to willy)
you have to be kidding!!! you would drop a player that had 38 possesions?
Shades

Post by Shades »

Fraser is out, hamstring. That will hurt. But after last week when Richards played almost the full game, i think he will put up a strong showing. He just has to make it 50/50 and bucks and mcgough can do the rest. Theoretically, we will have a game plan for the first time this year. Mcgough gets the ball out of the pack, to buckley, buckley clears up to the forward 50 to tarrant. tarrant to rocca. BAng!

Presti is out due to injury. Remember, Presti is very succeptible to injuries. He may not be in the top of his form but he's a damn sight better than Walker. I am 100 percent certain that MM didnt fake his injury just to take him off the list.
Joel

Post by Joel »

Yep, Bucks said that Fraser has done a hammy. Last week before the Port game, he felt a slight twinge, so he left training and went home. While he was at home, he got a bad case of gastro. The club did scans during the week and it revealed a slight tear of the hammy. DAMN!
sq3

Post by sq3 »

Presti rolled the ankle in the lasy 10 minutes last week.

The week off is a rest as we will need him against the Saints and withe next 3 at Telstra Dome on the hard surface we need him to be right for those 3.

Tex will get a run this week and I would expect to see him in the ruck against French or even swapping with Pebbles and getting a forward run - to just hit bodies in the forward line.

Don't be surprised to see MM run C1 and Tex through the forward line as the Blues have very small bodies in the backline.

A very interesting matchup will be if Didak gets Harford - if so he go straight through the FF line as we saw a few weeks ago (and Dermie told all the viewers) that DH is very week overhead (nice mate to have).

I would expect MM to run Dutchie with Stevens as he swamped him in the PF, Lica with Campo, MCG with Scoots and that would leave Kouta and Bux.

We will have them stretched down back with their lack of height and small bodies.

I expect a few surprises this week if we play like last weeks 3 quarters - Didak through the center, BJ to play on the ball and Lonie and C1 up to the wing. Not for all the game - just rotations.

MM wants to play Lonie and BJ closer to the center.
droche 2004

Post by droche 2004 »

BRING IT ON.
Nath

Post by Nath »

I think we got this mob beat around the ground. Only worry is if Fevola gets on top early and as long as we shut down the midfield, thats unlikely to happen.

Their best midfielder this year has been Johnson from Hawthorn, i'd give Licruia the role on him, pace not too much of a concern. Holland to Stevens without a doubt. Woewodin has to step into the Burns like role and I think they'd try to run him free most of the day and deliver to the forwards, I'd expect that Scotland and he will play on each other. Camporeale or Hulme will go to Buckley as they'd want to keep him down tou around 20 odd touches. Surprisingly, I think they'll play Kouta off half back for most of the day, he's bound to be a little underdone. I'd run Lonie with him, he's got the leg speed to match him and if we can play through Ryan, make Kouta accountable, we don't want a player dragging him up the ground to the play, so having Lonie at HFF might be an option.

The rucks isn't a key concern as French is a mug and De Luca along with Morrell likely to pinch hit. Give Richo first ruck and have Tex and maybe BK contest the bounce and try to run off and be creative apround the ground. If Stev-O-McKee is a late inclusion, he'll play the hole in front of Fevola all day.

On our end, Tarrant will be picked up by Norman, little doubt there. Rocca likely to get Morrell if they go that way, possibly Fat Farm if he starts up back. Didak and Houlihan is the damaging match up with Dids having to be on his game to stop the run from half back. Teague will drop into the hole, I'd put King on him and tell him to lead up the ground. Lappin may go to Cheesy. That leaves either BK, Tex , possibly Loks with Thornton. Davis can burn Bowyer early.

Down back, Johnno on Lappin, Wakes gets first crack at Fevs, C1 on Fat Farm if he starts forward. I'd give Cole the job on youngster Walker and get him to put him to ground everytime he gets the ball. Clement can be creative down back. We'll miss Presti, he was a good match up for DeLuca, Tex possibly to start with.

I think we've got them beat on every line at the moment, if we make it a tight and scrappy game, Carlton will mathc us, they've got a lot of face to regain. If we can break the lines, carry the ball, kick long and hit targets, I think we'll win this by three quarter time at the latest.

Good luck boys, MM this one could be won and lost in the coaches box, get the match ups right and play on Carltons deficiencies and we'll torch this scum.
themilleys

Post by themilleys »

Tex will definately play down back. He is our best performing big backman for Williamstown and there would be a high probability of Kouta playing down forward in patches as he wouldnt have any match condition. I wouldnt be surprised if they run pebs through the ruck in various stages to give stretch a rest. Also you never know they might have Kinnear in the ruck for a couple of minutes each quarter especially at throw ins. He wouldnt have to win the ball, just turn it into a contested ball situation.
droche 2004

Post by droche 2004 »

pj2000 wrote:Phew!!! once again i'm sorry for mentioning this but i feel so much more confident now that Presti is out of the team. Injury or omitted? somehow i feel the latter. Up the pies this week. 15 goal win or we have under done ourselves. CAn't Wait!!!!
I cant believe what I have just read, Presti is a bit underdone but he is a great player for us, and along with Clement and Johnston in the backline he would be one of the first guys picked every week. We will have to agree to disagree. I personally think he is the person we can throw on the oppositions main forward every week, and generally when fit does a great job, rarely does he get a bag kicked on him. As soon as he got injured against Port, we lost structure down back and the game was over. I will miss him this week, with any luck he will be back for the Saints.
BRING IT ON.
Nath

Post by Nath »

I'm with Droche, are we forgetting that statistically, and that is - in terms of goals scored whilst playing on opponent, Presti was one or two in the league for the past two years.

Some people are kidding themselves if they think he isn't integral to that backline. Takes the best forward, rarely beaten and when he is, its generally the responsibility of the midifeld who aren't preventing awesome delivery. The guy is a no frills player who makes few mistakes, just cos he doesn't have the flair of Leppitsch, Scarlett or Fletcher, doesn't make him an ordinary defender.
MardyP

Post by MardyP »

Just read on Foxsports (http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,86 ... 10,00.html) that Taz left training track early today.

Anyone have any more up to date info?
Shakin77

Post by Shakin77 »

Was going to ask do Bux and Taz face fitness tests?

Also heard that Taz left training early!
Last edited by Shakin77 on Fri May 07, 2004 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
punkologist

Post by punkologist »

maybe he left for further tests inside (i hope)
Nath

Post by Nath »

Don't think there'd be anything sinister about Taz leaving the track earlier. Its cold, wet and miserable in Collinwood a the moment and no point putting a guy through his paces if he's done a hammy in the cold.

I heard he had a fitness test on Wednesday night and passed, so the smoke screen may already be up and firing.
Shades

Post by Shades »

Yes interesting him leaving early. Most likely its the tailored training programs the players go on. Forwards like Tarrant tend to take it easier nearer to the game, and use the game as their major work out. I remember seeing Tarrant running full pelt late last week and wednesday this week. Remember there was talk he might play against Port?

They would've just wanted him to not go too hard before tomorrow's game.

The real pain is Burnsy being injured. I reckon he's irreplaceable. We need a player like him against the Blues. He can rough em up a bit. Play hard and make it physical.