Post Match. Pies down to Tigers. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

It's up to Cox to put in a body of work in the VFL that puts him right in the frame to replace Cameron or Begg. He needs to be ready and banging on the door.

My view is Cameron is more vulnerable than Begg. Begg will keep going until his young body needs a rest, if Cameron doesn't deliver he could find himself in the VFL and Cox first ruck.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Lazza wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:My last comment on this unfortunate loss comes from two one eyed Tiger fans, mates of mine., whom both told me they were relieved we did not play Mason Cox, and were very surprised we did not. I will just leave that there.
FWIW piesnchess, I think the club made a selection error in not picking Cox against the tigers. His height in the forward line was sorely missed by the crumbers. I don’t think we will see him in the seniors again unless he kicks 6 or more in the seconds. He is on his very last chance in my book.

True mate, tho i think he did boot six goals in the VFL two wks ago, when we won by one hundred points, pretty sure he did. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ No, that was Henry - he actually kicked 7.3 from 15 kicks, 2 handballs and 10 marks - and was given a spot in the seniors immediately. Cox kicked 3 goals and had 21 disposals and 25 hitouts. Cox's stats look quite impressive - until you watch the game and see how hopeless the opposition was.

Replays of all the VFL matches are available to watch for free - that one is here: https://www.afl.com.au/video/751580/vfl ... 1287600001

The AFL also sets out the stats for all of the VFL games on dedicated match pages, in similar form to that used for the AFL. The stats for that game are here: https://www.afl.com.au/vfl/matches/4207#player-stats

It's also important to appreciate that there are now 21 teams in the VFL competition, so there are plenty of poor ones. Coburg are 20th, having won just won game. Bianco kicked 5 goals against Essendon, who are 21st - and we know how that turned out when he was given a senior game against Richmond.
Last edited by Pies4shaw on Tue May 10, 2022 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^ ^ ^
Yes, there are two types of B O G in the V F L these days.
Those against the top V F L teams and those against the cellar dwellers.
Having said that, you can’t do much more than be close to the best player on the ground in any game you play. It’s just that the gulf between the bottom end of the VFL and AFL has never been greater.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

How fantastic to see Noble recognized as Player of the Week.
Another 'different" type of footy journey (like Checkers), but has certainly had his share of challenges, supporter criticism and doubters. His skills have improved so much since the early days.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 59 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

I've been trying to work out whether it means anything to be "player of the week" - he didn't get a coach's vote (Crisp and Lipinski were the two who did), so it doesn't reflect a view that he was our "best". So, what is it for?
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^ ^ ^’
Participation award ??
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
E

Post by E »

stui magpie wrote:It's up to Cox to put in a body of work in the VFL that puts him right in the frame to replace Cameron or Begg. He needs to be ready and banging on the door.

My view is Cameron is more vulnerable than Begg. Begg will keep going until his young body needs a rest, if Cameron doesn't deliver he could find himself in the VFL and Cox first ruck.
its funny the latitude given to young guys ecause our expectations are so low. I think he was able to get his hands on two of the 30 odd ruck contests he visited. and the tigers were something like 10-0 in clearances in the first half.
That is as close to not being there as you can get.

And before you say, he is handy around the grounds, so would an extra midfielder. But we'd lose our second ruck you say. we refer to prior paragraph. I'd back Tyler Brown to win two of 30 ruck contests against the hacks that the Tigers have for rucks.

God we miss Grundy. its so palpable. A durable ruckman (something Grundy has been for most of his career) who can ruck 90 per cent of the game and who breaks at least even every week and is the better ruckman most weeks really is valuable. I might pay $900k per year to such a player..... wait? what?
E

Post by E »

PyreneesPie wrote:How fantastic to see Noble recognized as Player of the Week.
Another 'different" type of footy journey (like Checkers), but has certainly had his share of challenges, supporter criticism and doubters. His skills have improved so much since the early days.
i think it goes to the player who is mentioned on Nicks the most in a given week.....
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

E wrote:
stui magpie wrote:It's up to Cox to put in a body of work in the VFL that puts him right in the frame to replace Cameron or Begg. He needs to be ready and banging on the door.

its funny the latitude given to young guys ecause our expectations are so low. I think he was able to get his hands on two of the 30 odd ruck contests he visited. and the tigers were something like 10-0 in clearances in the first half.

And before you say, he is handy around the grounds, so would an extra midfielder. But we'd lose our second ruck you say. we refer to prior paragraph. I'd back Tyler Brown to win two of 30 ruck contests against the hacks that the Tigers have for rucks.

God we miss Grundy. its so palpable. A durable ruckman (something Grundy has been for most of his career) who can ruck 90 per cent of the game and who breaks at least even every week and is the better ruckman most weeks really is valuable. I might pay $900k per year to such a player..... wait? what?
Oh I don’t know really
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
E

Post by E »

Lazza wrote:
E wrote:

Oh I don’t know really