Post Match. Pies thump Dockers. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

the fuzz

Post by the fuzz »

John Noble should be given a lifetime Collingwood membership and immediately inducted to the hall of fame for his efforts last night.
Repeated tackling and smothers were goal saving and team lifting.
I’ve said it before, but he really is becoming one of our best players.
When we tackle luke we did, and bring that much pressure and effort we usually win.
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

Rick wrote:6 goals for the game (4 from free kicks) so to hold them to 2 goals for the game in general play is a bloody good effort.
And who would have thought that all the "Experts" on this forum were sayinying Freo would OBVIOUSLY kick a bag against us. I haven't heard a peep from any of them.
the fuzz

Post by the fuzz »

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:04 pm

I love Henry and I’d love him playing this week. He is going to be a gun.
Have a think though. If a Brown, Madgen, Sidey or any other whipping boy made the same mistakes he did last week, half of the people here would be asking for a public tar and feathering.
The Ins this week are great.
Henry will be back in the team very soon I’m sure.
Next time he may we’ll kick 4 and let’s hope he does, and he’s a lock going forward.

Just saying
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

The Black and White Lion wrote:Thought Josh Caicos’ kicking into the forwards was great in that third quarter. It looked a few times like Freo would escape and claw back ground but those l passes to dangerous positions out in front with space to run and jump at the ball we’re beautiful and helped us keep the edge til 3/4 time.

Great all round effort from the team. Howe’s screamer! Noble’s repeat defensive efforts. Forwards locking the ball in. Fly’s tactic to have a winger drop back to free up Howe. Well done pies!
As highlighted by the commentary, J Daicos and Sideys positioning off the stoppage was perfect. You don’t come into the game as a 19 year old playing under anti density rules and understand this stuff from day one. It’s one of the main reasons why Poulter, McInnes, MacRae etc are all learning their craft in the VFL. Everyone talks about stats and touches but until the day someone can develop a metric for smarts, game awareness and experience, we will never fully appreciate what some players bring to the table. Flys strategy was basic stuff but what Longmuir didn’t do in response was where we capitalised.
daics aka the ruckman
Been liked: 3 times

Post by daics aka the ruckman »

Just watched the highlights and last quarter again. What a wonderful effort.
Special mention to Tyler Brown who seemed to really enjoy the freedom of following the ball as a ruckman.
Josh Daicos did some lovely inside 50 kicks. Darcy Cameron reminded me of Ben Mcevoy - good tall man game.
Each week is enjoyable seeing something new with the pies.
go pies
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 153 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Pies2016 wrote:
The Black and White Lion wrote:Thought Josh Caicos’ kicking into the forwards was great in that third quarter. It looked a few times like Freo would escape and claw back ground but those l passes to dangerous positions out in front with space to run and jump at the ball we’re beautiful and helped us keep the edge til 3/4 time.

Great all round effort from the team. Howe’s screamer! Noble’s repeat defensive efforts. Forwards locking the ball in. Fly’s tactic to have a winger drop back to free up Howe. Well done pies!
As highlighted by the commentary, J Daicos and Sideys positioning off the stoppage was perfect. You don’t come into the game as a 19 year old playing under anti density rules and understand this stuff from day one. It’s one of the main reasons why Poulter, McInnes, MacRae etc are all learning their craft in the VFL. Everyone talks about stats and touches but until the day someone can develop a metric for smarts, game awareness and experience, we will never fully appreciate what some players bring to the table. Flys strategy was basic stuff but what Longmuir didn’t do in response was where we capitalised.
There were several instances I observed where at critical times, while not in possession, Sidey directed traffic. One in particular with IQ.
It's the transfer of experience on ground, and ability to run hard defensively that I felt was missing from his game this season, that made me question if he still has the fire in the belly.
Conditions no doubt suited him and he played his best game for the season to date, much of it not relating to possessions.
Fly and the coaching group must be wrapped with him, hopefully he received plaudits he deserves.

It'll be a quick recovery from a grinding match for our ageing players ~ Pendles, Howe and Sidey. Hopefully the coaching staff give them a light week on the track, in time to recover for one of the most important matches of the year. The leadership and experience of our senior players will once again be as critical as getting contested ball.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Sidey’s definitely sacrificed some of his own possession game to direct traffic and lead. Our experienced leaders don’t have to be Eddie Everywhere, which is a great sign for our future. Big effort considering how crook he was. Every Nickster with a toddler knows what it’s like to have flu in the house!

Nine day break after a gruelling few weeks is making me quietly confident against Carlton.
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

At many stages through out the match some of the reasonable experienced (like IQ) and young,uns would dish off to Sidey as they transitioned forward’
And he never let them down to pick the best option for a score

Meanwhile Josh Dacios was doing simalar and also long & rapid penetrating kicks into our forward line

That went a long way to our accurate and consistent scoring

Planned I imagine but the Fly brains trust
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

Remember when Jack Crisp came with the unfair moniker of Steak Knives

Well a not so 7 million intense competitor who shall NOT be called small change just received Player of the Week on Collingwood website

Darcy Cameron was like two or three players. Intercept marking in defence
Forward marks for scoring

And his ruck work where not satisfied with tap work he tackled opposing ruck which results in Josh Daicos play on and kick to Henry

And on a day that Crisp put in a blinder

The ship is well supplied with a great crew and on its way to success down the track
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
orie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by orie »

masoncox wrote:Tom Harfy would be proud .....just move the ball forward.
Not sideways backwards ping pong footy.
My brother always said bring back Tom.
I thought Tyler Brown is worth keeping.
The guy could be anything.,.but we have been waiting long enough.
Ollie Henry reminds of Peter MacKenna
Just the way he looks and moves.
Loved Noble today

Thats a good pick up..
Yes does move a lot like Peter McKenna. Gosh if he could kick like him all the time it would be fantastic.
'MADE IT LEGENDARY'
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Can some kind soul please put the highlights of the match here, i dont have Kayo yet, and did not see any of the game, thanks it anticipation.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

LaurieHolden wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

There were several instances I observed where at critical times, while not in possession, Sidey directed traffic. One in particular with IQ.
It's the transfer of experience on ground, and ability to run hard defensively that I felt was missing from his game this season, that made me question if he still has the fire in the belly.
Conditions no doubt suited him and he played his best game for the season to date, much of it not relating to possessions.
Fly and the coaching group must be wrapped with him, hopefully he received plaudits he deserves. .
There’s another player playing his part and doing the team thing most weeks. I get the angst aimed at Hoskin - Elliot but he’s pretty much playing high half forward and leaving a lot of space behind him for the forwards and then moving up onto the wing proper. He’s got good hands and a straight kick and is a senior player in this team, so I’m not convinced the coach thinks as badly of him as some do on here.
blybo

Post by blybo »

Pies2016 wrote:
slangman wrote:
Jezza wrote: Tyler Brown may have found his role as a ruckman
I mentioned using Tyler Brown as a 2nd ruck option similar to Silvagni a few weeks back and most dismissed the idea for his lack of size.

At least Fly agreed with my idea
blybo

Post by blybo »

CaptainSnooze wrote:PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:28 pm

After three 6 day breaks in a row, the boys have a 9 day gap leading into Sundays game.
Huh? 9 days in a week now? Sunday to Sunday is 7 days by my calendar.
derkd
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

Well I had better sit down to dinner of my hat.

I thought, we would not get within 10 goals of them...even with the weather.

Best team effort game in ages. We had stars...but the game wasn't dominated by one player.

Special mention to Henry, T.Brown. really showing that they belong at the level.

N.Murphy too, I actually was surprised he was recalled off the back of only 1 VFL game after such a long lay-off. But did some really composed things in the wet.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.