Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

This would've been an ideal game for Grundy, where we needed more physicality and forward momentum at stoppages. You can see how the options in hand now mean that McRae will be able to work the angles as needed.

I have no doubt Mason turned that game purely through presence at the clearances. It was too congested for Cameron to impact as usual, and Coxy could use his height and new-found bulk (which I reckon has gone unnoticed; it doesn't take much bulk at that height to make a difference). He didn't even need any stats to go along with that effort, which was crucial to breaking their run of easy clearances.

As commented elsewhere, I noticed several times in the first half that he could hardly jog and was hobbling, so he really lifted for the team (and perhaps with the help of an injection or such?).

I also think people have forgotten how new to the caper he is generally, despite his age. The extra bulk he has now, and no doubt experience, means his body work can really impact.

But if we had Grundy in this game, we would've been better off from the start as he could've done the in-close bullocking work as that extra mid, which is exactly where we were getting done. Don't forget the goals his ruck work forward opens up, too.

The timing with Grundy's return nearing and Cameron having really come on and Coxy having recovered from the eye injury couldn't be better in terms of giving us more in the middle and forward, where we are at least two gun players short.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Skids »

Hiss wrote:We should never have signed a contract like this! Disgraceful money for kicking leather around a paddock! Our Society has completely lost it ! Let’s hope we can trade him asap . We don’t build great Teams by paying individuals this sickening amount of money. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a capitalist pig!
Would be an apt post... in 1925 :)
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Duff Soviet Union
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Duff Soviet Union »

pietillidie wrote:This would've been an ideal game for Grundy, where we needed more physicality and forward momentum at stoppages. You can see how the options in hand now mean that McRae will be able to work the angles as needed.

I have no doubt Mason turned that game purely through presence at the clearances. It was too congested for Cameron to impact as usual, and Coxy could use his height and new-found bulk (which I reckon has gone unnoticed; it doesn't take much bulk at that height to make a difference). He didn't even need any stats to go along with that effort, which was crucial to breaking their run of easy clearances.

As commented elsewhere, I noticed several times in the first half that he could hardly jog and was hobbling, so he really lifted for the team (and perhaps with the help of an injection or such?).

I also think people have forgotten how new to the caper he is generally, despite his age. The extra bulk he has now, and no doubt experience, means his body work can really impact.

But if we had Grundy in this game, we would've been better off from the start as he could've done the in-close bullocking work as that extra mid, which is exactly where we were getting done. Don't forget the goals his ruck work forward opens up, too.

The timing with Grundy's return nearing and Cameron having really come on and Coxy having recovered from the eye injury couldn't be better in terms of giving us more in the middle and forward, where we are at least two gun players short.
Yeah, he was curical in the last. I don't really get the idea that we don't miss Grundy, when we've been getting killed out of the centre for weeks now. I think Cameron can be the best second ruck / resting forward type in the comp, but we're starting to see his liabilities as a full time ruck the last few weeks. It'll be tough on Coxy, but I don't think the three of them can play together.
"We ain't gotta dream no more"
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Because we always dominated the centre clearances when Grundy was winning 50 hitouts a game?
Duff Soviet Union
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Duff Soviet Union »

We at least broke even
"We ain't gotta dream no more"
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

In. Fly. We. Trust. I reckon we will start winning centre clearances again when Grundy returns and our whole team will go to a new level.
Get back on top.
woodys_world69
Been liked: 20 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

we saw roughhead play fullback for us..wasnt he a ruck/forward at the dogs?

absolutely no reason why grundy cant play CHF and chip in the ruck.

Imagine checkers on the 3rd key defender? he will go ballistic!

grundy/cameron are 28/27 and Cox is 31. we can play all 3 until cox retirement

Grundy is a decent set shot for goal.
Grundy isnt going anywhere.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

We need Grundy
He is our best ruckman, best tap ruck to advantage and best clearance ruckman. He is better around the ground especially and ground level and can run to receive like an extra mid.
Rendell literally said he should go to the Dees so they would have Gawn and Grundy.......But we couldn't fit Cameron and Grundy in ?
Ifs a friggen joke the crap we put up with.

Why do you give that up for a perceived $100-$200k a year too much. Thats a first year player salary.

Degoey Ironically could very well have done us a favour salary wise and if he wants to stay where he feels most comfortable then a reduced or heavily incentivised contract would work.

McStay then a free agent - not that Im sold on him but he can play forward and back which could open other opportunity's for us.

Taranto we get trading our late first round pick which is what he is worth. His skill level and age profile fits us perfectly.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
Wonka

Re: Trading Grundy

Post by Wonka »

Presti35 wrote: 5 years to run on his contract. Adelaide is the team he is being linked to.

What are we thinking about this news?
Yesterday, Sam McClure, who is reliable on matters like this, confirmed that Collingwood is open to trade offers for Brodie Grundy from any other club, as part of a push to position us best for a flag tilt in the next few years, and Grundy's management is aware of this. McClure did not say that there has been confirmed interest from another club so far, and he also reiterated that, regardless of any interest, Grundy could try to dig his heels in if he wanted to stay.
i hate carlton
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by i hate carlton »

It would be a mistake to trade grundy. The combo of Cox/Grundy/Cameron rotating as ruck and dropping in to the team *when* injuries strike can carry us to a GF.

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

I saw a quote from Macrae today,where he said that from rounds one to five,we were in the top four for centre clearances,when Grundy was playing.And yet we’re currently 18th for centre clearances without him.He’s obviously more important to the team than many people think and should not be traded,especially if DeGoey is going as well.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Wonka wrote:
Presti35 wrote: ... Sam McClure, who is reliable on matters like this....
:lol: :oops: :shock:
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Pies4shaw wrote:
Wonka wrote:... Sam McClure, who is reliable on matters like this....
:lol: :oops: :shock:
Indeed.

I’m a Grundy critic in case you didn’t know but he does need to get some more to his game. I’m for retention (or kneecapping)
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
stui magpie
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 83 times

Post by stui magpie »

pietillidie wrote:This would've been an ideal game for Grundy, where we needed more physicality and forward momentum at stoppages. You can see how the options in hand now mean that McRae will be able to work the angles as needed.

My observation was that Cox used his brain more than any bulk. With a seriously congested pack around the ball up he used his height advantage to whack the ball forward out of the congestion.

Yes, it's risky as reality is it could go anywhere, but it's inline with the current team ethos of taking risks and it got the ball away from the roaming maul. Smart play.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Wonka

Post by Wonka »

Multiple football journalists, including Jake Niall and Peter Ryan, have reported that Jason McCartney, who is the list manager of Greater Western Sydney, met with Brodie Grundy's manager yesterday.