Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Piesnchess wrote:
Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Genius, i meant our eddie here, McGurie wants Grundy to stay, actually. :o
Cantankerous old geezer, I was making a tongue in cheek joke ;-)

Old Geezer eh, well at least i have made it to this age, you have to get there yet. :o
Lol Piesnchess
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mattdally »

Mark Anderson on the radio didn't really confirm or deny our options of keeping or trading Grundy.
I get the sense that if there was an opportunity for him to be traded, the club would look at it.
He doesn't want to lose Jordy.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Prexm68 wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Presti35 wrote:eddiesmith, why the massive dislike for Grundy tho?
He’s incredibly overrated, is paid way too much for a position that doesn’t win you premierships. He demanded the ridiculous salary and therefore must cop some of the heat for failing to play a decent game in 3 years since he signed it.

But his contract has stopped us being able to recruit a key forward that we actually need or get in a quality bull in the midfield. Areas that would actually win us premierships.

Fact we’ve been winning without him just proves my point, he is overrated and we don’t need him.

Plus his comments about not caring about winning premierships really put me off him.
I hope our next loss is not Grundys first game back. You will go to a new level of hatred towards him.
Well it’s likely to be Sydney in Sydney so 100% chance we will lose and yes it will be Grundys fault
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

After watching the replay of Grundy's comeback match with the VFL over the weekend, I'm firming of the opinion that Grundy will not play against Melbourne this coming Friday night. He didn't look to be as agile and wasn't covering the ground as much as we would usually expect him to do. Hence I think Grundy should have another week in the VFL to improve his match hardness / fitness as well as get some form back. Cox and Cameron have been providing sufficient ruck coverage without being outstanding and so we can't really drop Cox based on form given the results we are seeing over the past couple of months.
With all the scuttlebutt about Tim Taranto coming to Collingwood, I'm starting to smell a trade that would see Grundy move to GWS in exchange for Taranto. Initially I thought that Taranto would only be at Collingwood if Degoey left but now I'm hopeful that Collingwood could hold DeGoey.
Worst case is that Collingwood loose both DeGoey and Grundy which would reduce the amount of A-Graders on our list by two since I don't rate Taranto as an AFL A-Grader yet. However, maybe Collingwood has realised that ruckmen don't justify $1M contracts and to enable recruitment of gun midfielders to be the eventual replacements for the likes of Pendlebury and Sidebottom we need to broker a deal with GWS.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
simon tonna

Post by simon tonna »

Agree boot. My issue with him and it never changed from day dot is that he done things he’s own way, unorthodox and unpredictable. He will need to prove himself to the coaches I reckon and that is play the way designated by them. 10 weeks is a shit load of game time to miss out on and the dynamic duo is looking like a real big man 1/2 punch.
I really don’t rate what he is as a player plainly, this has nothing to do with his contract with us merely what we could do with the cap spending instead. I hope he goes because he’s worth is debilitating on and off the field.
no second chances
Prexm68

Post by Prexm68 »

Still can’t see a team with salary cap problems bringing in a guy on nearly a million a year.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

We don't have salary cap problems. We just needed to lose Treloar. How simple are you folk?
RudeBoy
Been liked: 76 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I hope you're right, but I was under the impression our salary cap was still rather tight. Remember, players like the Daicos boys will be in line for significant salary increases. Same goes for Cameron. I think the club wants to retain JDG, but not at his manager's asking price.

Grundy's massive contract is obviously constraining our squad development, but given that we can't change that now, perhaps the club could look to extend Grundy's contract for a couple of years on very low dosh, which would have the effect of lowering his 'average' annual salary.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ We've re-signed everybody we wanted to re-sign. Grundy's contract isn't "constraining" anything. He gets a bit more than Gawn (which is unsurprising, since Gawn can't get a kick against Collingwood) - and yet Melbourne has been able to re-sign Petracca, Oliver and Brayshaw, all on 6 year deals. It was overpaying a few spuds that needed sorting at Collingwood.

Also, from Grundy's point of view, why would he agree to extend his contract "on very low dosh"? Even Treloar didn't have to do that - and he was spudding it up so badlv that he was actually sprouting.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 79 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Pies4shaw wrote:We don't have salary cap problems. We just needed to lose Treloar. How simple are you folk?
Geez your memory is slipping ole mate
Even the club came out and said losing Treloar and Phillips was all salary cap related
Not rating Treloar is one thing (even though he’s a way better player than you give him credit for now he’s playing in his correct position)
But to reinvent history to suit your own narrative just looks dumb mate
Simple fact is whether you like it or not Wright firmly believes the Grundy deal is bad long term for the club
1 he isn’t a million dollar player that is reserved for MATCH WINNERS he isn’t that by a long long way
2 long term deals for rucks or any tall is a massive gamble history is littered with these gambles not paying off
Remember hawks happily letting Franklin go because he wanted a long deal. How many games has he missed for Sydney ?
Whether Grundy stays or goes I really don’t care Wright will make the best decision for the club
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ It is exceptionally naive to think that what the Club said about the salary cap was actually true. It was plainly cover for some necessary defenestration.

As for Treloar, specifically, it was very widely reported that Collingwood tried to ship him out after the 2019 PF but couldn't do a deal. Suddenly, a year later, a crisis was manufactured. The Club didn't do a fire-sale of players. It just lost some it didn't want. One of them it didn't want so badly that it pays another club to play him. You'll notice that Collingwood hasn't lost a player it wanted to re-sign since then. Funny that.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^ ^’
I’m only guessing but I imagine trading out Stephenson, Treloar and Phillips was ripping off the band aid, so as to include freeing up some cap room. They would have the supporters believe it was the cleansing we needed to have but it didn’t stop us bringing in Krueger and Lipinski 12 months later ( and the Dogs wanted to keep Lipinski )
The point to also remember, is that’s it’s not good business to go telling everyone the club has oodles of cash to spend for obvious reasons anyway. Better they just allow us and players managers to think they’re up to Pussys bow and then surprise us with a trade or two.
I’m not fussed whether DeGoey stays or go but I’d suggest him going is the only way Taranto makes his way here. One out for one in and Taranto won’t come cheap.
One other thing to remember, even if Grundy was traded out, we would need to find a replacement at $250,000 plus that nobody wanted anyway. So by the time we have supposedly paid $250,000 of Grundys salary for the privilege of watching him play elsewhere, what’s the point of moving him on. I would rather pay a little overs now for a ruckman who I at least know is capable of A A standard.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Big T »

We won't win the flag this year... need to see Grundy in the ones and see how he fits.
Buon Giorno
Wonka

Post by Wonka »

bally12 wrote:I saw a bit of Grundy in the reserves on Saturday. He was horrid. I really hope that was his idea of blowing out the cobwebs by just lumbering around and not coming close to resembling a footballer. Particularly concerning was his lack of positioning in attacking the high ball in marking attempts. Absolutely no idea. If anyone thinks he can become a forward, I got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
Grundy had only 11 disposals against Southport, which confirmed that the selectors were right not to put him straight back into the seniors, and they should also think twice about selecting him this week against Melbourne, although the much bigger problem is what to do with him in the long term.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

In the longer term, he will remain the best ruckman in the game, whether Collingwood keeps him or trades him.

Grundy dominated Southport physically at the weekend. He didn't do anything very exciting in a highlights sense (apart from setting up Henry for a few shots on goal) - but he ground the opposition down and stopped them in their tracks. Anyone who was watching the game with their eyes open would have appreciated that he was the thing that disrupted Southport's game. For those who don't have the attention span for the full game, here's a little video:

https://www.afl.com.au/video/809516/vfl ... MATCH:4315