Post Match. Swans end Pies' run. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

The first week is the top 4 versus the top 4 & the bottom 4 likewise only two go on

Beating Scum could possibly let Doggies in

Hold 5th spot and a chance we play Doggies
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

^ There's no way we can play the Bulldogs (at least, not until a semi-final). If we lose, they can't make it; if we win, we finish top four.
Last edited by David on Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

BazBoy wrote:The first week is the top 4 versus the top 4 & the bottom 4 likewise only two go on

Beating Scum could possibly let Doggies in

Hold 5th spot and a chance we play Doggies
can't happen. If we win, we're top 4. If we lose, we are 6th and Dogs can't get in.
David

Post by David »

Great minds think alike, What'sinaname. :lol:
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Pies2016 wrote:^^ ^

There’s some fair points, Boot. We generally focus on our own players failings in a loss but the reality is every win or loss is as much about the opposition as it is Collingwood. The Swans are a very good side with an average winning margin of 40 + points up there. You don’t return those numbers without applying relentless pressure on the opposition for extended periods. The first indication of any team not handling the pressure, is not handling the ball well.
It’s also a competition that doesn’t lend its self to extended winning streaks and at some point, there will always come a day when a playing collective subconsciously gets a little comfortable and the foot comes off the accelerator ( notice our poorest “ effort “ came immediately after knowing we’re going to play finals )
The players don’t mean to relax but it just happens in most elite environments. If it didn’t, then we’d never have upsets. I’m not saying thats why we lost but I am saying we are certainly capable of being much better than what we saw against the Swans, particularly elsewhere.
I think we will continue to be competitive against the best anytime we play on the G and why wouldn’t we because our game style revolves around that grounds dimensions.
We are going to learn a lot more about this group on the rebound and that’s something we haven’t seen for nearly three months now.
Bring it on.
That is a great analysis P2016. I think the points you make about unconscious relaxation are very valid. And also that our game style is based on the shape and dimensions of the MCG, while the Swans have perfected the SCG.
Agree, the response to this defeat is going to be very informative. Our team has not experienced defeat for a long time. How will they respond? It is a challenge that we need to face.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

^ You learn more from you defeats, than your victories, this applies to nearly all sports, games etc. And i have NO doubt, our players, and Fly, learnt a heck of a lot from that loss, undoubtedly.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Marvelos

Post by Marvelos »

Why don’t we just load up with VFL players and go the knuckle?
simon tonna

Post by simon tonna »

I like it
no second chances
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Skids »

Magpietothemax wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:^^ ^

There’s some fair points, Boot. We generally focus on our own players failings in a loss but the reality is every win or loss is as much about the opposition as it is Collingwood. The Swans are a very good side with an average winning margin of 40 + points up there. You don’t return those numbers without applying relentless pressure on the opposition for extended periods. The first indication of any team not handling the pressure, is not handling the ball well.
It’s also a competition that doesn’t lend its self to extended winning streaks and at some point, there will always come a day when a playing collective subconsciously gets a little comfortable and the foot comes off the accelerator ( notice our poorest “ effort “ came immediately after knowing we’re going to play finals )
The players don’t mean to relax but it just happens in most elite environments. If it didn’t, then we’d never have upsets. I’m not saying thats why we lost but I am saying we are certainly capable of being much better than what we saw against the Swans, particularly elsewhere.
I think we will continue to be competitive against the best anytime we play on the G and why wouldn’t we because our game style revolves around that grounds dimensions.
We are going to learn a lot more about this group on the rebound and that’s something we haven’t seen for nearly three months now.
Bring it on.
That is a great analysis P2016. I think the points you make about unconscious relaxation are very valid. And also that our game style is based on the shape and dimensions of the MCG, while the Swans have perfected the SCG.
Agree, the response to this defeat is going to be very informative. Our team has not experienced defeat for a long time. How will they respond? It is a challenge that we need to face.
Yes indeed, the additional 3,700m2 is much more up our alley.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
David

Post by David »

Marvelos wrote:Why don’t we just load up with VFL players and go the knuckle?
Even if this were in any way a good idea, most of our listed players in the VFL are, like, 19 years old and would be snapped in half. It's not like we have a dozen Stan Magros running around in there. :lol:
Marvelos

Post by Marvelos »

I haven’t read a specific rule stating you can’t take weapons onto the field :)
David

Post by David »

lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Huge rumour that the entire legal team are all in Washington being paid mega millions to get Donald Trump’s charges dropped. Trump has also received AFL support for getting away with anything naughty, along with Rudi Giuliani. They will ensure that there won’t be an appeal. Apparently the catch phrase is “nothing to see here, move along”
Last edited by lazzadesilva on Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.