Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

My only summation of Collingwood being willing to trade Grundy is Wright and Fly's recent experiences. Both come from clubs who've won multiple premierships minus a dominant ruckman. That's all I've got.
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by neil »

If all these clubs want him then maybe he is worth keeping
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

piffdog wrote: The discussion can be crass or unbecoming or rude or ungrateful, but the bottom line is if Brody wants to be at Collingwood, all he has to say is "I'm not going anywhere”.
“And happy to shave off $300 K off my new contract for the good of the club and their supporters I love. After all it’s not like I’m a poor person and my future prospects for being involved with footy in a paid position are high.”

It’s easy to do Brodie. Just try saying it and stay with the strength
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Why would he do that? I bet you wouldn't. "Here, I'll just give you a third of my salary back because you don't want to honour the contract you signed?" How does that work?
duke750

Post by duke750 »

I will be really disappointed if Brody is not playing for us next year. I think Fly would be too.
Magpies forever.
First Colligwood game: Western Oval 1960
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:My only summation of Collingwood being willing to trade Grundy is Wright and Fly's recent experiences. Both come from clubs who've won multiple premierships minus a dominant ruckman. That's all I've got.
Which is what his supporters fail to accept, a dominant ruckman is not a key to winning a premiership so wasting so much money on one is not going to help this club win a premiership.

In his chance to lead the club to a premiership against a side missing it's highly paid ruckman he failed. No it's not his fault, they had strong key forwards and defenders. Yet we can't recruit those positions because Ned Guy is a moron that $@&^# us over for 7 years.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Grundy!
Last edited by Ronnie McKeowns boots on Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Pies4shaw wrote:^ Why would he do that? I bet you wouldn't. "Here, I'll just give you a third of my salary back because you don't want to honour the contract you signed?" How does that work?
I like to think some of us would not of held the Club to ransom for an outrageous contract and then back it up with a most unsatisfactory work performance, but that's exactly what Mr 'Premierships aren't important to me' has served up.

Renegotiate the contract or be hounded out of the Club; those are clearly the options the hardheaded GW is offering; and I for one support him in his endeavor; its either Back Wrighty, or Wack Bighty!
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

All his supporters can point to is Grundy was a 2 time All Australian, you can't get rid of them.

At the same they constantly rubbish soon to be 6 time All Australian Max Gawn as being a lesser ruckman. Obviously the AA selectors disagree.
stui magpie
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by stui magpie »

We signed the contract, outrageous or not and we should honour it. No one held a gun to our head.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 76 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Of course, we not only morally, but legally, have to honour the contract, unless Grundy decides he has a better future elsewhere. I have no inside knowledge at all, but perhaps Grundy is not happy at Collingwood, or the team/coaches are not enthused about Grundy. Either way, it seems almost inevitable that he will be elsewhere next season. Footy is a ruthless business, but let's not forget that he refused to sign anything less than a 7 yr contract at a reputed $1 Million per year. Any player who is so ruthless in his contract negotiations, determined to squeeze every last cent he can from the club, cannot be surprised down the track, if the club loses its enthusiasm and decides to cut its losses, to enable it to recruit players more needed.

I've always liked Brody and admired him as a player, but I began to lose a little faith in him when I heard his comments a year or so ago about not being fully focused on football. FFS, when you're on a 7 million dollar contract, I reckon you need to be fully focused on what you can do for your team. But maybe that's just me. Either way, it's pretty clear that our club wants him off its books.
Born to Pie
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Born to Pie »

RudeBoy wrote:Of course, we not only morally, but legally, have to honour the contract, unless Grundy decides he has a better future elsewhere. I have no inside knowledge at all, but perhaps Grundy is not happy at Collingwood, or the team/coaches are not enthused about Grundy. Either way, it seems almost inevitable that he will be elsewhere next season. Footy is a ruthless business, but let's not forget that he refused to sign anything less than a 7 yr contract at a reputed $1 Million per year. Any player who is so ruthless in his contract negotiations, determined to squeeze every last cent he can from the club, cannot be surprised down the track, if the club loses its enthusiasm and decides to cut its losses, to enable it to recruit players more needed.

I've always liked Brody and admired him as a player, but I began to lose a little faith in him when I heard his comments a year or so ago about not being fully focused on football. FFS, when you're on a 7 million dollar contract, I reckon you need to be fully focused on what you can do for your team. But maybe that's just me. Either way, it's pretty clear that our club wants him off its books.
Totally agree Rudie, great comments, he lost me when he said "It's not all about winning premierships".
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away
Presti35
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by Presti35 »

We have finals to win. This is a bloody distraction.

BG of course will have to agree to the trade. So it's not like we can trade him to a team that is desperate for a star player and willing to take on his whole contract.

This could be a complete balls up. Let's not dick ourselves here. Is there anyway this situation can be turned into a win for the club?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 76 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Presti35 wrote:We have finals to win. This is a bloody distraction.

BG of course will have to agree to the trade. So it's not like we can trade him to a team that is desperate for a star player and willing to take on his whole contract.

This could be a complete balls up. Let's not dick ourselves here. Is there anyway this situation can be turned into a win for the club?
Grundy to the Tigers, Dusty to Collingwood. :lol:
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

stui magpie wrote:We signed the contract, outrageous or not and we should honour it. No one held a gun to our head.
All good in theory. Perfect logic. However for me, it’s a case of Grundy not keeping to his side of the contract, namely his lack of performances worth his salary. I doubt that any employer would retain an employee who is paid a million bucks but fails in providing value for money. Similar to discussions about JDG’s contract after his misbehaviour in Bali.
Anyway my last words on this issue are that we retain him if he renegotiates his contract or release him to a club willing to pay 80% of his salary. I hate the fact that we have to pay a part of a player’s salary who doesn’t play for us but we file it as a mistake never to be repeated.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️