Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 76 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Thanks QM67. You're always on the mail, and it all makes a lot of sense now. It's a shame, but he had the potential to be one of the greatest ruckmen of all time, but for the last 3 yrs he hasn't shown the fierceness required. I know nothing about Brodie, but he has always struck me as being a rather introspective and fragile type. I bear him no ill will at all and wish him well wherever he goes.
Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

not fait accompli but doesn't look very promising. Is what it is, surely we won't bend ourselves over again as in the Treloar debacle
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 79 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

RudeBoy wrote:Thanks QM67. You're always on the mail, and it all makes a lot of sense now. It's a shame, but he had the potential to be one of the greatest ruckmen of all time, but for the last 3 yrs he hasn't shown the fierceness required. I know nothing about Brodie, but he has always struck me as being a rather introspective and fragile type. I bear him no ill will at all and wish him well wherever he goes.
100% mate
He always been a different cat and that’s not a bad thing
I get coaches challenging players especially when it’s a completely new coaching staff implementing a new style and philosophy
But I wonder did they pick the wrong target ?
I’m not saying they singled him out and I’m sure they’ve challenged other players but Grundy has always seemed (from the outside looking inwards) a overly sensitive type
I don’t see how he stays but while he hasn’t signed elsewhere there is a chance and hopefully the club can sit down with him and see if there is a way forward
I’m not anti trading any player (ok yes I am no trading N.Daicos or pendles) but there needs to be value in it for the club and it needs to make the team better
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Well the results since vindicate the approach I'd say, I for one have no issues with some tough love in front of the playing group, and if he wants to have a tanty and piss off, well dont let the door hit you on the way out Brodie.

I hope he goes to the Dees; he would fit right into their current approach to moving the ball
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

^ If he was challenged after round 5, he DID respond in Round 6 and won us the game against Essendon while injured with a PCL.

Not sure how much more of a response you can get. He was the highest rated Collingwood player in the last quarter.
Last edited by What'sinaname on Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I think he has burned his bridges too much to remain at Collingwood. Unsure if his love of money more than the club, coaches and teammates led to
his decision to depart, as the obvious reason of homesickness doesn’t seem to be the case. I hope we have as close to a win - win situation as possible.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
think positive
Has liked: 230 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

qldmagpie67 wrote:Get used to the fact Grundy is gone

I can confirm it was Grundy and his management who approached the club about the possibility of being traded
This came after Grundy was called out after the round 5 loss to the Lions when the coaches questioned his commitment to be a AFL player in front the group
The following week he was injured the rest is history

His management has been shopping him around and feeding the media whatever it takes to twist the narrative towards their client and force the clubs hands to trade him to suit him

They have recently presented the club a offer (club unknown) of 1 x 1st round pick and a future 2nd round pick but the caveat was they wanted the club to tip in $400k salary for Grundy at his new club
Wright immediately said no way and has told them we will not tip in more than $100k and the 1st round pick must be a top 10 pick plus later picks

Whilst no deal is done it’s more than likely the club will find a deal to trade Grundy but it will be on our terms more than his if he really wants out
He can also remain and play and show the commitment the coaches expect if he wants too but that appears unlikely currently
If that’s true, and the club get their demands Id take it. I really like Grundy, but just as I did with DeGoey, I’ll back the club. The club is bigger than any player. As an aside before I cop it, DeGoey has really seemed to get up for the challenge. If it’s to attract other clubs, as long as gets us a premiership, good luck to him. You’d be a fool to leave at this point, being a one team superstar means so much after footy.

I wonder too how much of a calling out it was, I can’t imagine fly saying Jason cloke played better in the grand final he was suspended for! Grundy does seem to have more life balance, and good luck to him. However, if you want to get paid a million dollars then you damn well should earn it. I can’t believe the contracts the old guard dished out. Beans, Grundy, Treloar, ugh. Crazy
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

I can confirm it was Grundy and his management who approached the club about the possibility of being traded
This came after Grundy was called out after the round 5 loss to the Lions when the coaches questioned his commitment to be a AFL player in front the group

His management has been shopping him around and feeding the media whatever it takes to twist the narrative towards their client and force the clubs hands to trade him to suit him

They have recently presented the club a offer (club unknown) of 1 x 1st round pick and a future 2nd round pick but the caveat was they wanted the club to tip in $400k salary for Grundy at his new club
Wright immediately said no way and has told them we will not tip in more than $100k and the 1st round pick must be a top 10 pick plus later picks

Whilst no deal is done it’s more than likely the club will find a deal to trade Grundy but it will be on our terms more than his if he really wants out
He can also remain and play and show the commitment the coaches expect if he wants too but that appears unlikely currently
It strikes me as inconsistent with the way the coaching has been at least in the public eye that the coaches would single Grundy out in front of others. McCrae et al have been using positive reinforcement as their MO. It just doesn’t pass my boutique pub test. But then again who really knows.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I also don’t believe Fly would single Grundy out in front the playing group like that. But I believe the rest. However, remember his comments singling Grundy and De Goey out last year when he first came to the club? Who knows, we’re not there and don’t have a cluey on context.
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

I think it might come down to the finals performances of Cameron and Cox. I still believe and am supported by the stats, that we are a better team with Grundy than without. It's not his fault he was paid the then going rate for superstars. He didn't hold the club to ransom, he was like buying a house 2 years ago, the value of the whole category of things has been diminished by a one in 100 years pandemic. Some people here would trade their own grandmothers for one of the golden girls.
Get back on top.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 79 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

watt price tully wrote:

It strikes me as inconsistent with the way the coaching has been at least in the public eye that the coaches would single Grundy out in front of others. McCrae et al have been using positive reinforcement as their MO. It just doesn’t pass my boutique pub test. But then again who really knows.
I never said it was fly there are other coaches at the club and all have differing personalities
Criticism in front of the playing group behind closed doors isnt an unique thing at all
A lot of clubs use terms like honesty sessions or peer appraisals
I also don’t know how fierce or benign the call out was but it’s reported it hit a nerve with Grundy
Fly has been publicly supporting JDG but do you think behind closed doors he didn’t lay down the law and rules to him ?
The old saying some times thr truth hurts might be close to home
No matter how it’s reported or how it happened the facts remain the same Grundy isn’t a happy camper over
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

End of the day, an opposition club asking us to pay $400k each year of Grundy’s salary is a f****** insult to Collingwood.
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

Mr Miyagi wrote:End of the day, an opposition club asking us to pay $400k each year of Grundy’s salary is a f****** insult to Collingwood.
Just as it is an insult to another club to pay only $100k a year, and want top ten draft pick as well. His best year was 4 years ago, he has been injured all tear, and he is in late twenties. There will not be multiple takers fighting over Grundy. We made our bed, and we’ll have to lie in it.