Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

I'm flip flopping on the whole Grundy situation if I'm honest and right now my bum is sore due to the fence post.

On the one hand he still remains our best ruck option and I hold out hope he's capable of recapturing his AA form or at least improves his forward craft to make him more valuable to the team.

On the other hand I have come to question whether the fire still burns brightly within him.

To be perfectly frank, Grundy has carried his nice guy persona out on to the field these past couple of seasons IMO and it took until that final quarter against Essendon to remind everyone of the fierce competitor he once was.

I'd argue Grundy actually played with more swagger as a rookie in his first couple of seasons than he did these last couple of years as an established player.

Where once he was a young footballer who wanted to dominate his opponent and prove himself on the AFL stage he slipped in to the comfort zone of a well paid professional athlete who ticked all the boxes asked of him but along the way he lost the essence of what made him so great.

Basically the Grundy we once had became just a bland and sterile version of himself.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

$7 million bucks will do that to ya
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

gurugeoff wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:End of the day, an opposition club asking us to pay $400k each year of Grundy’s salary is a f****** insult to Collingwood.
Just as it is an insult to another club to pay only $100k a year, and want top ten draft pick as well. His best year was 4 years ago, he has been injured all tear, and he is in late twenties. There will not be multiple takers fighting over Grundy. We made our bed, and we’ll have to lie in it.
Yes, lets clarify this; is it 400k job lot, or 400k a year?

400k job lot and I say we jump that deal like a fat kid on a muffin!
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
MAY-Z

Post by MAY-Z »

swoop42 wrote:I'm flip flopping on the whole Grundy situation if I'm honest and right now my bum is sore due to the fence post.

On the one hand he still remains our best ruck option and I hold out hope he's capable of recapturing his AA form or at least improves his forward craft to make him more valuable to the team.

On the other hand I have come to question whether the fire still burns brightly within him.

To be perfectly frank, Grundy has carried his nice guy persona out on to the field these past couple of seasons IMO and it took until that final quarter against Essendon to remind everyone of the fierce competitor he once was.

I'd argue Grundy actually played with more swagger as a rookie in his first couple of seasons than he did these last couple of years as an established player.

Where once he was a young footballer who wanted to dominate his opponent and prove himself on the AFL stage he slipped in to the comfort zone of a well paid professional athlete who ticked all the boxes asked of him but along the way he lost the essence of what made him so great.

Basically the Grundy we once had became just a bland and sterile version of himself.
I am 100% with you on this re the flip flopping

If we could move him and his full salary on I think I would do it, but that seems impossible, and it also probably tells you how much we overpaid for him, and it probably genuinely costs us another player on our list

As a genuine ruck he is better than Cameron but Cameron around the ground marking is far better

And as you his best quarter for so long was his last
Wonka

Post by Wonka »

Cam wrote:I think it might come down to the finals performances of Cameron and Cox. I still believe and am supported by the stats, that we are a better team with Grundy than without.
Cox had a good game tonight, and Cameron a respectable one too, but I am truly astonished by your claim that the stats support your belief that we are a better team with Grundy than without (even if you are ignoring what the without case entails in terms of redirection of his salary and list spot elsewhere), because no one has ever shown such stats here, and I assume that Grundy's supporters would if they could (instead of merely repeating how many worthless hit outs he has amassed in his career).
Last edited by Wonka on Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

I would trade Grundy for a KP forward in a heartbeat
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Wonka

Post by Wonka »

What'sinaname wrote:I would trade Grundy for a KP forward in a heartbeat
Just imagine what would have happened tonight if we had Jeremy Cameron and Geelong had Grundy.
Wonka

Post by Wonka »

What'sinaname wrote:^ If he was challenged after round 5, he DID respond in Round 6 and won us the game against Essendon while injured with a PCL.

Not sure how much more of a response you can get. He was the highest rated Collingwood player in the last quarter.
People keep repeating this claim, but they all need to re-watch the game on Anzac Day, because in the first three quarters Grundy's performance was diabolical, against an opponent who is still just a child in ruckman terms.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

^ when the game was on the line, who stood up to win the game?

Sidebottom? Pendles? Checkers? Elliot? Howe?

No, it was Grundy who did so with a PCL injury. He could have easily put up the white flag, but he gutted it out.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Grundy fit and healthy, at his peak form, we would have beaten the ol Cats today, just saying.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Wonka

Post by Wonka »

What'sinaname wrote:^ when the game was on the line, who stood up to win the game?

Sidebottom? Pendles? Checkers? Elliot? Howe?

No, it was Grundy who did so with a PCL injury. He could have easily put up the white flag, but he gutted it out.
Grundy deserves some credit for lifting his game in the final quarter, but he really needed to, and one can easily make the case that if he'd just put in an average performance in the first three quarters, instead of a diabolical one, then we would have been far in front at three-quarter time and there would have been no game on the line.

Of the list of teammates you've mentioned, Jamie Elliott was not even playing that day, perhaps Sidebottom, Pendlebury and Howe (who are all battling the ageing process) were playing on opponents who have qualified for their driving licences, and, as we all know, Mihocek was a VFL defender who has heroically played as a key forward for Collingwood, during most of which time he has literally been paid the minimum possible salary (the rookie salary in his first year being around $60,000 or $70,000 a year).
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

We won the ruck contests today. Adams going down hurt us. We need contested ball winners in the mid, the ruckman ain’t the problem
Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Still trolling, Wonka. Why don’t you just **** off?
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

DP
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Piesnchess wrote:Grundy fit and healthy, at his peak form, we would have beaten the ol Cats today, just saying.
A fit and healthy Travis Cloke at his peak would have won the game today, just as relevant…