Post Match. Pies pipped in thriller. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

I’ve slept on it now and am pretty happy with the game despite the outcome. Umpiring didn’t cost us the game. Even the Ginni push is on him.
Geelong finished games clear on top for a reason. We’re not far away!
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
the fuzz

Post by the fuzz »

Having just recently played the Swans at the SCG will serve us well.
We will know how to play it better this time - IF we can make it of course.
Collingwouldn't
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Collingwouldn't »

mgh3536 wrote:Farkin arrogant Geelong fans

I would love for us to have second crack at them
You shoulda punched on with them in the stands, when you had the chance.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Haff wrote: Even the Ginni push is on him.
Lol it is not!
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

What has been lost among many “ interesting “ comments in this thread, was the great game by Moore on Hawkins. That’s as quiet as it gets from Hawkins and the lessons learnt from the first time he got us, we’re really well executed in the final. DeGoey and Moore were exceptional with a special mention to the unfairly maligned Johnny Noble. While Jaicos and Pendles class under that pressure was a standout
Re Lipinski, I hope he is given more responsibility around the ball this week as a partial replacement for Adams. He makes good decisions and uses the ball so well, I feel like he’s been a bit wasted over the last month or two when he plays as a high half forward.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
daics aka the ruckman
Been liked: 3 times

Post by daics aka the ruckman »

I think the team did really well. Matched the clear ladder leader all game.
Other finals margins were 22, 13, and 2. We were level in the last couple of minutes. Well done pies.
Some more composure and better goal kicking obviously needed.
Every game we learn some more and the coaches can work on it.

Having watched every finals game I can say that umpiring interpretations are different every game. Good on Mcrae for bringing that up in the press conference.
go pies
Collingwouldn't

Post by Collingwouldn't »

90 nice wrote:AFL and cats can **** themselves both are criminal organisations
You're right. It's all about flogging beer and Pies.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Pies2016 wrote:What has been lost among many “ interesting “ comments in this thread, was the great game by Moore on Hawkins. That’s as quiet as it gets from Hawkins and the lessons learnt from the first time he got us, we’re really well executed in the final. DeGoey and Moore were exceptional with a special mention to the unfairly maligned Johnny Noble. While Jaicos and Pendles class under that pressure was a standout
Re Lipinski, I hope he is given more responsibility around the ball this week as a partial replacement for Adams. He makes good decisions and uses the ball so well, I feel like he’s been a bit wasted over the last month or two when he plays as a high half forward.
Lots of fours in the voting thread behind de Goey, which I reckon is spot on.

You're right, he is among our best players who get the least recognition on Nick's. There's a tendency to want a monster-type back instead, which is a bit old hat.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Both Jamie and Checkers looked uncharacteristically lacking in confidence on the set shots, and as a team we looked to pass off a few times when the player with the ball should have taken responsibility for taking the shot.

Otherwise a very good effort, just needed to take our chances. Cats had a bit more poise in the major moments, and Cameron, as always, ripped us a new one. I heard him getting heckled as a former pies supporter, didn't help
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^Yeah, the situation even got to Jamie, who had become the king of clutch goals. He even tried to pass off the big set shot he kicked.

There was a lack of leadership I thought today, probably because everyone had to fuss too much with their own games. E.g., I rarely saw senior players go up to Ash Johnson to get around him or steady him before a kick, which really bothered me. Ditto in many other situations, even though the nerves were obvious. I was waiting for an impromptu forward huddle to be called to gain composure even, but not to be. This stuff was poor today all the way through to the coaches I thought.

Again, that's likely due to being short-handed and young, so someone like Pendles has to focus so hard on getting the stoppage right and minimising the influence of big mids, he can't get around everyone.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
1eyedpie
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 1eyedpie »

I think we lost last night because some of our players didn’t take their chance when their moment came!
Finals like these are won when players make the moment theirs but some just fumbled uncharacteristically and made wrong decisions at crucial moments in the game.
Hope the nerves of first final is out of the way and we can get a comfortable win next week no more heart stoppers please as my dogs can’t handle the tension in the house soon as they hear the siren they leave the room and sit nervously in my daughters room :lol:
Never disperse your focus unless absolutely necessary. Face one adversary at a time!

BARRACK HARD!
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

^ Pretty good summary. These were too very evenly matched teams across the entire game.
I think we might forget the number of players in our team for whom this was their first final.
Nerves would have been palpitating the entire game.
But one of the standout attributes of this team is how quickly it learns from past experience.
Our team will not be so nervous next week. This was the baptism of fire, and we move on strengthened by experience.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

Cats fumbled way more than us. Shat themselves in marking contests too, Add Cameron's eliteness and Rohan's desire, take away some of our goalkicking decisions and they got across the line, just.
Get back on top.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 153 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

What'sinaname wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:And normal programming resumes with the Pies returning to finals laughing stock again.

We win pretty much every close H&A game and then lose the close final.

Only a total moron would make such a $$%^%%$ ludicrous pathetic comment like that, no way are we a laughing stock, we just ran best team in the comp to one bloody kick, no thanks to shitty umps. Even my bro in law, one eyed Tiger, said we did real well, real good, and should be proud of our boys. Wake up to yourself, that was way below the belt. :o :?
You know how we laughed at Richmond for losing by a goal on Thursday. That's happening to us right now.

He's a post from BF

"Life is beautiful,Suck s**t collingwood!"
What are you 12? You must have had a rough childhood if you let a BF comment rile you.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

Pies2016 wrote:What has been lost among many “ interesting “ comments in this thread, was the great game by Moore on Hawkins. That’s as quiet as it gets from Hawkins and the lessons learnt from the first time he got us, we’re really well executed in the final. DeGoey and Moore were exceptional with a special mention to the unfairly maligned Johnny Noble. While Jaicos and Pendles class under that pressure was a standout
Yeah Jordy and Moore stood up so well and are our guns.