point post cameras???

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Clemo

point post cameras???

Post by Clemo »

post title says it all

so the goal cameras have x-ray vision?

not for the first time there’s controversy over a player marking or not over the line between goal and point posts

case in point Johnson not long after the Pendels high free kick advantage cancellation
Go Pies !!!!
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Surely it couldn’t be too hard to install an overhead camera directly above each set of goal posts (say, sticking out of the stadium roof). Perhaps the expense wouldn’t be warranted due to the rarity of these close calls, but it’s not like a solution is impossible here.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Seriously, footy is a game. I'd rather we got rid of the technology altogether and let the umpires make the call. Sure they'll get a few wrong. So what? It's part of the drama of the game.

Technology, robotics and AI should be used for medical surgeries, space flights, manufacturing and engineering, but not for sport. The human element, including human frailties, errors and mistakes, are essential for the emotional content of all sport, especially footy.
Uncle Jack

Post by Uncle Jack »

If a laser shot straight up from the top centre of each post it should be fairly clear whether a ball has passed in front of or behind the beam or broken it.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
aus50ford
Been liked: 2 times

Post by aus50ford »

Bit like the push in the back Grundy copped in the 2018 GF
that action resulted in a goal, why wasn't that reviewed
I don't have a snappy catch phrase
David
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

RudeBoy wrote:Seriously, footy is a game. I'd rather we got rid of the technology altogether and let the umpires make the call. Sure they'll get a few wrong. So what? It's part of the drama of the game.

Technology, robotics and AI should be used for medical surgeries, space flights, manufacturing and engineering, but not for sport. The human element, including human frailties, errors and mistakes, are essential for the emotional content of all sport, especially footy.
Good point. It is interesting too that we get so fixated on "controversial" score review decisions with sometimes no more than millimetres of difference when umpires make much more costly mistakes that result in goals multiple times a game.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

While we are on it, was anyone else concerned about the use of the goals review system for a touched off the boot call, I think in the 2nd quarter?

There is absolutely no call for it to be used in that context, and where does it end?
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
glasseyevfx

Post by glasseyevfx »

I work with cameras - I'm surprised they do the whole stepping through the footage - its probably expedient. The cameras they have should be calculated in 3d space and triangulated to enable the ball to be tracked - would give a better result. I also know there are magnetic systems that will register the proximity of the ball to a faster and greater degree than gps (although that may have changed).
If I were in collingwood right now I'd be doing an umpire review of all the dodgy calls we have been getting. I'm sure we aren't the only ones that are raising eyebrows at whats been happening - the richmond game in the first half was pretty 'how do you do'. These calls are changing winning results across the afl.
We shall set our course by the stars and not ships that pass in the night