Vale / in Memorium

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

FWIW I'm not a royalist, I don't like hereditary monarchies, but I reckon Liz was one out of the box. Swoop echoed a lot of my thoughts in his earlier post.

Rather than a live of privilege, she considered it one of duty and service and behaved accordingly with a punishing schedule to the end under constant scrutiny.

Onya Liz, well played, RIP.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Jezza
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Jezza »

eddiesmith wrote:
Jezza wrote:A good summary of what happens now in Australia.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... es-is-king
Will we get a public holiday for the National Day of Mourning?
From what I've read, it's likely we will.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Jezza wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Jezza wrote:A good summary of what happens now in Australia.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... es-is-king
Will we get a public holiday for the National Day of Mourning?
From what I've read, it's likely we will.
Thank you, then Thursday 22nd would be perfect
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

That works.

Looking forward to the first issue of the New coins with the head of King Charles the tird on them.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

I'd never known anyone with a corgi before living here, but a couple walks a ripping brindle and white Cardigan Welsh Corgi past our place, so I got my first good scratch. Extremely affectionate little things.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... -loyalties
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Depends what side of the border they’re on, right? Anything to the south and I expect you’ll probably need to have some good jokes at the ready!
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Abbie Chatfield, you low life.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

David wrote:I think that's a fair analysis, Swoop. Personally, I hold no antipathy towards her or her family members; I understand her presence brought comfort and meaning to some people's lives and that's all to the good, but I also find attempts today to put her on a pedestal as some great person a bit overwrought and insincere. Her main achievement in life really was just simply existing. That's not a high bar to meet, and when I think of all the people in the world who toil away quietly helping others without receiving a fraction of the plaudits, it does all seem a bit offensive. I also, for what it's worth, find the intrusive way that she and her family members have been treated by the tabloids and the gossip magazines to be abominable and dehumanising, and find some of the dancing on her grave today by her more humourless critics to be tacky and opportunistic.

The bottom line for me is that who is in the monarchy is a far less important consideration than the fact that the monarchy itself is a terribly outdated institution and I'm not sure I can agree that the industry surrounding it really justifies the public expense of maintaining it. But that really should be a matter for the British people to decide for themselves; there can be no doubt that we here in Australia should have long since cut ties, and really none of this should be any of our business.

So I do hope that this post-Elizabeth push for a republic that we've been promised does come to pass. It's time.
Show some farking respect.

Like Abbie Chatfield who decides now is time to comment about Charles???

This is NOT the time to discuss you thoughts on a republic.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Bravo What’sinaname xxxxx
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

What'sinaname wrote:
David wrote:I think that's a fair analysis, Swoop. Personally, I hold no antipathy towards her or her family members; I understand her presence brought comfort and meaning to some people's lives and that's all to the good, but I also find attempts today to put her on a pedestal as some great person a bit overwrought and insincere. Her main achievement in life really was just simply existing. That's not a high bar to meet, and when I think of all the people in the world who toil away quietly helping others without receiving a fraction of the plaudits, it does all seem a bit offensive. I also, for what it's worth, find the intrusive way that she and her family members have been treated by the tabloids and the gossip magazines to be abominable and dehumanising, and find some of the dancing on her grave today by her more humourless critics to be tacky and opportunistic.

The bottom line for me is that who is in the monarchy is a far less important consideration than the fact that the monarchy itself is a terribly outdated institution and I'm not sure I can agree that the industry surrounding it really justifies the public expense of maintaining it. But that really should be a matter for the British people to decide for themselves; there can be no doubt that we here in Australia should have long since cut ties, and really none of this should be any of our business.

So I do hope that this post-Elizabeth push for a republic that we've been promised does come to pass. It's time.
Show some farking respect.

Like Abbie Chatfield who decides now is time to comment about Charles???

This is NOT the time to discuss you thoughts on a republic.
You're not seriously policing people on behalf of another sovereign nation that itself isn't policing its own citizens?
think positive

Post by think positive »

What'sinaname wrote:Abbie Chatfield, you low life.
That’s what happens when low life reality publicity whores believe their own publicity
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

pietillidie wrote: You're not seriously policing people on behalf of another sovereign nation that itself isn't policing its own citizens?
Don't be another Chatfield / Brandt dickhead.

Act like a grown up.
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

What'sinaname wrote:
pietillidie wrote: You're not seriously policing people on behalf of another sovereign nation that itself isn't policing its own citizens?
Don't be another Chatfield / Brandt dickhead.

Act like a grown up.
Man who effetely appropriates another country's events as his own tells others to grow up without the slightest hint of self-awareness.

As an actual Brit, let me break to you: locals love Australia but are nauseated by clingy Australians.