Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

Pies4shaw wrote:
slangman wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:Oh, slangman, I forgot - football isn’t a multi-billion dollars business and the players should be grateful to be paid. Time for you to live in the universe we inhabit, I reckon.
The fact that it’s a multi million dollar business is why the discussion will be had. Players get traded and/or delisted whilst still under contract and they also regularly seek to break their contract for a better offer at another club.
I live in the universe where Treloar got traded against his will and have no doubt that the club will do the same with Grundy if they thought that it was in the best interest of the club.
That’s not remotely an answer to the point I made - and unless you’re actually simple, you must know that. You were proposing that he should just agree to take a pay cut and I said in substance that that was a stupid piece of nonsense. If you think there’s some reason why a fellow who has a contract that entitles him to be paid $4.5 million, say, would agree to accept $3.5 million - when you know no one else in their right mind would do that, perhaps you might explain what it is. It strikes me that such a proposal would be just disingenuously jerking around an employee who’d accepted a deal in good faith. Grundy may well leave - all the other indications are that he probably will - but he’s simply not going to take a pay cut to do so - whatever his new club agrees to pay, Collingwood will be forking out the difference.
Easy on the personal attack buddy. You are not the Messiah on here and comments like yours are why many older posters have left Nicks as per another thread. We can have different views and opinions but comments like that diminish peoples desire to bother contributing which was discussed in the thread about older posters and where had they gone.

I have not said that he “should” take a pay cut and if you read my original post correctly, I did state that he had every right to refuse a pay cut if asked.
The jungle drums are beating regarding his contract and performances. The million dollar business you mentioned is becoming more and more ruthless and if you can’t see that Grundy staying at Collingwood is a 50/50 proposition at this moment then you must have some inside info that nobody else is aware of. The only reason there is even a discussion is because of the value for money aspect.
I would like nothing more than he stays and gets back to his AA form for the remainder of his contract. But his age and last 3 years are not exactly on his best arguments.
Collingwood will no doubt have to pay some of his wage but that’s is a value for money decision that the club will have to make.

Either way, it will be an interesting trade period for Collingwood.
- Side By Side -
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

You said that if he's "after the money", then he's "out the door". As I said, he isn't "after the money" - he's entitled to hold Collingwood to its bargain and he will. It may be that he gets the salary partly from us and partly from a new team but there is no way he will take a pay cut. Why should he? You wouldn't. I wouldn't. No person with proper mental functioning would. It isn't like Sidebottom, eg, stretching out his contract to ease the Club's salary cap problems - that resulted in a longer contract for him when he did it, so he finished up with more guaranteed money, just at a lower rate but for more years. No-one is suggesting that Grundy might play for, say 8 years, rather than 5 and spread the load that way. It wouldn't be feasible, so it boils down to asking a stupid question - "Hey mate, we made a mistake. We'd like to reduce your salary by 25%. You OK with that?" In what universe does a sensible person even ask that question of an AFL player and expect an agreeable answer?
RudeBoy
Been liked: 76 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Clearly the club phucked up when it contracted Grundy on a $1 million x 7 yr contract. Now, with Wright in charge, it seems we are trying to correct that mistake, and the only way to do that is to encourage Grundy to pursue a trade elsewhere. So let's not blame Grundy for this mess. And let's not blame Wright either. The fault lies with the previous football administration who got us in to this mess.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

So we don’t blame Grundy for demanding a ridiculous contract? Or for failing to perform in the 3 years since signing it?
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

What'sinaname wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Yes indeed. Nice change of tack and straw man by whatsinaname.
If this is what you have to tell yourself to sleep at night, then good for you. You've fooled nobody.
Oh dear. They have got their knickers in a knot. Now back on topic…..
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

RudeBoy wrote:Clearly the club phucked up when it contracted Grundy on a $1 million x 7 yr contract. Now, with Wright in charge, it seems we are trying to correct that mistake, and the only way to do that is to encourage Grundy to pursue a trade elsewhere. So let's not blame Grundy for this mess. And let's not blame Wright either. The fault lies with the previous football administration who got us in to this mess.
Correct weight. Grundy has not been the same as we all witnessed. He was mighty in the Anzac Day game.

What are the chances he won’t be going anywhere?
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Grundy was mighty in the ANZAC day game AFTER he hurt his knee. Prior to that he was poor.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/brodie-g ... -c-8286690

This article covers off comments by Pendlebury and the Coach today and also Nathan's comments this morning about the McStay/Grundy thing.

I'm neither endorsing nor rejecting any of it - just adding the link for people who want to catch up.
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

RudeBoy wrote:Clearly the club phucked up when it contracted Grundy on a $1 million x 7 yr contract. Now, with Wright in charge, it seems we are trying to correct that mistake, and the only way to do that is to encourage Grundy to pursue a trade elsewhere. So let's not blame Grundy for this mess. And let's not blame Wright either. The fault lies with the previous football administration who got us in to this mess.
Don’t blame Grundy for holding the club to ransom? He can always come to the club & say let’s work something out. Obviously you can’t blame Wright ( he wasn’t there) but Grundy can certainly take some blame.
burnsy17

Post by burnsy17 »

How has Grundy got any blame in this at all????

I dont agree with his contract at all, but if my boss was stupid enough to come to me and say “Yo dude, how about I give you $1M for the next 7 years” why would I be at any fault at all in accepting it??

If my performance drops off or I get injured…. Hey, thems the breaks!

At least Wright is a smart enough operator to know this and is trying to correct our past mistakes!
Beware the swooping Magpie.
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

Thank you. Most of that has been covered off in other pieces, no surprises at Bucks reaction nor Fly's.

I don't believe this bit at all.
Grundy’s departure from Collingwood is the key to unlocking trades for Brisbane big man Dan McStay, Adelaide forward Billy Frampton and GWS Giants young gun Bobby Hill.
We've been reportedly linked to McStay since before Grundy got injured so we must have that space available and neither Frampton or Hill would be coming on big $. I do believe this bit
Browne’s AFL trade sources suggest the Pies’ view is that they want a lower percentage of their salary cap tied up in their ruck stocks.

“For example, around a million dollars was the model at Hawthorn under Graham Wright,” he reported.

“At the moment Collingwood have close to $1.5 to $2 million tied up in their ruck stocks and they want to reallocate that money with the cap.”
That makes it more of a philosophical decision rather than a desperate need to shed $ to make space.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 182 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

If Grundy’s trade request comes, I would be happy to trade him to North Melbourne for a future first round pick and Todd Goldstein given the draft relief package the AFL has given North today.

I don’t want Grundy to go but just hypothesising a way to get a high draft pick we may not get access too if we repeat this years top 4 finish.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
The Black and White Lion

If Grundy’s trade request comes, I would be happy to trade him to North Melbourne for a future first round pick and Todd Goldstein given the draft relief package the AFL has given North today.

I don’t want Grundy to go but just hypothesising a way to get a high draft pick we may not get access too if we repeat this years top 4 finish.
The Black and White Lion

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:Does anyone think that Grundy would not have made it back if he wanted to?

C'mon, Goldy came back from an ACL is hardly less time
I think we shouldn’t underestimate his efforts to come back from a PCL. I think Most players struggle in there first phase back from a PCL. Even Luke Hodge had a poor year by his standards after coming off a PCL recovery.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

burnsy17 wrote:How has Grundy got any blame in this at all????

I dont agree with his contract at all, but if my boss was stupid enough to come to me and say “Yo dude, how about I give you $1M for the next 7 years” why would I be at any fault at all in accepting it??

If my performance drops off or I get injured…. Hey, thems the breaks!

At least Wright is a smart enough operator to know this and is trying to correct our past mistakes!
So in your fantasy world the club just offered Grundy $7 million out of the blue? Grundy and his management didn’t make excessive demands?

If you go to your boss and say I’m worth $7 million, pay me or I go elsewhere and he caves then you fail to do your job for the next 3 years, yeah I’d expect some heat to fall back on you…