Vale / in Memorium

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Fair Call. I like Stan Grant's writing.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Excellent article. It was weird for the AFL to play God Save the Queen and have welcome to country at the same time (more or less)

This was well explained in this article in today’s Age:

https://amp.theage.com.au/sport/afl/a-m ... 5bivw.html
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Probably the best piece of writing I’ve read about the death of QE2 calling like it is while being respectful. Who else? One of Australia’s best writers and mind: Richard Flanagan: (He also references Daisy Pierce)

https://www.theage.com.au/national/perh ... 5biop.html
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Is it true that security at the funeral will include Buffy on a special vigil, stake in hand, just in case?

No, no no - I thought that but I'm so glad I didn't post it.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Very tone deaf. At Least Maroondah is an Aboriginal name with a lot of local ownership of it. It was originally (IIRC) a community funded and built hospital.

Interesting timing of all the upgrade talk too. First Guy comes out offering money to upgrade it, now Dan is talking about serious upgrades.

The hospital seriously needs work, the main part was built in the 70's and it's been added to and bits bolted on to the point where apart from the (relatively) newish Psych Inpatient units, the rest of it really needs bulldozing and starting again.

Problem with that idea is there is no land to build a new one on unless they compulsorily acquire the road and houses on the south and east.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Most of the houses either side are already apart of the hospital anyway, but it’s long overdue and quite remarkable it occurs the day after the state government accuses the opposition of being unable to fund the upgrade
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Several of the houses are but most are privately owned.

IIRC they all have caveats of some kind on their titles that the Hospital gets first right of refusal if they want to sell. They have/had an expansion plan that covered all that 10+ years ago.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Nice pomp and ceremony to start with but religious services at funerals are just so cold and impersonal to me unless you hear eulogies from those who loved you most.

It's a pity that protocol I guess doesn't allow for one final rendition of God save the QUEEN to be sung.

That would have been moving.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Back to QEII, apparently the funeral is on all the FTA stations. I wouldn't know as I'm watching Fox Footy but mum, after declaring she had no interest in watching it is now watching it.

Apparently the choir and music is beautiful.

We clearly have different tastes, that fkn organ sound coming from the back room makes me want to get the shotgun and put her TV to sleep, but I'll try to tune it out.
David

Post by David »

Just wait until the bagpipes start! Might have to invest in a better soundbar.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

What??? Love the bagpipes!!!
David

Post by David »

[quote="eddiesmith"]What??? Love the bagpipes!!!