Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Well we don't have to pay De Goey $850K a year for 4 years, either. The Club will come to regret that. 12 disposals, 6 of them clangers in a preliminary final and no interest in defensive running. He's not going to play another 50 games of AFL.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:I think it’s as the article quoted says. It’s all about relief of salary cap space. If Grundy was on 600-700k a year I don’t think anybody would be arguing about his worth in the team. He improves our clearance rate out of the centre. Why wouldn’t we want that? At the moment our priorities are:
A big bodied forward who if he doesn’t mark the ball, be brings it to ground.
A small forward with leg speed to compliment our forward line.
A big bodied second tall defender to help out Moore.
An in and under midfielder to improve our clearance rate out of the centre.
Our mid season recruitment of Carmichael followed by speculation of picking up McStay, Frampton, Bobby Hill and Fiorini addresses those weaknesses on our list. At the end of the day we lose an elite ruckman, but fix up structural weaknesses in the team that were evident out on the field against Geelong and the Swans in our two finals losses.
Could we have done better by picking an elite forward or defender? The answer is no. We couldn’t afford Steve May or Jeremy Cameron. We can’t even afford Taranto.
To get “elite” the only way we can do it is by Derek Hine weaving magic on national draft day.
Agreed.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

And the deal we’re apparently intending to do is going to cost us much more - in: very vanilla, slow tall; out: one of our 3 most-talented players. It’s hard to see how there is any sense to this, at all. We could balance the books more effectively by pissing off De Goey to St Kilda - they’re not going to ask us to pay $300,000 of his dead-weight salary because they think he’s a top player.

It’ll be interesting to revisit this next year, should De Goey manage to avoid suspension for so long. Collingwood hasn’t played since Saturday - all good so far.
BazBoy
Been liked: 31 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Podpicken

Post by Podpicken »

Anyone like the idea of a first round pick and Tomlinson for big Reg and a third round with Dees? Or is that asking too much?
Billy Picken, the great No. 25 in the sky!
Presti35
Has liked: 171 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

Sam Hayes is a promising young ruckman that is continuing to add size to his 205cm frame. Following the injury to first-choice ruckman Scott Lycett, Hayes made his long-awaited debut in Round 5 against Carlton. Although his time on the AFL field has been limited, he has taken his opportunity in the ruck where given - averaging 29.3 hit outs with 9.3 to advantage across his seven AFL games in 2022.

Still evolving as a young player, Hayes is working to hone his craft ability and build some versatility into his game. Working to improve running ability and work at ground level will be a focus for the young Hayes as he looks to crack into a competitive Port Adelaide side.
TOTAL GAMES: 7.
DOB: 09 June 1999.
HEIGHT:205 cm
DEBUT: 2022.
DRAF: #47,2017 NationalDraft
RECRUITED FROM: Ferntree Gully (Vic)/Eastern U18

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... Hayes.html

Can get over 30 hitouts a game, but how many to advantage? Can he take contested marks? Can he kick goals?

This is not the replacement I've been thinking of. #camwood #guyrichards #chrisbryan
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

There has to be more to it than just salary cap. Has to be more to it that the club is keeping a tight lid on. The Grundy and McStay talk doesn’t make any sense and we plebs will probably never know.
jayaykay

Post by jayaykay »

Presti35 wrote:
Sam Hayes is a promising young ruckman that is continuing to add size to his 205cm frame. Following the injury to first-choice ruckman Scott Lycett, Hayes made his long-awaited debut in Round 5 against Carlton. Although his time on the AFL field has been limited, he has taken his opportunity in the ruck where given - averaging 29.3 hit outs with 9.3 to advantage across his seven AFL games in 2022.

Still evolving as a young player, Hayes is working to hone his craft ability and build some versatility into his game. Working to improve running ability and work at ground level will be a focus for the young Hayes as he looks to crack into a competitive Port Adelaide side.
TOTAL GAMES: 7.
DOB: 09 June 1999.
HEIGHT:205 cm
DEBUT: 2022.
DRAF: #47,2017 NationalDraft
RECRUITED FROM: Ferntree Gully (Vic)/Eastern U18

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... Hayes.html

Can get over 30 hitouts a game, but how many to advantage? Can he take contested marks? Can he kick goals?

This is not the replacement I've been thinking of. #camwood #guyrichards #chrisbryan
I was also thinking of #davidfanning too. To make sure I had the right guy, I found his wiki page. Didn't know he played 14 games...that's way more than I would have thought. Anyway, wiki says:
Height 406 cm (13 ft 4 in)
Weight 970 kg (2,138 lb)
At 38 years of age, can we re-recruit him ASAP? He would be unbeatable with that physique!! :lol:
True 'Pies fans will go to the ends of the Earth for their team!!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Hmm... I'd be the first to go in to bat for Wikipedia's credibility, but how many years has this been up for? :shock:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Fan ... ootballer)
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Presti35
Has liked: 171 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

Here's a recent picture
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

If Grundy only nets us a 3rd round selection as compensation then his entire salary (or at the very least 90%) would want to be off our books.

To consider anything less would be perverse for a player that remains our best ruck option in the eyes of many, is a former dual AA and heading to a club in Melbourne that has pursued him to cover for the loss of Jackson. This isn't a one sided trade at all.

Conversely if we are going to be contributing $200,000+ a season for the next 5 years in order to facilitate the trade I would expect nothing less than a 1st round selection as compensation.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
jessfootball

Post by jessfootball »

Max Lynch?

Young ruckman Max Lynch departed for Hawthorn as part of a trade that included a swap of picks in next year's draft. A promising player, Lynch found it difficult to find a position in the senior squad as a consequence of the consistency of players such as Brodie Grundy.

"There was a spot here for him, we really wanted him to stay but we understood that he wanted to explore the opportunity to be the first ruck somewhere," Wright said.

"He goes with our absolute best wishes, but we were really solid we wanted Max to stay.

"When you're an understudy and you don't see the light at the end of the tunnel, we understand that you may want to have a look elsewhere. He's got an opportunity there at Hawthorn to be a first ruck."
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

Lynch only got 7 games at the Hawks this year. Stats haven’t improved overall, probably says more about the team than him though
RudeBoy
Been liked: 76 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I never rated Lynch as a ruckman. A nice bloke though.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:Lynch only got 7 games at the Hawks this year. Stats haven’t improved overall, probably says more about the team than him though
Yep, I had a look the other day Vr Dogs. Outplayed going by the stats, with no standout feature.

24 yrs of age. Right on the cusp of never was, or becoming the next triple Premiership Ruckman who goes on to play till he is 35.