Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

Presti35 wrote:^ and there's the MSD which is also known as the ruckman draft. :lol:
Very good point, if we get season ending injuries in any position, draft in next best available half way thru season
Redcraze

Post by Redcraze »

Presti35 wrote:^ and there's the MSD which is also known as the ruckman draft. :lol:
Melbourne Sports Depot???????
The future is hidden from all men, and the greatest football matches hang on the smallest chances. - Demosthenes
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 182 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Just out of curiosity, who are the MSD ruck men you’re thinking of? I get the concept but I’m not sure you can count any of them as a success based on the recent MSDs just yet.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
gurugeoff

Post by gurugeoff »

The Black and White Lion wrote:
Just out of curiosity, who are the MSD ruck men you’re thinking of? I get the concept but I’m not sure you can count any of them as a success based on the recent MSDs just yet.

Basically the best ‘big log’ that is out there, or a retired ruckman from the previous year - not looking for sucess, just someone to compete
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Guy Richards says "Hi".
burnsy17

Post by burnsy17 »

So do John Ceglar and Jarrod Witts!
Beware the swooping Magpie.
burnsy17

Post by burnsy17 »

Just on Witts…. That was a sliding doors moment for our club, was it not?

We chose Grundy over Witts…. What would have been if it went the other way??

Who knows, just curious!
Beware the swooping Magpie.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ We wouldn't have made the 2018 or 2019 finals, since Grundy, Pendlebury and Sidebottom basically carried the team on their backs in both years.

Also, there'd have been people on here whining about the Club paying Witts $650K per year - and Wright would have wanted him gone, now - because that would still have meant a 60% over-spend on ruck stocks compared to Wright's preferred list-salary profile.
Harrysz

Post by Harrysz »

Was Grundy at the Copeland?
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Yes.
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

So now it is open knowledge that Grundy is being traded to relieve salary cap pressure on Collingwood to Melbourne so that they will be a stronger team and likely to be a real challenger for the flag in 2023 just when Collingwood has hopes of getting to the Grand Final as well. At the same time as Collingwood is looking to recruit Dan McStay on a reported salary of $600K for 5 years, the Club is looking to off-load Grundy's $1,000K salary by paying Melbourne $300K to take him. That equates to maybe a $100K saving for exchange of Grundy for McStay. Collingwood can expect to get maybe Pick 13 from Melbourne in the deal.
I have a couple of alternative ideas that I'm really surprised and disappointed that Collingwood and Graham Wright haven't thought it through;
1. Don't recruit Dan McStay and instead keep Brody Grundy to help in our push to a premiership.
2. Instead of dealing with Melbourne and helping a real competitor for the flag next year be a better team, why not deal with Nth Melbourne who are desperate for some good news and a class ruckman to take over from their aging champion Todd Goldstein. Surely Nth Melbourne would give up their Pick 1 in the Draft for Grundy and not insist that Collingwood pay part of Grundy's salary for the next 5 years?
Come on Wright put the thinking cap on and do the right thing by Collingwood and push the trading of Grundy into the positive side of the ledger!!
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
MAY-Z

Post by MAY-Z »

Boot wrote:So now it is open knowledge that Grundy is being traded to relieve salary cap pressure on Collingwood to Melbourne so that they will be a stronger team and likely to be a real challenger for the flag in 2023 just when Collingwood has hopes of getting to the Grand Final as well. At the same time as Collingwood is looking to recruit Dan McStay on a reported salary of $600K for 5 years, the Club is looking to off-load Grundy's $1,000K salary by paying Melbourne $300K to take him. That equates to maybe a $100K saving for exchange of Grundy for McStay. Collingwood can expect to get maybe Pick 13 from Melbourne in the deal.
I have a couple of alternative ideas that I'm really surprised and disappointed that Collingwood and Graham Wright haven't thought it through;
1. Don't recruit Dan McStay and instead keep Brody Grundy to help in our push to a premiership.
2. Instead of dealing with Melbourne and helping a real competitor for the flag next year be a better team, why not deal with Nth Melbourne who are desperate for some good news and a class ruckman to take over from their aging champion Todd Goldstein. Surely Nth Melbourne would give up their Pick 1 in the Draft for Grundy and not insist that Collingwood pay part of Grundy's salary for the next 5 years?
Come on Wright put the thinking cap on and do the right thing by Collingwood and push the trading of Grundy into the positive side of the ledger!!
Where to start with this

He isn’t being traded to relieve salary cap pressure, he is being traded as he isn’t performing to the level of the contract, so his funds can be better utilised throughout the entire squad

The way his contract is stricter he has a few $1.2m years coming up, so even if we pay $300k and McStay is around $550k that’s still a saving that allows Hill to come in for free salary wise

McStay is coming and will be confirmed today, he enables the team to strengthen at either end of the ground

I don’t think he will strengthen Melbourne that much, as if he is playing ruck and doing well, then Gawn isn’t, and vice-versa.

As Grundy is in contract you can’t trade him without consent so he needs to agree with where he is going, so you can’t just send him to North Melbourne
matrix10

Post by matrix10 »

MAY-Z wrote:[]

Where to start with this

He isn’t being traded to relieve salary cap pressure, he is being traded as he isn’t performing to the level of the contract, so his funds can be better utilised throughout the entire squad

The way his contract is stricter he has a few $1.2m years coming up, so even if we pay $300k and McStay is around $550k that’s still a saving that allows Hill to come in for free salary wise

McStay is coming and will be confirmed today, he enables the team to strengthen at either end of the ground

I don’t think he will strengthen Melbourne that much, as if he is playing ruck and doing well, then Gawn isn’t, and vice-versa.

As Grundy is in contract you can’t trade him without consent so he needs to agree with where he is going, so you can’t just send him to North Melbourne
Bingo!
Add in that he is coming off a knee reco and the uncertainty he will return to anywhere near his best (he could but if not we have 5 years with a million dollar player on one leg)
It’s a shame but it’s a smart business decision
gobbles21

Post by gobbles21 »

Boot wrote:So now it is open knowledge that Grundy is being traded to relieve salary cap pressure on Collingwood to Melbourne so that they will be a stronger team and likely to be a real challenger for the flag in 2023 just when Collingwood has hopes of getting to the Grand Final as well. At the same time as Collingwood is looking to recruit Dan McStay on a reported salary of $600K for 5 years, the Club is looking to off-load Grundy's $1,000K salary by paying Melbourne $300K to take him. That equates to maybe a $100K saving for exchange of Grundy for McStay. Collingwood can expect to get maybe Pick 13 from Melbourne in the deal.
Because Grundy would simply say “NO.”

C’mon. Put your thinking cap on