Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Greening gold
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Greening gold »

Grundy’s ruck work consisted of him tapping it down to his feet - no imagination. He went games without taking a mark, or taking no more than a couple. He played like his heart wasn’t in it and, if he was studying and had lots of outside interests, then who can blame him. Good luck to him for setting himself up for life, but just wish it hadn’t been at Collingwood’s expense.
If you used to barrack for the 'Pies, you never barracked for the 'Pies.
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

Piesnchess
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Greening gold wrote:Grundy’s ruck work consisted of him tapping it down to his feet - no imagination. He went games without taking a mark, or taking no more than a couple. He played like his heart wasn’t in it and, if he was studying and had lots of outside interests, then who can blame him. Good luck to him for setting himself up for life, but just wish it hadn’t been at Collingwood’s expense.

Hes a very different cat to your average player, highly intelligent and highly qualified, very savvy. He may well tire of footy as he has so many options open to him with his qualifications, in the Business world maybe, where he can command a huge salary and his body wont be battered around. He may well decide to retire in the not too distant future, to seek greener pastures. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Melbourne now have invested $1.5-$1.6m just in their rucks. Given that 20 of the past 22 premiership teams have been won by a team without an AA ruckman, the odds suggest ruckman aren't the difference.

We'll also now see the Dees deal the inevitable continual decline in form over the next four years.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

We dont pay as much for him.
That was the choice Dees had - first rd pick back to us or absorb his contract.
We owe nothing ow for Treloar.
Id suggest this now is the best possible outcome from Wrights perspective and what he has planned.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

Magpie Russ wrote: We needed Grundy off the books. It was not like he came unencumbered. Where were the suitors for this AA B&F winner?!

Move on.
This. Great question by Gayzy re was something else going on during the SEN interview. Bit of a pause from Wrighty before denying it.

More to the story but we had a massive mortgage and couldnt pass the property in and only 1 bidder. Mediocre result but we appeased the bank.

Move on.
Last edited by Haff on Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Let's not bag Grundy, who was a champion Collingwood player and all Australian ruckman. He didn't want to leave us. This whole sorry saga is the result of our club agreeing to an idiotic monstrous 7 yr contract. It unbalanced our whole squad structure and hampered our ability to recruit on a needs basis. Ultimately, it has led us to trade him for way under his value, and for us to have to pay a fair portion of his ongoing salary. The fact is, our club's previous administration totally screwed our squad balance sheet and Wright has had to correct this. It's a bitter pill to swallow for us supporters, but hopefully it means we have a better balanced squad. It also leaves a strong message to other players, not to screw us for outlandish contracts.
Presti35
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

LaurieHolden wrote:I have the same feelings as when Peter Moore left.
I wasn't around for that one, but I did say to a friend that this is Peter Moore II.

Moore played 172 games for Collingwood, Grundy 177.

Moore was 25 when he left, Grundy is 28.

Moore went on to play 77 games for Melbourne, won a Brownlow in his second season there, did not play in a final there, retired after 7 games in his final season aged 30.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Presti35 wrote:
I wasn't around for that one, but I did say to a friend that this is Peter Moore II.

Moore went on to play 77 games for Melbourne, won a Brownlow in his second season there, did not play in a final there, retired after 7 games in his final season aged 30.
Those were the days……. when leaving a club as a champion was rare and noteworthy. I still recall a banner at the first Collingwood Melbourne match: it had the words: “Moore Filth” such were the passions at the time. A very different era on and off the field.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 75 times

Post by stui magpie »

Piesnchess wrote:
Greening gold wrote:Grundy’s ruck work consisted of him tapping it down to his feet - no imagination. He went games without taking a mark, or taking no more than a couple. He played like his heart wasn’t in it and, if he was studying and had lots of outside interests, then who can blame him. Good luck to him for setting himself up for life, but just wish it hadn’t been at Collingwood’s expense.

Hes a very different cat to your average player, highly intelligent and highly qualified, very savvy. He may well tire of footy as he has so many options open to him with his qualifications, in the Business world maybe, where he can command a huge salary and his body wont be battered around. He may well decide to retire in the not too distant future, to seek greener pastures. :o
IIRC he was studying physiotherapy or something similar, not business.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

Been better to have traded him instead of his massive contract
Water under the bridge
Hopefully our club and supporters have learned no more huge contracts
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

neil wrote:Been better to have traded him instead of his massive contract
Water under the bridge
Hopefully our club and supporters have learned no more huge contracts
Like we should have done with Cloke back in 2011.
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 75 times

Post by stui magpie »

watt price tully wrote:
Presti35 wrote:

Those were the days……. when leaving a club as a champion was rare and noteworthy. I still recall a banner at the first Collingwood Melbourne match: it had the words: “Moore Filth” such were the passions at the time. A very different era on and off the field.
It was also a time, VFL, when players could be traded without consent during the season.

Russell Greene famously rocked up to training at St Kilda one day only to be told to clean out his locker, he'd been traded to Hawthorn who he played for that weekend.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Presti35
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

Presti35 wrote:

Worth noting my friend said "as long as it doesn't end up being Lumumba II".
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

One thing for certain, no shortage of people who can find complaints. And there is no shortage of people who find complaints in everything.

Ponder this :

Long time ago, We didn't pay for Tony Locket because we didn't think we needed him.

Many years later, we paid for someone we thought we needed.