Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Why has Grundy suddenly been portrayed by some here as "injury prone" ?? He has been one of the most consistently uninjured players of all.
It was just one serious knee injury in Round 6 of this year - through which he played, in order to ensure our win - that led to his absence for the season.
It was caused by impact during the game - dumb lluck.
But prior to this, Grundy has not often been absent through injury.
Grundy has great physical toughness and endurance.
Why are other clubs with space not desperate to get him?
Probably because they observed his form in 2020 and 2021 when we were playing a game style that would have killed the talent of almost anyone, and then in 2022 only got to see 6 games from him.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Presti35
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

Piesnchess wrote:Anybody mosyed over to the Deeees Bigfooty site, I wonder what their fans are saying bout this deal, with an injury prone Grundy joining them on huge coin, and losing a younger, fitter, Jackson ? Whats their take on all this. ? :?
They're like us.

Some a happy that he's arrived. Others are not happy about it.

It's all about the size of the contract.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 75 times

Post by stui magpie »

Brereton made a good point (that's not an oxymoron) on Fox tonight.

Yabbie Jeans only liked Bang Crash ruckmen

Lee Matthews won 4 premierships with bang crash ruckmen

Fly played under Matthews with Bang Crash ruckmen. Not a Simon Madden in sight.

What he didn't say was that Fly and Leppa also coached at Richmond who won premierships with bang crash ruckmen.

If Brodie didn't go down injured and If he recaptured his pre Covid form he'd likely still be here, but he got injured and proved in his absense that we didn't need him for the money he was getting. Sad but business.

It will be very interesting to see how Grundy and Gawn play together next year with what is a very good midfield. With a midfield like that, winning hitouts becomes the least of the issue, its which midfielders get them and use them.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Presti35
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

It will come back to slap us hard is if one of these events occur:

*He wins the Charlie.
*He plays in a Premiership.
*He goes on to play at least 100 games, but that one not as much.

We'll have 5 seasons to wait for the result.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Grundy’s letter to members which is nice
Have a close read of the last paragraph
When he inked that monster deal with us we got
“Football and premierships won’t define me as a person that’s only a small part of who I am”

He signed with Melbourne they get a commitment to do his best he can for them

When I was drafted to the Collingwood Football Club in 2012, I felt proud to be a Collingwood player. When I signed my contract in 2020, my dream was to be a Pie for life,” Grundy wrote.

“My desire to remain at Collingwood did not change this year. However, after recent conversations with the club, this dream could no longer be a reality.

“Thank you to my teammates who have made my time at Collingwood so special. Over the 10 years, we’ve gone from teammates, to mates, to family.

“And thank you, to the Magpie Army for the unconditional love and support you’ve shown me over the past decade, it has made my time at Collingwood infinitely better.

“Signing with Melbourne Football Club today, I am deeply committed to my new club. I’m looking forward to the contribution I can make to Melbourne and their fans in 2023 and beyond.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

tbaker wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:...It's difficult to imagine any club other than Collingwood negotiating its trading so badly.
North Melbourne are at least on a par, if not worse. That's no consolation though.
Good Coast gave away pick 7 with a player to get rid of his salary, but yeah Collingwood is by far the worst…
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times

Post by eddiesmith »

RudeBoy wrote:Let's not bag Grundy, who was a champion Collingwood player and all Australian ruckman. He didn't want to leave us. This whole sorry saga is the result of our club agreeing to an idiotic monstrous 7 yr contract. It unbalanced our whole squad structure and hampered our ability to recruit on a needs basis. Ultimately, it has led us to trade him for way under his value, and for us to have to pay a fair portion of his ongoing salary. The fact is, our club's previous administration totally screwed our squad balance sheet and Wright has had to correct this. It's a bitter pill to swallow for us supporters, but hopefully it means we have a better balanced squad. It also leaves a strong message to other players, not to screw us for outlandish contracts.
It’s the result of Brodie holding the club to ransom and refusing to accept anything less until the idiots were overruled from above and forced to cave.

So no, I won’t absolve Grundy of all blame and it’s a crock of shit to pretend he is innocent in this.

He loved Collingwood did he? That’s why he put his own personal goals ahead of the team?

He also said he loved Adelaide and wanted to move back home in 2019 whilst negotiating. Now in 2022 he was going nowhere but Melbourne.

Take anything he says with a grain of salt.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Well, that was incredibly unsavoury from start to end. But it's done, and the blame lies with the old regime.

Grundy has found a new challenge, as difficult as the move would've been, and at least he went to his club of preference and that club wanted him. That's an important part of this, as much as we don't want them to realise any success.

The important thing is to never find ourselves in that sort of ugly predicament again. Contrary the flippant talk about other people's careers and lives from those lacking in accountability, this sort of situation is unacceptable and demoralising for an organisation. Much more of this sort of nonsense will set us back irreparably, but given Fly is new to the club and inherited this he will get the benefit of the doubt.

The future is still very bright, especially given we now have the ability to develop players.

Onward and upward.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Piesnchess
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Going to be very hard to see, and swallow, seeing him in those vile silvertail horrid Melbourne colours. I utterly loathe that silver tail mob, and their toffy snobby snowbound luke warm fans, always have. Seeing him on that big KB annual game, be hard to take, and in a big Final, even worse. Had he gone to the Dogs or Saints, Nth, even Swans, id be far better frame of mind, but not the arch enemy, one that will be a big main competitor of ours, next season. NO, I dont wish him well there, sorry, NO. Like how come he took a paycut with them, but not with us. ? Hes pretty hypocritical, says he loved the Club, well, why not take the pay cut, and stay, if he did it with them ?? Anyway, its done, but sure leaves a bitter taste in ones mouth. It is what it is, I guess. For now, we move on.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

Takes a pay cut at m3lbourne? After squeezing a million out of us?

Dead to me.
Buon Giorno
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^What, you've never seen that before in life? Are you joking? I can remember it a dozen times across my lifetime. It happens all the time because the dispute is with the original organisation, as was the inordinately long negotiation which landed the original contract.

The new deal almost becomes beside the point because of the bad blood. Very basic human psychology.

The problem goes back to the original negotiation, which the person pursued for whatever reason and which led them to that point. Not a single person on here who has fantasised otherwise would do differently because they would all think they're AA stars and therefore deserving, and a contract is a contract is a contract.

By god people talk shite, as if they'd be different when they no way in hell would be.

It's very different at, say, Geelong, because the parameters wouldn't be as irrational to start with, and the psychology wouldn't become fixed accordingly. It's a classic original sin problem.

It is as it is, and it's an outcome Fly needs for his plans, so I support it because it's not his fault. So be it, but don't embarrassingly pretend you'd be any different to Grundy if you were good enough to negotiate to that position back when it happened. You wouldn't be, so let it go. Bad blood makes it a hell of a lot easier to move on, pay cut or otherwise, always and ever in life.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 25 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Tony Shaw the successful coach said that?
Clifton Hill-Billy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Clifton Hill-Billy »

Will look like folly if just one of Cox or Cameron gets a long term injury and we slide down the ladder and don't make finals and conversely the team we traded Grundy to plays/wins the grand final, just like 2021 with Treloar fire sale.

Will look like inspired genius if the players we traded in, help us to overcome scumpire cheating in finals and get us a shot in the grand final and the possibility to win our 16th premiership as it did in 2010 when we brought in Jolly and Ball and triumphed in the replay to win our 15th premiership.
"Hey Ma get off the dang roof!"
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

simon tonna wrote:Grundys contract from us to them will be paid in one hit to a total of 650G , instead of 130G over the 5years henceforth the high pick of 27. A fantastic deal for us Collingwood magpie fans and not hero worshiping fans...
Is that how it really is? Haven't seen any reports to that nature.
I find your lack of faith disturbing