Post Match. Pies win thriller. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Jezza wrote:Great win. Not perfect by any means, but hard fought in many respects. Adelaide needs to be credited for their second half turnaround and pushing us to the end. I think they're more than capable of playing finals if they maintain that standard of football.

The Daicos boys and Mitchell were the backbone of driving us to victory. Some excellent defensive efforts from Noble, Quaynor and Markov today particularly in the dying stages of the game where Adelaide were pressing us.

Our lacklustre third quarters continue. Part of me wonders whether it's a deliberate strategy to conserve energy for the final term, but by doing this we risk allowing the opposition to comeback at us.

Forward line looked a bit dysfunctional as well. Johnson looks well off the pace, and probably would have been dropped if it weren't for McStay's persistent injury troubles. It's the second consecutive game he's been tactically subbed off. Harrison's efforts are admirable, but Ginnivan is an upgrade to replace him. Elliott was decent on his return. Mihocek's in a mini slump after being on track for a career best season a few weeks back.

Overall, plenty of learnings to take out of this game but things are good. We sit on top and our fighting spirit is as strong as it's ever been.
yup!

the wind factor was bad too, and it was so fricken cold!!!! OMG! yuk!
cheers mate!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Greening gold
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Greening gold »

Not yet convinced about Ash Johnson. Drops simple marks. I reckon we get more value out of McCreery.
If you used to barrack for the 'Pies, you never barracked for the 'Pies.
Greening gold
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Greening gold »

That cowardly Adelaide punk Keys should get a week and a hefty fine for ripping Mason's glasses off his head during the melee that Adelaide started.

What a low-life gutless cockroach - running up to Cox while he is trying to defend himself from attack by other ratbag Crows and ripping off his glasses.

If the Crows don't issue an apology and sanction him too then they are not worthy of their AFL licence.

And if the AFL doesn't sanction Keys with a week or two or, at the least, a hefty fine, then they are condoning such actions in future. If dakking an opponent brings the game into disrepute, what does pinching an opponent's glasses do?
If you used to barrack for the 'Pies, you never barracked for the 'Pies.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Skids »

Jezza wrote:Another amazing turnout by our supporters.

Top 10 (Collingwood vs Non-Vic H&A crowds in Melbourne)

[*] Rd 8 2023 = Collingwood vs Sydney (71,463)
[*] Rd 15 2023 = Collingwood vs Adelaide (65,930)[/b]
[*] Rd 9 2013 = Collingwood vs Sydney (65,306)
[*] Rd 21 2007 = Collingwood vs Sydney (63,842)
[*] Rd 13 2012 = Collingwood vs West Coast (62,957)
[*] Rd 19 2003 = Collingwood vs Brisbane Lions (61,868)
[*] Rd 3 2019 = Collingwood vs West Coast (60,878)
[*] Rd 2 2023 = Collingwood vs Port Adelaide (60,744)
[*] Rd 7 1998 = Collingwood vs Sydney (57,894)
[*] Rd 10 2006 = Collingwood vs Brisbane Lions (54,820)
Will round 18 v Fremantle, top the lot?

It's a Saturday arvo, long range forecast is for a fine day.
It'll be my first game at the G this season, cant wait! Sitting in M54
Don't count the days, make the days count.
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

inxs88 wrote:Gold Coast Match:

Outs:

* Johnson: omit
* Harrison: omit
* Maynard: TBA

Ins:

* Frampton
* F Macrae/Ryan/Carmichael
Frampton for Maynard - that’ll do
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
dalyc

Post by dalyc »

masoncox wrote:
inxs88 wrote:Casual observations from being at the game:

* we fumbled and got too cute with our ball movement
* Mihocek and Johnson two shockers in a row
* Degoey out kills us. We miss his 6-8 bursts from clearances
* We gave Adelaide those bursts from clearance
* Cameron was strong in the last quarter when it counted
* Crisp's 15 metre shot from goal was taken at 35 metres. Horrible effort
* Our forwards got zero separation from Crows defence
* Their forwards got maximum separation
* McCreery should never be the sub again
* Dropping Frampton was stupid
* Welcome back courageous Jeremy Howe
Good sum up.
Dawson for Adelaide smashed us.
No one seemed to be on him
Cox was held at every marking contest.
We need a big crashing forward like a McStay.
And another gorilla down back.
You can’t use gorilla anymore. Did you not get the memo?
dalyc

Post by dalyc »

Magpietothemax wrote:
masoncox wrote:Dawson from Adelaide thrashed us in the midfield all day
Yes, I agree, since JDG has been out, our midfield has looked significantly weaker. I think it is time next week to give Finn McCrae a crack.
What I’ve seen of Finn running, looks like a spider moving through treacle. Slow. So, he’s an inside mid only, and we’ve got Mitchell and Adams already.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

ITS TIME to rest, manage Checkers, and unleash Krueger at FF, the hour hath come. Just do it.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Always happy with a win but there is some concerning signs for our defence
We seemed especially in the 3rd term miss hand overs on number our occasions
Moore likes to play up the field which leaves Murphy playing on deepest forward often
There was 3 occasions be it miscommunication or slow to adapt the handing over of crows forwards got completely lost
The other issue we have with Murphy playing as deepest defender is this season he has won just 8 of 29 one on one marking contests inside 50
He’s a great 3rd man up defender but often gets turned under the ball or our bodied or out paced. He’s not suited to the 1-1 game
IQ conversely has won 14 of 15 one on one marking duals
We need a big body defender to play on opposition beasts to free up Moore and Howe to be free to play what they see
Frampton is the answer and the sooner we drop him in at FB and leave him there the better he will be
Murphy then would be the rotating defender giving other a rest
I like Markov he offers a lot that might go unnoticed but his speed worries opponents whether he has the ball or is chasing to get the ball back
He also can get back in defence rapidly and lend a hand
For mine he should be camped on a wing at the moment playing the role Sidey used to play getting back in defence then assisting with the rebounding out
Just a question we don’t seem to rest Cameron forward as much as we used to. Is this because we have Johnson there and we don’t want to be to tall and slow ?
Cameron was a reliable goal kicker and could be handy come finals
Overall we banked 4 more points and that’s what’s matters and we move on to next week
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

The desperate last 2 minutes
John Noble desperate chase to the boundary then dispossessed the Crow ball carrier
And Marcov stepped up for another hard act Giving in not an option with this side
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

After watching the replay I noticed some similarities between yesterday and the game vs Lions.
Both Brisbane and Adelaide kicked 8+ unanswered goals but what is forgotten is that we missed easy shots on goal during the goal runs in both instances.
During Adelaide’s run both Cameron and Crisp missed easy shots from 20m out which could have stopped the momentum.

Another observation is that when we are up by 4goals or more, we tend to make elementary errors under no pressure which then creates a turnover from absolutely nowhere.
This happened yesterday at least five times when we were up. This is probably a reason why we are struggling to “finish” teams off when we have the ascendancy.

Big, big, big cudos to John Noble who was outstanding.
The courage to leave his opponent and make up 25m to lay a crucial tackle in the dying minutes was the highlight of the game for me.
- Side By Side -
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by piffdog »

Great to get the points - enjoyed the fightback at the game live. Some of those individual efforts in thel ast quarter were awesome (Noble, Cox 2 goals and Hosko clutch snap).

Its another occasion where the oppo gets a run on us though (Bris earlier this year 10x goals, Carlton last round last year 8x goals) and something that needs addressing somehow. Not sure its necessarily the defenders either (who were all great yesterday) but more the midfield and whats happening up the ground. When the oppo gets a turnover, no defence is prepared and the likes of Walker can have a field day one on one. I think the attacking nature of Moore and Howe is important, and I would be reluctant to sub in Frampton for one on ones, if it means you are going to rob an attacking part of your game.

I think Johnson is the obvious one to make way for McStay. I think Ash has so much raw talent, but its hard to watch him give a half hearted effort chasing someone. If he doesnt clunk marks and kick goals I dont feel like he offers anything else. Kicked a great running goal yesterday however, but I think we need to see more layers to his game. They have just recruited McStay so when fit, no way he's not in the team at the expense of somebody.

I think we missed McReery's pressue. Not sure if he was managed for game time or genuinely not in the best 22?

And to all those worrying about our defence - we are about 8 goals clear of 2nd and 3rd ranked St Kilda and Melbourne for points conceeded. We're doing ok down there. I personally think its still our attack which could do with a little more potency. Couple of average misses yesterday (Crisp, Cameron), along with a couple dropped uncontested chest marks 30m out on a lead. Jodry will help with this when he comes back I think.

I genuinely think even an off day for this team and coach is better than almost everyone else's best. We probably should have dropped at least one of our games against Adelaide this year, and have been kept in a few with the oppo poor conversion (King's Birthday). But we have found a way. So long as we can gradually build into finals from here (which I have faith in the coash to deliver) hopefully we can play our best footy when it counts - in which case I think we are the best team in it.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

derkd wrote:The reason I am worried is that this isn't just Adelaide that had gotten on top of us...a side that was just belted by an almost AFL record in West Coast, yes they ran out of legs...but came at us hard..as did North. This is a trend.

Adelaide were all over us in the 3rd....but also the first 10 mins of the game, had they kicked straight would have been up by 2 or 3 goals.

Yes De Goey is a loss, but shouldn't be the difference with us being a 6 goal different side.

Not panicking as we have plenty of time to fix it. But if left untreated is the sort of thing that will bubble away...might cost us the odd home and away game....but could really cost us in a preliminary final.

Lucky win, but the team has much to work on. Getting belted out.of the middle at key stages too.
People do woefully underestimate the critical importance of Sidebottom’s two-way running. He is very frequently our deepest defender when the ball catches our defenders out of position. The ability to read the game, then give off a neat pass or, if needs must, pretend to fumble the ball out of bounds to kill a scoring opportunity is crucial - as is his capacity to get free to present an easy out to a defender under pressure. With Sidey cleaning up, their 7 goal quarter becomes 3 or 4, at worst.
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

derkd wrote:Good to win, but I am getting very worried overall, feels like our game plan is starting to get picked apart....3rd time like that in a big final it is good night nurse.

Pendles late in that second term had a player wide open in the 50 and looks backwards first and misses it.

Crows played well and credit to them, but this side needs more gears then just all out.run and gun.
Every game gets "Picked apart". Every coachs game plan gets dissected firstly by the media and then the opposition coaching staff. Last week, we had a virus run through the entire club and if sources are to be believed, both Daicos boys ,Pendles and Cox and Maynard shouldn't have played. They did play and played accordingly.We lost by 4 points. We have 3 very very good players still to come back in and 3 that have returned from long injury stints. We'll see how they "pick us apart" when we are at full strength and for those who are Embarrassed"!! by our team, go follow someone else. Really easy. And as a PS to a comment in another post,If you don't think DeGoey "'Should make THAT much difference" Think about the impact Jordan Dawson had on yesterdays game or on OUR side of the ledger, what effect Nick Daicos had for us. One player makes a BIG difference and right now we are missing Jordy big time.
Bleedblackanwhite

Post by Bleedblackanwhite »

People seem to forget, we haven’t had a settled side all year,

Still have Degoey, Sidebottom and Mcstay out,

Lipinski needs games after a long spell out, Jamie has been out and injured, Cameron still hasn’t been anywhere near his best since he came back from his long lay off and we’ve had the flu in and out of the club the last 6 or so weeks.

Just need to bank wins at this stage and get games into players who have been out and the cohesion will come back.
Collingwood forever, forever Collingwood