Post Match. Hawks humble Pies . All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

piedys wrote:
Haff wrote:The feeling I have right now I can only compare to 02, 11 and 18. It feels like we just lost a grand final.
Inevitably at every flag tilt, the **** eventually manifests to piss all over our plans
Haff, I have the very same feeling, it’s weird and I’m trying very hard to be upbeat and positive. But deep down, I can’t deny the sinking feeling that breaks my dear old heart that’s been good to me in my life. I hate that feeling but my head has worked out that it’s due to the past traumas of GF losses.

Bro piedys I have no idea how it all manifests but it does and usually it stuffs up our aspirations, but this time it won’t. We will win them all now until the finals start and then we’ll see how it fathoms. We will be back in top form.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Geek

Post by Geek »

Culprit wrote:Despite the negativity, I draw many positives. Nick being out is a game-changer and our coaches now have to change the line-up and game plan. I am looking forward to this week and we are going to rock the opposition who think we are a one-team player. We shocked them at the start of the year with all our injuries and we are set to do it again. Nick will come back at the right time.
Pretty much how I see it. It's a pity it happened on the eve of finals and that it looks around 6 weeks instead of 3 or 4 but we have a chance to shake things up and maybe get a new string to the bow
JC Hartley

Post by JC Hartley »

On the opening Saturday in August, Collingwood did not fire a shot and barely offered a whimper in their shock loss to Hawthorn by 32 points. It was clear from the outset in the opening term that the Magies did not come with the right intensity against the Hawks and paid a substantial price on the scoreboard to trail by 23 points at quarter time. The second quarter was easily Collingwood's best quarter of the entire game as they got within a kick with a burst of four goals to get back into the contest. The half time deficit was reduced to 11 points at the main break. The third term saw the Pies play sloppy footy as the Hawks continued to restore and then gain capital on their margin to lead by 26 points at three quarter time. Hawthorn snuffed out any prospect of a comeback with the first three goals of the last quarter to put the game beyond doubt, before Collingwood booted three of the last four goals to reduce the deficit and add respectability to the scoreboard in a game which the Woods lost by 32 points.

The only statistics Collingwood won on the evening were clearances by +2 (36 - 34), stoppage clearances by +17 (33 - 16), +9 for tackles (65 - 56) and contested marks had a margin of +3 (10 - 7). Hawthorn monopolised all of the remaining key statistical categories starting with disposals by +97 (410 - 313), +79 for kicks (252 - 173), handballs were won by +18 (158 - 140), while contested possessions had a differential of +4 (116 - 112), followed by uncontested possessions being claimed by +87 (285 - 198). Turnovers were -8 in Hawthorn's favour (57 - 65), intercept possessions were won by +6 (65 - 59), hit-outs had a margin of +13 (49 - 36), and centre clearances had an advantage of +15 ( 18 - 3 ). Tackles Inside 50 were claimed by +3 ( 11 - 8 ), while the Hawks had a field day with a differential of +63 for marks (139 - 76), uncontested marks had a margin of +66 (132 - 66), while intercept marks were up by +6 (65 - 59), Marks Inside 50 were won by +7 (16 - 9), and +16 for Inside 50s (59 - 43).

Scott Pendlebury (23 disposals @ 70%, 439 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 9 handballs, 4 marks, 7 tackles, 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements, 6 clearances, 5 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50s & 1 goal) accumulated disposals and provided territory while impacting the scoreboard late.

Steele Sidebottom (21 disposals @ 67%, 400 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 18 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 17 kicks, 4 handballs, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal assist, 2 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50s & 6 Rebound 50s) found it challenging to maintain possession effectively under pressure, and his attacking flair was stymied throughout the entire game.

Josh Daicos (19 disposals @ 84%, 341 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 7 handballs, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 2 score involvements, 2 clearances & 2 stoppage clearances) accumulated his possessions effectively under the circumstances, but was unable to generate aggressive and meaningful ball use in the process.

Jordan De Goey (17 disposals @ 82%, 353 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 7 kicks, 10 handballs, 5 tackles, 4 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 2 goals) had a moderate impact on the game with two goals that initially kept Collingwood in the game, before it got away from them.

Darcy Cameron (11 disposals @ 82%, 124 metres gained, 31 hit-outs, 8 contested possessions, 3 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 5 kicks, 6 handballs, 5 tackles, 2 score involvements, 2 clearances & 2 stoppage clearances) had his hit-outs sharked by the opposition in the middle, but continued to compete manfully at stoppages around the ground.

Jack Crisp (27 disposals @ 67%, 547 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 12 handballs, 8 marks, 3 tackles, 6 score involvements, 5 clearances, 5 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) spent most of the time defending with plenty of marks taken and territory provided on transition without being particularly accurate nor damaging. Crisp had stints in the midfield where he won some clearances and created opportunities for his forwards.

Isaac Quaynor (18 disposals @ 78%, 228 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 7 kicks, 11 handballs, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 2 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 3 Rebound 50s) did the best he could under the circumstances with his ball use being mostly effective throughout the evening. Quaynor almost kicked a great running goal in the second term that would've levelled the scores. That was as close as Collingwood got to the lead for the entire game.

John Noble (16 disposals @ 94%, 249 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 6 kicks, 10 handballs, 4 marks, 2 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 4 Rebound 50s) took the game on by releasing handballs on the run which hit their targets, but he had his kicking game nullified.

Brayden Maynard (16 disposals @ 88%, 239 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 7 handballs, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 2 goal assists, 4 score involvements & 2 Inside 50s) had a solid game on a dirty night for the club, where he hit the vast majority of his targets and created scores off half-back.

Jeremy Howe (14 disposals @ 86%, 229 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 5 handballs, 5 marks, 2 contested marks, 2 score involvements & 5 Rebound 50s) had a sublime first quarter where he marked everything to reduce the damge, but could not maintain that momentum for the remainder of the contest.

Darcy Moore (12 disposals @ 92%, 288 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 10 intercept possessions, 6 kicks, 6 handballs, 8 marks, 3 contested marks, 2 Inside 50s & 8 Rebound 50s) had a brilliant marking game as he usually does, but did not make excellent decisions with his possessions, one of which was a lazy and casual handpass that got turned over and resulted in a goal in the third term.

Patrick Lipinski (18 disposals @ 78%, 196 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 7 kicks, 11 handballs, 2 tackles, 6 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) created opportunities for his teammates up forward, but there were occasions where Lipinski didn't go after the ball with complete hunger and desperation that may pose questions about his spot in the AFL side, unless he responds with aplomb.

Taylor Adams (13 disposals @ 69%, 146 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 5 kicks, 8 handballs, 4 tackles, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 2 Inside 50s) had a similar impact to Lipinski where he created scoring opportunities for his teammates, but not much else. Adams had stints in the middle with not much success coming from it.

Bobby Hill (13 disposals @ 62%, 188 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 4 handballs, 6 marks, 3 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 1 goal) rolled and worked high up the ground for his marks, before ending up with Collingwood's last goal of the game.

Brody Mihocek (12 disposals @ 67%, 311 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 4 handballs, 4 marks, 3 goal assists, 5 score involvements & 6 Inside 50s) generated forward territory and scoring chains without kicking any goals.

Beau McCreery (11 disposals @ 73%, 299 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 7 kicks, 4 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 1 goal) provided energy with his tackling, and had scoreboard impact by creating opportunities and snapping a goal in the second term.

Jamie Elliott (11 disposals @ 73%, 195 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 7 kicks, 4 handballs, 5 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 3 tackles, 6 score involvements, 4 Inside 50s & 3 goals) made the most of his chances in front of goal on a night where very few opportrunities came his way up forward.

Dan McStay (6 disposals @ 83%, 5 hit-outs, 4 contested possessions, 2 uncontested possessions, 4 kicks, 2 handballs, 4 marks, 3 contested marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 4 tackles, 4 score involvements & 2 goals) impacted a few marking contests up forward where he was able to convert his goals, while giving Darcy Cameron a chop-out in the ruck, even though he never looked convincing while he was there as a relief ruckman.

Collingwood's next game will be against Geelong on August 11 at the MCG. Over the last two games, the Magpies have had issues with their hunger and desperation at each contest at ground level and in aerial contests. The Woods will have to win their next few games without Nick Daicos & Nathan Murphy, which are savage blows to the morale of the entire team. The Cats have winning form into this game, so it will be a huge task and challenge to win without the aforementioned pair of players in the immediate term. Collingwood's hunger for the ball must be accomplished if victory is to be achieved against the reigning premiers on Friday night.
JC Hartley
Pete 70
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Pete 70 »

Love you Lazza. And I suspect we have similar heartaches about this team. I f…ng hate Carlton but I despise Hawthorn much more. And they are irrelevant this year. It’s crazy times at the moment with a number of teams playing with nothing to lose. We look tired. And two weeks ago we looked amazing. We will turn it around. Then a home final hopefully against Port or Brisbane, and it all starts again. When you win really well, it’s never quite that good, and when you lose badly it’s never quite as dire as it seems. We match up well against the Cats, and it couldn’t come at a better time. I thi k Degoey will be best on ground. Have a good week all.
Dispatches from a foreign land
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

The lack of marks being taken around the ground by our tall players is a point of difference compared to most other teams.
The inability of Cox, Cameron and Johnson (when in the ruck) to mark the dump kicks to 70m out both F50 and D50 creates unrelenting pressure on other structures in particular the defenders.
They have both been poor the last 6 weeks and both need to lift significantly if we are to be able to be our best.
- Side By Side -
Magpiefan3

Post by Magpiefan3 »

Disappointing to see the mass exit of supporters leaving in the last quarter especially in the last quarter in the Ponsford Stand.
2016 Player Sponsor for Travis Varcoe

2017-2019 Player Sponsor for Lynden Dunn
Jezza
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Collingwouldn't wrote:That'd be 2 flags in 8 Grand Finals. Positive? Hmmm ...
Not really focusing on the end result of those Grand Finals.

I'm trying to emphasise that Hawthorn has troubled us for years, even in times where we were significantly stronger than them. The talk of a "straight sets" exit is premature.

There's a lot to work on, but we're not done yet.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Magpietothemax wrote:
Culprit wrote:Despite the negativity, I draw many positives. Nick being out is a game-changer and our coaches now have to change the line-up and game plan. I am looking forward to this week and we are going to rock the opposition who think we are a one-team player. We shocked them at the start of the year with all our injuries and we are set to do it again. Nick will come back at the right time.
I think you have made a valid point. With all the media hype surrounding Naicos, some of us might have come to believe that it will be impossible for us to win without him. We have forgotten how we adapted when our ruck division was missing.
The next 3 weeks will be an epic test for our coaches and also for our sports psychologist/s.
In some ways we're the victim of our own and Nick's success. It sounds silly, but in retrospect you'd rather we were exposed earlier than the Melbourne game, and Nick been less successful, exposing our weaknesses sooner and forcing our hand to balance things earlier.

It's one of those things that's easy to say after the fact, but virtually impossible to do in real time, because it's counterintuitive and almost emotionally impossible to purposely stifle momentum. This is where our coaching panel earns its pay.

The good news is that we're clear on top and still have time to regroup, even if the bounce of the ball will need to be well in our favour. In some ways we're looking a gift horse in the mouth, being clear on top. The sequence is uncomfortable (over-achieving too early, almost), but there's time, and you do reckon the thought would've crossed minds before, as hard as it can be to talk down success when you're winning.

Here's hoping we all look back, whether this year or over the next five, and say this moment was our making.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Jezza wrote:
Collingwouldn't wrote:That'd be 2 flags in 8 Grand Finals. Positive? Hmmm ...
Not really focusing on the end result of those Grand Finals.

I'm trying to emphasise that Hawthorn has troubled us for years, even in times where we were significantly stronger than them. The talk of a "straight sets" exit is premature.

There's a lot to work on, but we're not done yet.
I agree, far too many chicken littles here!

Curious Jezza, I’ve read comments on line, didn’t have a way to watch at all, did the dawns do their usual beat him into submission as done have suggested? It was the hawks GF, nothing to lose, will they now target Bont, their young forward and/or Libba next week?
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

pietillidie wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
I think you have made a valid point. With all the media hype surrounding Naicos, some of us might have come to believe that it will be impossible for us to win without him. We have forgotten how we adapted when our ruck division was missing.
The next 3 weeks will be an epic test for our coaches and also for our sports psychologist/s.
In some ways we're the victim of our own and Nick's success. It sounds silly, but in retrospect you'd rather we were exposed earlier than the Melbourne game, and Nick been less successful, exposing our weaknesses sooner and forcing our hand to balance things earlier.

It's one of those things that's easy to say after the fact, but virtually impossible to do in real time, because it's counterintuitive and almost emotionally impossible to purposely stifle momentum. This is where our coaching panel earns its pay.

The good news is that we're clear on top and still have time to regroup, even if the bounce of the ball will need to be well in our favour. In some ways we're looking a gift horse in the mouth, being clear on top. The sequence is uncomfortable (over-achieving too early, almost), but there's time, and you do reckon the thought would've crossed minds before, as hard as it can be to talk down success when you're winning.

Here's hoping we all look back, whether this year or over the next five, and say this moment was our making.
Hope fully this year mate, but I agree with sentiments

“Throw me to the wolves,
And I’ll come back leading the pack”

Fight Pies, now is the time to shut up the lemmings cheering on our “demise”
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

Only comments from that blatant charge with intent to hurt on Daics was cornes saying the free kick was questionable and rockcliffe.saying he is a stager.and no MRO.

Unreal.
Buon Giorno
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

think positive wrote:It was the hawks GF, nothing to lose?
They even had a live band pre-game and at half time, the Badloves.
Get back on top.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Big T wrote:Only comments from that blatant charge with intent to hurt on Daics was cornes saying the free kick was questionable and rockcliffe.saying he is a stager.and no MRO.

Unreal.
I was hoping the club would be on the phone to the AFL about it. Like we should have done ages ago when Sydney started it, which just gave a green light to every other club to push the rules to the limit with Nick. No other player cops what Nick has been getting, he’s the new Ginnivan and just expected to put up with shit other players don’t have to. The AFL wouldn’t tolerate it for any other player. This is way beyond just a hard tag and physical footy. And where the **** is Dangerfield and the AFLPA!
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Cam wrote:
think positive wrote:It was the hawks GF, nothing to lose?
They even had a live band pre-game and at half time, the Badloves.
Yep I had a bad feeling as soon as I got to the G and saw we were outnumbered by Hawks supporters.
Collingwouldn't
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Collingwouldn't »

think positive wrote:
shawthing wrote:
think positive wrote:aggghh im so pissed off! $$%^%%$ asswipe bont weill probably steal tyhe medal

Why? Bontempelli is not only a brilliant footballer but a class person as well. Why are Collingwood fans so bitter about great players at other clubs? The fact we usually don't recruit them?
because i hate my hubbies bandwagon $$%^%%$ family who have only ever tolerated me they have had far more joy than they $$%^%%$ deserve, him included
Thanks for clarifying things.