Qualifying Final. Magpies v. Demons. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

There's nothing much in the VFL. We've managed to kick just 2 goals for the match 8 minutes into the last quarter. :cry:
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Not loving the thought of a wet track come Thursday.

Feel that suits the contested game of Melbourne better than our transition one though I guess if we can't get close to breaking even in clearances and ground ball gets we aren't winning no matter the conditions.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

swoop42 wrote:Not loving the thought of a wet track come Thursday.

Feel that suits the contested game of Melbourne better than our transition one though I guess if we can't get close to breaking even in clearances and ground ball gets we aren't winning no matter the conditions.
Long range forecast from BOM has very high probability of variation from the actual prediction. Morevoer, a dry warm week is predicted until Thursday, so there won't be too much moisture on the ground,
Moreover, with a forward line with Ginni, Beau, Hill and BillyE, we don't mind the ball coming to ground level at all in F50. Will mean that we need midfield clearances, as you said, and as you said we won't win unless we break even. We also need McStay and Checkers in F50 to occupy May and Lever, with "someone" (a Texan) drifing forward to ensure the ball gets knocked to ground. in fact in some ways wet conditions do us no disservice: Cox in the ruck, just thumps the ball forward at any cost, and gets maybe 5 out of 10 at least, due to his height - and go from there. Cameron gives Cox time out in F50.
Contested ball is also a hallmark of our playing style.
Everything just depends on how much pressure we can bring to bear.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Need to kick early goals to set the tone for the game.

I m done with these behinds.

Goals i want goals.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

RudeBoy wrote:There's nothing much in the VFL. We've managed to kick just 2 goals for the match 8 minutes into the last quarter. :cry:
And this result is the reminder just how far the gap between AFL and VFL really is. Despite having a good mix of AFL listed players on the day, probably Bianco was the only Collingwood player who won his position. Williamstown are a good VFL team ( finished fifth out of 21 clubs ) and have no affiliation with any AFL clubs. To see so many of our AFL listed players fall short against decent VFL opposition only suggests they would be even further exposed against any AFL team. Admittedly Ryan, Carmichael, McInnes and Johnson weren’t given opportunities to shine on the day but of those that were, virtually all fell short except Bianco and possibly Ruscoe.
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Any one tempted to select Kruger for thursdays match i am.

I think he is top form and can provide something up forward.

Thinking the same for reef as well but has a shoulder low grade sprain.

Other then that Mcrae and carmy.

But like the thought of Kruger coming back.
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

nope,
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

90 nice wrote:Any one tempted to select Kruger for thursdays match i am.

You only ever state half the case mate. Who would you drop for those two?
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

90 nice wrote:Any one tempted to select Kruger for thursdays match i am.

He was terrible in the VFL game. When he finally took a mark in the goal square, directly in front, he missed the goal entirely!!!! He needs to improve his skill level considerably over the off-season before coming close to forcing his way into our senior team.
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

Not sure if ANY of the VFL AFL listed players could successfully win or hold down a spot in our best 22…ever, I’m sorry to say.
Bianco’s a tryer and gives everything but lacks any sort of real weapon in physical and skills arsenal - not big, not quick, not great decision maker, doesn’t have a penetrating kick, not great overhead mark, no tricks or anything special or standout about him, would definitely not cause any concerns for opposition match ups etc.
Carmichael very beige, no personality, seems very vacant, has a go but just doesn’t appear AFL standard even though gets a bit of the pill and can kick the occasional goal…was impressive when unknown and first came in but subsequently found wanting when opposition started paying him more attention…not clean or explosive enough. Would fit in perfectly at St Kilda, Freo or Dons. Should have kept C Brown who was at least capable of giving more and who BTW has had a stellar 2023 in the VFL.
McInnes seems to have the skills and physical attributes to make it but doesn’t apply it consistently and seems overawed, wilting under pressure when the acid is applied.
Ed Allen from what I’ve seen has showed nothing that would suggest he could make it. Barely an okay VFL player and rarely even beats his man. Compared to other youngsters coming through at other clubs seems way off. Will not be the gun we hoped he would. Trade to WA for whatever we can get ASAP.
Begg - next. Wish him all the best but not sure if he could make it in the AFLW…has the athleticism but not the type that would ever strike fear into the opposition or capable of dominating. Needs to find some mongrel then maybe…
Kreuger’s an interesting one. He’s not ever going to be the big bodied ‘great white hope’ key forward we thought but should be looked at being turned into that quick, big bodied, intercept marking/spoiling key defender with a penetrating left foot kick we’ll definitely need sooner rather than later if we want to compete week in week out with other teams fielding twin tower marking forwards.
Sorry folks, I’m usually the glass half full type but after watching the seconds play for most of the year I’m not instilled with any confidence at all with our depth….needs serious fixing quick!
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
rad

Post by rad »

Training today was great, a lot of energy.

Focus was running the ball from the backline through to the forwards. Small kicks forward and then handball chains up the wing until we either kicked it to the pocket to the forward or cut it back at the 50 into the middle.

Naicos did running drills up the wing on his own with a fitness staff member. Don’t see him playing any chance this week unfortunately, I was hoping he would be our super sub.

JDG looked ready to go now, running on top of the ground.

Fly was interviewed for the crowd after training. Fly said it was one of their sharpest training sessions all year.

Fly introducing a new tradition for the supporters. During finals a flag will be draped at the Holden Centre and before each game the march to the G will be led behind the flag, in any war the army marches behind a flag Fly said. Flag gets handed over to Fly or Moore at the G where it goes up in the rooms and then back the Holden Centre in the window after the game.

No injuries from training. Only minor concern I saw IQ had his thumb/wrist heavily bandaged and during a physical 1 on 1 drill he hurt it and was holding it for a while but he went again. Not sure if it will hamper his marking ability or touch if it’s that heavily bandaged on Thursday.

Pies by 4 pts.
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

Going to be a slog. Unfortunately we’re still a true KPD short which exposes the defence to quick penetrating kicks forward to big mobile marking targets. Similarly, we still need that strong one grab marking KPF capable of taking the game by the scruff ala Cloke, Rocca (x2), that straightens us up and installs confidence to drive the ball forward long and high. The lack thereof causes way too much indecision and over possessing by our mids.
Have you ever noticed how much effort we put into our goals when other teams (Bris, Carlscum, Dees, Port when Dixon’s in) can just go bang bang bang and have a shot for goal?
I’m concerned the opposition rarely has to work as hard as we do for a score and are capable of closing the gap (even a lead of 24+) at any stage by imposing quick free flowing footy to their twin towers over our plodding condensed huddled masses…similarly the number of ‘out the back’ goals teams score against us is worrying.
Fly, Leppa and Bolts et al know what they’re doing and have considered this….I’m sure they have a solution and plan in place.
A nail biter….Pies by 9
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

I’m usually glass half empty but I’ve just got this burning feeling that we will flick the switch and be the dominant team we were come mid season.
Seems the boys are ready, seems they’ve been set for this game for a long time (hence some poo performances).
Maybe it’s the weather.
Pies by 25 (after taking the foot off the pedal), prelim by 50, Granny by 65.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

Said by Zed wrote:Going to be a slog. Unfortunately we’re still a true KPD short which exposes the defence to quick penetrating kicks forward to big mobile marking targets. Similarly, we still need that strong one grab marking KPF capable of taking the game by the scruff ala Cloke, Rocca (x2), that straightens us up and installs confidence to drive the ball forward long and high. The lack thereof causes way too much indecision and over possessing by our mids.
Have you ever noticed how much effort we put into our goals when other teams (Bris, Carlscum, Dees, Port when Dixon’s in) can just go bang bang bang and have a shot for goal?
I’m concerned the opposition rarely has to work as hard as we do for a score and are capable of closing the gap (even a lead of 24+) at any stage by imposing quick free flowing footy to their twin towers over our plodding condensed huddled masses…similarly the number of ‘out the back’ goals teams score against us is worrying.
Fly, Leppa and Bolts et al know what they’re doing and have considered this….I’m sure they have a solution and plan in place.
A nail biter….Pies by 9
None of this supposed weakness has emerged this year. If it had, we wouldn't have finished a game clear on top of the ladder, with the highest percentage as well. Having these extra tall timbers, would make us slower. Our game is built around fast ball movement and a flexible constant moving forward line. I'm confident we'll produce back to our best football on Thursday and beat the Dees by 20 points.
Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Bucks5 »

I cannot help but think that the AFL will do everything to orchestrate a Collingwood/Carlton final. Watch Melbourne get a dream run with the umpires.
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?