Sea / Tree Change and or Retirement

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Bruce Gonsalves
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Bruce Gonsalves »

stui magpie wrote:^
Nah, squish it every day. Glad you're enjoying it, I googled Paradise Beach, F me you're out of the way.
It is a way out, around 2.45hr from where we sold up but nothing like my parents moving 17,000km to Australia!

I've located a disused water bore under a couple of concrete slabs. Hoping I can get it up and running.
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

^^ Just far enough. No day trippers and no crowds.
kill for collingwood!
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

2.45 hours is how long it takes me to get to Toc, in nsw ON THE Murray and plenty of crowds during summer and easter, provided the beches are open.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Bruce Gonsalves

Gotta be careful of the occasional white pointer on our beach. Not sure if you have that on your beaches Stui?
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Only in the old Hoges definition of the White Pointer.

ie, woman with very large bust wearing the bikini top she bought when she was 12. :lol: :wink:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Bruce Gonsalves

Golf again this arvo. 43 off the stick for 9 holes, which included a 9 on the 2nd hole. Hoping for sub 40 soon.
Bruce Gonsalves

There's a few fires around us at the moment, copters are water bombing near the Golden Beach-Loch Sport Rd which has been closed. Most of yesterday we were under watch and act. We should be fine as there is a massively wide fire break across a dry lake. Tomorrows rain should put it out.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:Golf again this arvo. 43 off the stick for 9 holes, which included a 9 on the 2nd hole. Hoping for sub 40 soon.
Geezus, 43 off the stick is good. I recently changed my grip and stance. First couple of times went OK but last game everything was shithouse. Back to the driving range next week methinks.
Bruce Gonsalves

stui magpie wrote:
Bruce Gonsalves wrote:Golf again this arvo. 43 off the stick for 9 holes, which included a 9 on the 2nd hole. Hoping for sub 40 soon.
Geezus, 43 off the stick is good. I recently changed my grip and stance. First couple of times went OK but last game everything was shithouse. Back to the driving range next week methinks.
I'm really loving the golf after a 15-year break. In the 'burbs a round of golf became an all-day affair which I couldn't justify.

I too have made some adjustments. Stance, ball placement and keeping it simple. These things I make non-negotiable. Every shot now, I have a mental checklist which I follow.

I also bought a 'chipper' which I can hit a green from anywhere within 100 metres, probably has saved me 4-5 shots a round.

Keep at it Stui, it's a great game.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:There's a few fires around us at the moment, copters are water bombing near the Golden Beach-Loch Sport Rd which has been closed. Most of yesterday we were under watch and act. We should be fine as there is a massively wide fire break across a dry lake. Tomorrows rain should put it out.
Best of luck, it’s going to be a bad season and couldn’t have come at a worse time. This is definitely the earliest I remember major fires in Victoria, even 19/20 we weren’t supporting NSW till late October.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:There's a few fires around us at the moment, copters are water bombing near the Golden Beach-Loch Sport Rd which has been closed. Most of yesterday we were under watch and act. We should be fine as there is a massively wide fire break across a dry lake. Tomorrows rain should put it out.
my sister just told me there is a watch and act for paradise beach, also sent me security footage from last night at the house next door, the whole sky is red, todays shot at her friends place it looks clear but you can see the red reflected on his roof. (shes in the city working, the other is at their farm past Romsey, so safe)

I hope you have your documents and treasures packed, and a plan for any animals, just get the hell out if they say evacuate or you see it coming closer, even if you think you don't need to.
stay safe mate, cheers
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Bruce Gonsalves

Hi guys. Long story short. We evacuated at 6am. All good. will update later.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:Hi guys. Long story short. We evacuated at 6am. All good. will update later.
good to hear, hope your place survives all the same, cheers xx
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Ditto. You're OK first of all, hope you have a home to go back to.
Bruce Gonsalves

So... yesterday morning we receive a phone call from our neighbour at 5.30am to evacuate. Went outside and the sky was glowing to our left. Checked Vic Emergency website and the warning was 'prepare to evacuate'. The next warning would have been 'too late to leave', so yes we packed quickly. Co-incidentally, we were heading to Melbourne that day so we had packed a suitcase the night before.

The wind was blowing really strong and it was unusually warm for that time of the morning. Checking the BoM website later the temperature at 4.30am was 12 degrees and wind 7Kmh from the south, really pleasant. By 5am the temp had risen to 27 degrees and wind was blowing 46Kmh from NNW. Truly bizarre. We stopped at Golden Beach and spoke to the CFA. They told us to go straight to Sale, which we did. We stopped up the road a couple of K's away to look back and we saw a huge wall of flames in the distance between us and our house. I honestly thought our house would be gone.

If not for the fire break of the dried lake, Paradise Beach and Golden Beach would have been ravaged. I'm not sure about embers at this stage but some of my golfing mates are CFA, so I'll hear some stories later.

We stopped in Sale and had breakfast at Lake Gutteridge then continued to Melbourne where we are now. Watching the News this morning the reporter was doing her bulletin from Lake Gutteridge which is now flooded after heavy rain where we parked yesterday. How bizarre?

We're fine, doggy is fine, house is fine and the garden has had around 100mm of rain. Bonus is an extra 20,000 litres of water in our water tank.

Life is wonderful!!!!