Summer Vs Spring

The home for conversation about our AFLW team - the best women's team in the world!

Moderator: bbmods

Which season is better?

Summer (Jan-April. Pre-AFL season)
75%
Spring (Aug-Nov. During/After AFL Finals)
25%

Total votes: 8

Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 63 times

Summer Vs Spring

Post by Presti35 »

Today sucks.

I think an AFLW season leading into the AFL season was more exciting and interesting for viewers.

A day after being knocked out of the prelim, I am finding it hard to be interested in todays game. I've also found it harder to find time to watch these games and have already lost track of whats going on, its round 4?

Are the other teams supporters interested after failing to qualify or being knocked out of the AFL? Or was a summer league better?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

January February much better
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Total waste of time the AFLW should have had it next January February
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

No one will go to aflw now and in particular the last 5 weeks
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

It’s sad but no one cares why would they go the season is done
Even the VFLW is done
Bad idea this time of year
If no crowds then could spell the end of the aflw which I think is a good thing we already have VFLW
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

I actually found time to watch most of todays game. And I felt more into it that all previous rounds so far.

Was good to see a bigger crowd there, even though most of them were in the city for the parade. Could see some Cats and Swans supporters, but plenty of Dons and Pies too.

Was good to see.
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Next AFLW has to be next February March 2023
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Now that our season is over, maybe its a better time to ask this question.

Summer, or spring?
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

The Spring season is competing with AFL finals and although I cant speak for everyone, I feel like not a single person in my friend group, family, or at work have any interest. Either they are too hung up on their AFL teams finals campaing, or they're not into the footy now that their team is out.

Move it back to summer as a lead up to the AFL season.

Are the crowds coming in? Is the TV viewership stronger or weaker?

Another thing I've noticed is the VFLW season and suburban womens leagues have all had their GF and the AFLW season starting in September just feels out of place.

I know several female players, from AFLW, VFLW, and from suburban leagues and I feel that most of them dont like the AFLW season starting in Spring.

That and I've always felt that the AFL Grand Final should be the final game of Aussie Rules Football for the year.

Summer league for me!
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Always think January and February are the best time of year to do the AFLW.

Its a good introduction to the year.

I would like to see an annual Collingwood v Carlton AFLW game played on New Years day.

And have it alternated so 1 year we play them at Ikon then the next we play them at Vic Park.
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Presti, with more games to be introduced for the AFLW as part of the new CBA, the AFL will have to move the season.

If they keep the start date to September, the season will run up until Christmas.

I would much prefer it run concurrently with the VFLW season - or at least part overlap - so that players could be brought up from the lower level to cover injuries etc.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

yep 100% like the finals coninside with the start of the vflw so it blends in.

After this aflw then what.

Time they blended both comps.
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Still prefer jan/feb/march

or say mid feb into march and the gf played in april say as a curtain raiser to round 1 of the afl at the MCG.