Israeli–Palestinian conflict

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Israelis are also now seeing right through malignant narcissist Netanyahu. Self-serving destabilisation, faux tough talk, the support of lunatic extremists, and the undermining of reputation does not a secure nation make. These are widely published numbers in the Israeli media.
A Nov. 3 poll found 76% of Israelis want Netanyahu to resign. On Nov. 7, a leading pro-Netanyahu newspaper reversed its stance and ran an editorial calling for his ouster after the war. Polls taken last month show Netanyahu would lose if elections were held now.
https://www.npr.org/2023/11/11/12117671 ... s-war-gaza
Per recent polls, 70 to 80 percent of Israelis say they believe Netanyahu should resign after the war for his responsibility in the 7 October attack by the Gaza resistance.
Nearly sixty percent of Israelis are in favor of a ceasefire in Gaza to secure the release of prisoners held by Hamas, according to a new poll published by Hebrew newspaper Maariv on 10 November.

“Against the backdrop of increased American pressure and raising the issue of prisoners to the top of the list of priorities among the public, 59 percent of Israelis conditionally support a humanitarian ceasefire in Gaza, with the main condition for them being the return of all the prisoners,” Maariv said.
On the question of suitability for the Prime Minister position, Minister Benny Gantz (former defense minister) … receives 52 percent support compared to 26 percent support for Prime Minister Netanyahu.”
https://new.thecradle.co/articles/major ... oners-poll
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

slangman wrote:
David wrote:Who are the anti-Semites on the forum? Name them and point to anything they've said that's anti-Jewish. It's a big accusation to make.
The majority of sympathy on here is for the Palestinians even though there are NO reports of any of Palestinians fighting back against Hamas and condemnation of the atrocities that they have committed.
When posters on here lay the majority (if not all) of blame on the Israelis that could only be from a point of either conscious or subconscious antisemitism.
Hamas has publicly stated that they will not stop and you expect the Israelis to just show restraint. Surely you’re not so naive to how the world actually works.

Btw, do you condemn Hamas for using the citizens of Gaza as human shields or is that just propaganda?
This conflict has two sides and history says that it’s always easier to blame the Jews.

One poster has even suggested that the terrorists were probably Israelis as an excuse by the government and IDF to attack Hamas. Not sure how the mods missed that one.
I did not say ‘probably’ at all. And don’t be gutless, the poster was think positive.

I went back I said ‘The response has been overkill. In fact it’s so over the top I would not be surprised if they were Israeli and looking for an excuse, it’s like a bad movie’. If you have read all my thousands of threads you’d know action movies are my favourite thing, so I see conspiracies everywhere.

I could have said extremists, but normal people able to carry on a normal conversation knew what I meant.

Edit, reading back because I’m getting confused between 2 posters, how exactly do you expect the vastly out numbered and figuratively imprisoned People of Gaza to retaliate?
Last edited by think positive on Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive

Post by think positive »

KenH wrote:
slangman wrote:It still amazes me how many anti-semites on this forum barely raise an ounce of sympathy for the murders in cold blood of Israeli men, woman and children by those Hamas medieval barbarians who broke the truce on October 7th.

Too many on here with their small token of sympathy for the murdered Jewish people which is always followed by “yeah but….”
I have never been anti Jew but Netanyahu is making it very hard to like him and unfortunately he is hurting all of Israel. He will lose a lot of support and I feel for the Israelite's that sympathises with the Palestinians. I don't support Hamas but I do support the Palestinians.
This

And this is what has always bothered me in the tavern. Because you disagree with something the coach does, that means you’re not a real fan.

I’m not anti Israel or Palestine. They are all people. I don’t care what religion they are. I just don’t get how in this day and age this is happening.

First up I was on Israel’s side after seeing the footage at the concert, but gees They have really lost the plot. Almost like they want to wipe the strip ofthe face of the earth. Meanwhile some general or something calls the shots and innocents on both sides die.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

think positive wrote:those kids are not in this thread. Caring about one lot of kids does not mean I don’t care about another group of kids. We just are not talking about them here.
They don't have to be in this thread to make a point about children dying for far less reason than this war but the attention going where Murdoch and other media moguls want it.
Flagpies
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

David wrote: Lastly, I don't particularly want to play this card, but my partner and son are both Jewish. So needless to say I am not anti-semitic, and nor do I have any tolerance for anti-semitism. If I or any of the other mods saw any such rhetoric in here, it would be taken down and the poster would be warned. But we're not going to censor criticism of Israel, because that is fair game as far as I'm concerned.
That's pretty much how casual racism thrives and baulks around the rules, I suspect you know the 'intent' in most cases but are hamstrung, the far right become the biggest whining victims in creation if you ever god forbid hint at doing or saying what they get away with on a regular basis.
Flagpies
think positive

Post by think positive »

Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

The pandemic, inflation, rise of fascism across the globe, 2 major wars with the real one on the way US vs China over Taiwan, they make 90% of the semiconductors for next generation weapons if you ever wondered why they are so important.

Honestly when it gets to this point (and I got here without mentioning the environment) with the wealth of the world now concentrated in too few hands and people starting to listen to the 'strong mans' solution it never ends well, but this time actors are openly threatening nukes and that's a little more than a bad day so for gods sake stop reading the Hun and watching Sky, they are propaganda machines with no other agenda than your destruction.
Flagpies
Woods Of Ypres
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Woods Of Ypres »

Until both Hamas and idiot Netanyahu are out of the picture there will be no progress in the region. both are extremists.

I didn't mind the former prime minister Ariel Sharon. If you remember he orchestrated the Israeli disengagement from Gaza around '05 when he rightfully dismantled the Israeli settlements. I remember the settlers crying and carrying-on but hard to sympathize. Some progress I thought.

Hamas and their violent ideology are terrorists. It does not recognize Israel and will never negotiate. The Fatah movement were at least a bit more diplomatic. Too progressive for Hamas though, back to the primitive.

As for the current conflict, I believe the Israelis are entitled to enter Gaza and retrieve their citizens held as hostages. Its tragic civilians are killed in this type of warfare, from bombs mostly. collateral due to high-density. this is not genocide, this is war.

Hamas could not give a stuff if their civilians are killed as long as Allah is pleased. I've seen the videos of October 7, allah akbar while slaughtering families. same as ISIS really.

Until they are removed the region will continue to suffer.
Same goes for Netanyahu.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Woods Of Ypres wrote:Until both Hamas and idiot Netanyahu are out of the picture there will be no progress in the region. both are extremists.

I didn't mind the former prime minister Ariel Sharon. If you remember he orchestrated the Israeli disengagement from Gaza around '05 when he rightfully dismantled the Israeli settlements. I remember the settlers crying and carrying-on but hard to sympathize. Some progress I thought.

Hamas and their violent ideology are terrorists. It does not recognize Israel and will never negotiate. The Fatah movement were at least a bit more diplomatic. Too progressive for Hamas though, back to the primitive.

As for the current conflict, I believe the Israelis are entitled to enter Gaza and retrieve their citizens held as hostages. Its tragic civilians are killed in this type of warfare, from bombs mostly. collateral due to high-density. this is not genocide, this is war.

Hamas could not give a stuff if their civilians are killed as long as Allah is pleased. I've seen the videos of October 7, allah akbar while slaughtering families. same as ISIS really.

Until they are removed the region will continue to suffer.
Same goes for Netanyahu.
Sharon was a fascistic war criminal who infamously allowed the Phalangists in Lebanon to massacre Palestinian refugees in 1982.
"The most notorious was his collusion with the Lebanese fascist Phalange in the September 1982 massacre of over 3,000 Palestinians in the Beirut refugee camps of Sabra and Shatila, following the Israeli invasion and occupation of Lebanon.

The Israeli government-appointed Kahan Commission concluded that Sharon, as minister of defence and commander of the occupying force, bore “personal responsibility” for this barbarous crime. But he was never prosecuted and remained in the Israeli cabinet."
https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2014/0 ... r-j13.html

Watch the film: "Waltz with Bashir" to understand the nature of this.

I have no political sympathy for Hamas. Explaining the horrific crimes of the Israeli capitalist state does not imply support for Hamas. And the crimes of the Israeli capitalist state are not confined to Netahanyu, they extend way back through Sharon, Begin etc.
That is because the entire Israeli state was based from the very beginning on the dispossession, and massacre, of the Palestinian populations who lived in this region in 1948, by Zionist militia aided and abetted by imperialism.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Woods Of Ypres wrote:Until both Hamas and idiot Netanyahu are out of the picture there will be no progress in the region. both are extremists.
There is never going to be any progress, it's a hot mix of cultures, hatreds and ignorance with trillions of dollars of oil poured over a small region that is sacred to 3 of the biggest religions in the world, and they all claim it and have done for centuries, and just to make it interesting a 75 year old decision that's never going to go away ensures everyone is going to be at this til the nuke drops.
Flagpies
David

Post by David »

think positive

Post by think positive »

That’s an horrific read David. I just can’t understand how humans are capable of such cruelty and deprivation.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

think positive wrote:That’s an horrific read David. I just can’t understand how humans are capable of such cruelty and deprivation.
It is not "humans" in the abstract who are capable of such cruelty. Don't ignore the millions who are rallying each week across the world in opposition to this horror.
It is the ruling elites, the capitalist class in Israel, backed to the hilt by the ruling elites (and capitalist class) in the US, Britain, France, Germany, Australia, etc who are fully embracing the Netahanyu government's slaughter of innocents in Gaza.
The vast majority of the world's population is nauseated, and violently angry with the fascist genocide that the israeli government is prosecuting. As yet though, we have not found the way to stop it. That will require political leadership above all else.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins