Parliament House sexual assault and harassment allegations

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Wasn't really that far out. In his article he said the payment was "believed to be $3M" so he didn't state for a fact that it was $3M. He also noted in the article that Higgins rejected the amount but declined to provide the actual figure.

Can't see why he'd be in any trouble.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Jezza wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:^ I don't see how there could be equivalence. She's not been accused of raping anyone - and certainly not in two different cities.
No, but they're both known liars.
I haven't paid that much attention, but gees, she isn't coming off too pretty in this now!

Thing is regardless of earlier kissing, touching whatever, you still get to say no, but if you put in a rape claim you need to tell the whole story, or once people find out those missing details all credibility is lost.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Agreed and I also agree with TP. In a rape case, it essentially comes down to one persons word against the other. When the person making the claim is repeatedly found out having not been truthful in their statements, it casts doubt on the credibility of their accusations.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

So it seems Higgins and her partner have taken the payout and run, moving to a little village called Lunas in the south of France
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

What’s become evident is that both Lehrmann and Higgins are both extremely untrustworthy.
I don’t believe a word that comes out of either of their mouths.

A good outcome would be to send them both off to jail for breaching security.

As for Wilkinson…100% ego driven.
- Side By Side -
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Culprit »

^^What's been exposed in all this is the lack of Police access to Parliament House along with obtaining CCTV. It's ridiculous but not surprising that the Federal Police can't access the information. In saying that, what goes comes around and like many, I am waiting for the next court case to take place in Toowoomba.
slangman

Post by slangman »

David wrote:Edit: I actually posted this before seeing Slangman's post above, which, in suggesting Higgins be jailed, is kind of saying the quite part out loud. :shock:
I’m not quite sure which part “is kind of saying the quiet part out loud”.
- Side By Side -
David

Post by David »

I wrote a post saying that people were acting as if Higgins was guilty for being raped. You went one step further and actually said she should be thrown in prison for being coaxed into Parliament House, while she was off her face, by a guy who may have allegedly had the intention of taking advantage of her there and then may have allegedly done just that. I guess no-one could accuse you of being a softie.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times

Post by What'sinaname »

slangman wrote:What’s become evident is that both Lehrmann and Higgins are both extremely untrustworthy.
I don’t believe a word that comes out of either of their mouths.

A good outcome would be to send them both off to jail for breaching security.

As for Wilkinson…100% ego driven.
add Sharaz to that list.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
slangman

Post by slangman »

David wrote:I wrote a post saying that people were acting as if Higgins was guilty for being raped. You went one step further and actually said she should be thrown in prison for being coaxed into Parliament House, while she was off her face, by a guy who may have allegedly had the intention of taking advantage of her. Who ever said chivalry was dead?
I think you are putting words in my mouth by suggesting that “she be thrown in prison for being coaxed into Parliament House”.
No security passes but then are permitted to enter both Parliament House and
Minister Reynolds office at 2am.
There are as many holes in her story (and the role of David Sharaz) as there are with Lehrmann.
I have trouble believing either side.

P.S I know someone who was wrongly accused of sexual assault.
Luckily it didn’t get reported to police as the woman years later admitted to fabricating the story as revenge for being dumped.
Sadly not all mud can be washed off.
- Side By Side -
David

Post by David »

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I just had a thought, Grundle may have been even closer to the truth with his $3M than first thought.

IIRC, the payment was broken up into amounts for different things, including an amount for potential future earnings. Some of that is taxable, particularly the future earnings bit.

It's not unusual in settlements to refer to "net" amounts when making payments, so if you agree to pay $1M in lieu of potential earnings, you have to gross that up to around $1.6M to pay $1M net and $600k to the ATO.

In that case, if the court documents were Net amounts and Grundle was talking Gross amounts, he may well have been spot on.
slangman

Post by slangman »

- Side By Side -