Pre-Match. Pies v. Swans. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Jezza
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 191 times

Pre-Match. Pies v. Swans. All comments.

Post by Jezza »

Round 1. Friday, March 15. MCG. 7.40

Collingwood v. Sydney.

In: Jeremy Howe, Finlay Macrae.

Out: Tom Mitchell (Managed), John Noble (Sub)

Let's hear ya !!
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Jezza
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Noticed a pre-match thread hadn't been created yet, so I thought I'd get ahead of Donny and start one.

Hopefully he doesn't mind. *No probs, mate. All good. Donny :D

Exciting to be back at home and unfurling the flag. Haven't seen any details on the unfurling and what time it will start. Hopefully the club releases some details soon.

From what I can gather and my memories of 2011, I think it's advisable for supporters to arrive early so they don't miss it.

On the game itself, I'm hoping for the return of Howe as we need some height down back, otherwise I think it will be necessary to bring in Frampton.

Elsewhere, I'd like to see opportunities given to McInnes and Macrae. I think McInnes for Johnson will and should happen.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

^^^
i know AJ had a shocker.
But it does no one any good to be dropped after one game.
give him a handful and then drop him if needed.
Same with COX
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

WE lost last week to GWS, which are a 4 goal better team up there, we lost by 5 had more scoring shots, and at least 9 players way down, out of sorts, including Pendles. THAT wont happen again. NO way Jose. Swans beat a disunited rabble in the Deees, racked by internal problems, at their pissy chardonnay tiny oval. THIS is at OUR MCG, our turf, we unfurl the flag, the magpie army salute, then we get down to real hard work, to quote Fly. WE wiil be in a filthy mood too, out to make amends. Woods by 20+ points.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 153 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mattdally »

In: Macrae, Frampton, Howe
Out: Cox, Dean, Noble
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by piffdog »

^^ I'm not sure we'll make that many changes. Would see a little panicky - BUT we probably need to do something about the backline. Maybe just HOwe for Markov? Johnson gets another go, MacRae has to wait a bit longer.
Pendles will ccumulate more than 2 touches by half time surely...
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

One of the biggest match-up headaches for us is who has the physical attributes to counter a player that is 195cm - 80kg athletic, skill-full and runs like a whippet in Nick 'the lizard' Blackey. He's a generational talent.
McCreery possesses the requisite pace but gives away 15cm.
WHE also gives away 10cm, however he can play the utility role of defense and offense.
Oleg Markov I can't recall playing a defensive role up forward, but the physical match-up aligns.
I'd like to see the coach give McInnes the call up and set him the task. He has the height at 194cm and has the pace to match Blakey. I really like when a coach presents a task to a player, and I reckon early season is the time to do it as opposed to experimenting late in the season.

Howe, if declared fit or Maynard I'd expect to play on Hayward.
Howe is an option if Blakey starts to cut us up. Moore and Dean can manage Amartey and McClean.
If Howe is ruled out, entertaining Frampton as the sub needs to be considered although you'd rarely see a big man as a sub, more likely to be given a start.

I'm really looking forward to the Booker Cameron on Grundy duel. Booker's pre-season and opening game sees him in great touch, and I reckon he'll relish the task.

We'll see what develops this week on the training track / injury updates, however on match-ups alone I'd run with this ~

Out : Johnson, Dean, Mitchell
In : Howe, McInnes, Frampton
Sub : Noble

EMG : Noble, Dean, Macrae
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:40 am, edited 7 times in total.
2023 AFL Premiers
piffdog

Post by piffdog »

^ Quaynor on The Lizard? Or are you sending him to Papley?
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

^the Lizard would thrash IQ, not the right match-up. I'd expect IQ on Papley although Noble having put on some extra kg's across the chest might also get a chance given he can match Papley's speed.
Papley is strong in the upper body and likes to push his way through contests, IQ won't let that happen.

I'd play McInnes on Blakey. We're better off experimenting now than later on in the season. I like the notion of giving McInnes a task. Akin to putting blinkers on a horse, it'll keep him focussed. Not many are beating McInnes over 30m.

SEN just reported @JoshGabelich @AFLcomau
Jeremy Howe trained fully this morning and is expected to return against Sydney. Fin Macrae in the frame to play on Friday night.
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
2023 AFL Premiers
mattdally

Post by mattdally »

Said it last week and I'll say it again. If Noble plays we lose
Said it last year before the first final against the Dees.
piffdog

Post by piffdog »

This is really helpful analysis…

So his presence in the team is so detrimental as to guarantee a loss? Hard to imagine such a negative influence from just one player. And by inference if we just don’t pick him then we are guaranteed to win?

Frampton is arguably a lower ranked player (according to statsinsider) and yet he was in the team GF day and guess what happened… Noble played in the first 23 rounds last year and from my memory we were pretty handy in the H&A season.

Just don’t get the hate on this guy. Yes he’s a bit small, and yes he’s not the game’s greatest player, but would be a staple in a lot of teams and has never been the single source of failure of our team.

Be funny if he plays and we win…
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

mattdally wrote:Said it last week and I'll say it again. If Noble plays we lose
Said it last year before the first final against the Dees.
I'll wager a 2024 priced MCG Four’N Twenty if Noble starts, he'll be in the AFLCA votes...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2023 AFL Premiers
joemamone@gmail.com

Post by joemamone@gmail.com »

AJ should be dropped he should never been selected ahead of McInnes in the first place.
Believer
Take_a_Screamer
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️