Random News Stories

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

^Yeah, fair point. Considering Chimpanzees and humans share 98.8% of DNA, I guess Carlton Supporters must be around 99.5% :mrgreen:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Even AI has gone woke.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/media/googl ... ite-people

Big Tech is manipulating AI to support their left wing, white hating agenda.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

AI hasn't "gone" woke; it's just a shifting product of programmers and companies that may have biases and rules (or, in this case, overcorrections of biases) in different directions.
I think you vastly overestimate Big Tech's political commitments to, well, anything.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

Nah, AI is being programmed as woke. Not condemning pedophilia is no left wing Big Tech.
AI will soon have drag queens read you output.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Maybe I'm over estimating it, but isn't AI supposed to be capable of learning as it goes?
Apart from a few likely hardwired parameters up front, with 10's or 100's of thousands of people running queries every day, wouldn't it's "attitude" start to reflect prevalent societal ones?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

This is one of the great ads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8amRg2n-L6o

Kia is marketing a new ute that's coming, as yet unnamed, and they make this ad with a bevy of Aus sporting legends as part of a tease campaign. Love it. (I wouldn't buy one, not a personal fan of Kia, my daughter had one, but the Ad I like)
Watch the ad, how many different sporting celebs can you spot? Love the Skull cameo. :lol:
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 153 times

Primate breeding establishments and facilities in Australia

Post by LaurieHolden »

This is not an effort to stir the PETA pot, but I found it interesting there are two primate breeding establishments and facilities in Australia.
A baboon breeding facility in outer Sydney and the National Primate Non-Human Breeding and Research Facility, managed by Monash University in Victoria.
Research includes studies into diseases like HIV-AIDS and much of the research into understanding the human brain and nervous system.

The facility’s permit allows for housing of up to 850 marmoset and macaque monkeys. Very few people have seen inside.
However, recently released (under Freedom of Information) Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) now give a glimpse into the lives and living conditions of the monkeys inside.

So if you live near Lawless Road in Churchill in the Latrobe Valley and your chooks start disappearing, there might have been a breakout...

https://michaelwest.com.au/animal-cruel ... kly+Update
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
David

Post by David »

What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

COVID claims another victim in Armaguard. Fewer legal cash transactions has made them unprofitable.
Let's be honest, cash is only used for criminal activities these days.
David

Post by David »

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

What'sinaname wrote:COVID claims another victim in Armaguard. Fewer legal cash transactions has made them unprofitable.

Let's be honest, cash is only used for criminal activities these days.
Trash and treasure markets, garage sales, Bunnings and election booth sausage sizzles.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

^ the latter all have tap and pay these days.
Garage sales have long been replaced by Cash Converters initially, and since then eBay and Marketplace.
Trash and Treasure markets have all but gone by the wayside too.

I know I can go a full month and more without having to handle cash at all.
I also note that in recent trips abroad, I have only used card. Hence why currency converters are disappearing in the suburbs.
David

Post by David »

Tbh it’s pretty rare for me to handle cash nowadays. I started giving Ingmar a $5 weekly allowance for doing his chores, and it’s been quite an effort to actually ensure I have that (or anything whatsoever) in my wallet at any given time!