Game Day. Pies v. Lions. Late changes, comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I tipped against us first two rounds. But I’m on the fence today, it’s hard to call.
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

I'm getting excited - expecting a big improvement and hopefully an against the odds win
I think therefore I think - I think
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 153 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Mother nature has delivered blue skies and 27 degrees up here in Brisneyland today. Ground will be completely dry by the bounce, I suspect it's likely there will be a bit dewy, but otherwise perfect conditions.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

It will be great if we can get up for this one. I have my doubts, especially since Brisbane has just come off a freely gifted rest from the AFL (surprise, surprise as Gomer Pyle would say).

But go Pies. With a bit of last year's spirit anything is possible.
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Of the listed IC the Sub has to be either Noble or Crisp, the other 3 must start.
My bet would be Crisp, let Mitchell start in his 200th game then sub him out for Crisp early in the 3rd to inject fresh legs into the middle.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 153 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

stui magpie wrote:Of the listed IC the Sub has to be either Noble or Crisp, the other 3 must start.

My bet would be Crisp, let Mitchell start in his 200th game then sub him out for Crisp early in the 3rd to inject fresh legs into the middle.
I'd certainly start Crisp on the bench and make it clear, impact when you come on or the next game will be in the magoos.
Issue is though, Crisp is a one-sided player, no real right foot, rendering him easier to defend against and reduces his effectiveness through the middle.
I'd give Josh a run through the middle late if the game allows and return Crisp to the half-back line.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Jezza wrote:This has all the hallmarks of a classic "backs against the wall" victory if we bring the heat and intensity required. The Lions are not getting much press coverage for their winless start to the season, so an opportunity presents itself for us.

Noble for Markov is a sensible change. Noble's earned the inclusion after a strong VFL showing, and Markov hasn't looked up to it this season. I know Sidebottom is being "managed", but I would have liked to have seen him in the side again despite a lacklasture start to the season so far.

I'm hoping Fin Macrae starts. Getting sick of him being the substitute and I don't think constantly having him on the bench is sending the right message to youth and fringe players who are trying to break into the senior side.

If we're 0-4, I still don't think the season is a write off. I'd be more panicky if we lost tonight AND lost in Gather Round against Hawthorn. I'll be looking at our overall performance, style of play and whether we can reduce the number of scores we concede from turnover.
all of this!!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

dont care on this one take the losse and move onto the revenge match v hawks.
time we tho started to see some signs of a reponse.
more like a rinse and repeat line up from last week tho.
but happy with nobles inclusion.
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

agreed, you will make the finals with 9 losses, so we have a few up our sleeve
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Takes 1 win and we are away be it anothr week to wait.
Click and mojo back.

Like this headline tomorrow morning.
Pies are back
or
Lions grand final still haunts them
or most likely

Lions atone from the blues match and too good at home
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

My head says that it will be the last comment. I hope I’m wrong and would love to be proven wrong
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Jack Crisp is the Sub, just named. If he doesn’t get on the ground, will his consecutive games played record end tonight?
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

The Black and White Lion wrote:Jack Crisp is the Sub, just named. If he doesn’t get on the ground, will his consecutive games played record end tonight?
no
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Ok.
Well the good news is Macrae is in the 22! Hope he gets the full game and can handle the due. Hopefully all our players can handle the slippery conditions
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

At the game
The ground is water logged but it does drain well
It likely won’t be as quick as some expect given the conditions
It’s fine here at the moment snd no more rain expected tonight
Spoke to Leppa before the game and he said there had been a couple real pointed conversations this week to a few players about output v expectations
He said there’s a clear and defined message for the team that starts and ends with pressure and pressure acts.
He’s quietly confident and said hes seen a change in mood during the day by the players who in his words are focused and wanting to get the season finally started

Hearing Crisp will be the sub
Will report in more once I watch warm up