2024 Injury tracker (please quote/link source).

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

"Scans have confirmed Scott Pendlebury sustained a rib fracture during the second quarter of Sunday’s Gather Round match.
The 388-gamer will be monitored across Collingwood’s bye week and will be assessed to determine his availability for the Magpies’ Round Six clash against Port Adelaide. A further update will be provided next week.

Nathan Kreuger has suffered a setback in his return and is set to miss a further two to four weeks. The 24-year-old had been cleared to play after recovering from the hamstring injury he sustained during pre-season but suffered a minor calf strain during training last week that will delay his return."

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1 ... rs-setback
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 153 times

Injury Update

Post by LaurieHolden »

Scans have confirmed Scott Pendlebury sustained a rib fracture during the second quarter of Sunday’s Gather Round match.
The 388-gamer will be monitored across Collingwood’s bye week and will be assessed to determine his availability for the Magpies’ Round Six clash against Port Adelaide. A further update will be provided next week.
Nathan Kreuger has suffered a setback in his return and is set to miss a further two to four weeks. The 24-year-old had been cleared to play after recovering from the hamstring injury he sustained during pre-season but suffered a minor calf strain during training last week that will delay his return.
Young ruck Oscar Steene is progressing through the concussion protocols as recovers from a knock to the face in pre-season. The 20-year-old will be assessed for contact training early this week and will likely be available for selection in Collingwood’s VFL clash against Carlton on Sunday.
Nathan Murphy (concussion), Harry DeMattia (finger), Josh Eyre (hamstring) and Dan McStay (knee) are all continuing to progress through their individual rehabilitation plans across the Club’s AFL Bye week.

Source :
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1 ... rs-setback
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

Thank you Mr Laurie Holden.

Positives:
* Steene back in harness- excellent- get 4 games into him and then unleash in the AFL- we have precious few 'assets' over 200cms who can play forward- time to see what this lad can do.
* De Mattia progressing- he is exactly what we need in terms of run- the game is getting much quicker and we need some speed.
* Eyre progressing- backline depth; Howe can't go on forever and he might be the 'Murphy replacement' we crave.
* McStay healing- - I'm more of the view that we put him back out on the park Round 1 2025.

Negatives:
* Pendles must miss- why on earth would we play a veteran who has a rib fracture? give the man time to heal and come back for ANZAC Day followed by Carlton
* Murphy still absent- -nI agree with an abundance of caution with head injuries knowing what we know now about cumulative knocks. If one considers the retirements of Brayshaw, Seedsman, Liam Picken and others due to head knocks, it would be no surprise if Murphy were to pull the pin. Having said that, a heroic and impactful return would not surprise in the least.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Mc Stay looks amazing today
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Steene has been named to play in the VFL tomorrow.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Take_a_Screamer
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Oscar Steene suffers setback in return from injury ~
Collingwood have suffered another blow on the injury front with 20-year-old ruckman Oscar Steene leaving the field at IKON Park with a foot concern.
https://www.zerohanger.com/luckless-col ... ry-149484/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
warburton lad

Post by warburton lad »

Dear Lord....
The Magpies must have broken several mirrors this year.
How many taller types are injured at present???Steene, Kreuger, Murphy.
Hopefully Steene only suffered a rolled ankle- not great but preferable to syndesmosis to be sure.
LaurieHolden

Injury Update Round Six

Post by LaurieHolden »

2023 AFL Premiers
think better
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

Looking forward to DeMattia being able to show his wares in the VFL in the very near future
I think therefore I think - I think
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Steene out for 3months after surgery on his dislocated toe. Poor chap. But Krueger is back and Eyre not far away. We will need another tall who can play straight up in the MSD
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
LaurieHolden

Round 6 Injury Update

Post by LaurieHolden »

2023 AFL Premiers
warburton lad

Post by warburton lad »

Thank you Mr Laurie Holden.

On balance, this is good news for the Magpies.

Steene, hopefully, will be in the gym pumping weights for the next 12 weeks.
He has a good frame that should be augmented by a solid three months of weights.
Krueger, De Mattea and Ryan will be welcomed back into the VFL programme. As will Sullivan and Harrison who were held over for the Coburg match. Just need to get games into all five of them.
Eyre is an unknown quantity, but has the size which may be useful, at least to the VFL when he gets back on the park.
McStay continues to tick all of the boxes- I still would hope that he can be managed through 2024 for a successful return in 2025 but, it seems, that he at least is keen to get back out there this season.
My reading of what Mr Laurie Holden has posted is that McStay will be back in contact training around 20th May. I am no surgeon/phsyio, but I would imagine he would be expected to continue to tick boxes for at least 8-10 weeks after that before a possible return to VFL at the start of August.
If he gets through two games there, he might be a chance to play AFL in the last few rounds. MIGHT- being the operative word.

I am more bullish than some about the depth of our squad- there are some young kids there working on their game and physiques and hopefully we will see some come in to plug holes caused by injury.

Floreat Pica.
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

warburton lad wrote:I am no surgeon/phsyio, but I would imagine he would be expected to continue to tick boxes for at least 8-10 weeks after that before a possible return to VFL at the start of August.
If he gets through two games there, he might be a chance to play AFL in the last few rounds. MIGHT- being the operative word.
If the Club sends him out in August, then expect to see him join Krueger as a regular on the Injury Update into 2025.

Refer ~
https://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtop ... &start=450
2023 AFL Premiers
Brown26
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Brown26 »

The thing with ACL's is it's not a time based thing, it's about targets and continuation through the programme - if you get your range of motion back, then your strength back, then your agility back, then your contact based training done, you can play. Normally that takes 12 months, but if it only takes 9 or 10, you shouldn't be held back.

I think we've all been scarred by David Schwartz who from memory came back about 8 months from his first ACL only to do it again (Correct me if my memory is wrong) but I reckon 8 or 9 months is a realistic target if you're number 1 lucky, number 2 motivated and number 3 resourced to achieve it. The "no ceiling" policy at Collingwood and the resources in the department achieve numbers 2 and 3, is McStay lucky enough to have a knee that will allow a 8 or 9 month recovery? I'm not sure, but if anyone deserves a bit of luck he does given that he basically got us to the granny only to not be able to play in it!

- Ben
Donny
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Donny »

Thanks, LH. Good info.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D