#36 Dane Swan

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Culprit »

It's time to build a Dane Statue in Jacana.
Swanny2011
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Swanny2011 »

Loved him.
I used to go to the footy sometimes during his peak and did not watch the team but just watch him play. He was a unique football talent. Wasn’t as graceful as Judd, Pendles, Ablett etc. but just as effective. A Goalkicking midfielder who had enormous strength in contests and was able to power out of contests with speed. Was incredibly smart he knew where to run but most importantly knew when to run to get the ball (which you can’t teach) just burned off opponents with his speed and stamina. Like all great players he had superior core strength and was able to shake off the tackler as well as using that same strength effectively in marking contests.
This wasn’t talked about much in the media but I believe the way his career finished by a collision injury (A couple of bone breaks in his ankle) was a tragedy! If not for that occurring, I truly believe he could have played for at least another 2-3 years at Collingwood (may even had played in the 2018 GF) as he hadn’t had many soft tissue injuries up until that point and hadn’t lost any speed or power.
Anyway sometimes and particularly at Collingwood players are branded as ‘great players’ without any validity. But Swanny was truly a great player!
Thanks for the memories Swanny!
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

The details have faded, but I do remember thinking from his earliest days at the club, I couldn't wait for him to come into the firsts. IMO, from the start, he was clearly a step above.

I loved watching his Dad, a real Gun. It was a case of the Apple not falling far from the tree.
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

Culprit wrote:It's time to build a Dane Statue in Jacana.

Tarkyn Lockyer wants one as well.
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Swannie, how we luv ya. !! The Rat Pack lives on.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

A true club and footy legend. He is the go-to name whenever an administrator or club starts getting too high and mighty, putting face and appearances ahead of people. Everyone does it differently, and everyone makes mistakes. That's a huge impact to have on the game and its culture for the better.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
stoliboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by stoliboy »

This is a great listen.

Dane Swan and Mick Malthouse on Dane’s podcast talking about the Hall of Fame: https://www.swannyandfriends.com.au/pod ... episode-32
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/